Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe
Been buying since the S&P hit 900, but have moved only half of what I planned so far. Don't like putting in a big amount on any one day, and the market has been dropping so fast! Will dribble in the rest over the next month.

Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Finished the second part of the tax-loss swap on Wednesday-- that's why the market dropped on Thursday.

Still need to buy more of an international dividend ETF (PID) but I've spent the last day piddling around with a spreadsheet to see how much cash we really need to keep on hand. Less than I expected. So in the next few weeks we'll move money around and buy more.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
We're still averaging into the market with our regular contributions. In the last month or so we've actually kicked in a bit extra. Hurts to see that shrink, but I'm looking to the future. Still have 28 years until "traditional" retirement age.

Man, our allocation is *so* outta whack. The good thing is that the over-allocation to bonds (due to shrinking stocks) has been protecting us a bit.
nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
still buying, try to put some in each month, but was mostly building cash cushion in Sep & Oct. Bought some GE and ED on Thursday...and some more munis...about a 50/50 split. I think there are lots of bargains out there, wish I had more cash on hand that was not in emergency funds, to get the bargain basement pricing.

Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #25
I'm down about 30% on my last 2 buy-ins. But I'm planning another and looking at doing my 401k catch up contribution in December
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been buying with new money and I wish I had more cash to buy more, but I also want to preserve my current cash accounts as they are.

In the next few months I expect to begin more serious rebalancing with new money.

No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote