Worth reading

if my net worth is 30 times my income...

so if i earn 40k a year, i need to be worth 40k * 30 = 120000$

heck that's a lot!

guitarplayer said:
if my net worth is 30 times my income...

so if i earn 40k a year, i need to be worth 40k * 30 = 120000$

heck that's a lot!
add another zero to your target net worth

Martha said:
Balony. Presumes the need to replace all your income, when you might save a good portion of it. Maybe instead of 30 times income, it should be 30 times expenses.

Of course, once you're gone, your expenses are gone too. Your spouse's expenses don't go away. But the deceased individual's insurance, car payments, food, entertainment, etc. expenses are zero... I don't think the survivor would have half of the pre-death expenses, but there would be a significant reduction.

Martha said:
Balony.   Presumes the need to replace all your income, when you might save a good portion of it.  Maybe instead of 30 times income, it should be 30 times expenses.

Martha! Tell me this is a CHP, because it makes no sense to me. :)

JG

Martha said:
Balony.   Presumes the need to replace all your income, when you might save a good portion of it.  Maybe instead of 30 times income, it should be 30 times expenses.
Yeah, no kidding, and I guess it makes more sense when you're not burdened with a high IQ.

The author also neglects the use of life insurance for estate planning & dependent trusts.

I haven't figured out the insurance thing. But I think it would be based on what is lost when that spouse dies. If you lose 50% of the deceased pension then you would need to replace that. BUT if it is from retirement accounts that gets transferred to the surviving spouse then don't see a reason to protect it. Like I said not fully versed on insurance so this might be skewd thinking and off base. Fire away.

Back
Top Bottom