You know you're an ER nerd when........

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
.....$100k doesn't mean a new car and expensive vacations, it means $5k in annual income.;)

You do mental math gymnastics during staff meetings figuring dist rates and portfolio size increases on a monthly basis.

Terms like 72T make sense to you!

Er-nerd! I knew there had to be a name for this condition ;)

:2funny: Not only that, but one of the major mysteries of the universe to me is why everyone isn't obsessed with ER! Maybe that's indicative of ernerdness as well. :D

AMEN! :greetings10:

My co-workers have admitted jealousy (I have 10.5 years to go!!!) Toast to the ER nerds!

You wonder if the cash bucket should fund five years or seven years of ER--and plot how to change your budget to be sure it could handle both.

You send W2R a muzzle to prevent those sporadic "wheee" outbreaks.

You actually start ordering parts, material & monthly report forms in numbers knowing in the back of your mind they will be just enough to get you to your ER date. All this at least 2 years in advance of that day. :cool:
Steve

.....$100k doesn't mean a new car and expensive vacations, it means $5k in annual income.;)
And for those of us still w*rking, it means a couple more years in the work force versus getting out sooner...

In all seriousness, I have a tendency to look at any and all large purchases this way and it takes a lot to get me to overcome my obsession and go ahead and spend once in a while if it's really a necessity (like the new roof we just put up) or something that will really enhance our enjoyment of living.

You focus on the cash flow cost of purchasing the use of things, rather than the capital cost of purchasing them.

I recently found myself making this case to a friend who is a CEO (about recreational property) and to an accountant (about equipment) and both of them complemented me on "thinking like an accountant". :flowers:

You look at all purchases in percentages of your annual budgeted ER "income", as in, that health club is nice, but is it 1 percent of our budget nice?

Funny you should post this - I just recently hit a target of $100K in a TE muni bond fund I've been building for years and years and years... Expected annual tax free income is about $4K.
Guilty as charged - I be an ERnerd. :cool:

Nerd = Not early retire'd (yet)?

Never Ever Retire Dirtpoor......

You do mental math gymnastics during staff meetings figuring dist rates and portfolio size increases on a monthly basis.

Terms like 72T make sense to you!

I did this one. I also calculated how many additional days travel could be funded by one additional day's w*rk. Other people thought I was really studying the handouts.

I also watched my clothes shopping -- didn't want to end up with a bunch of new stuff that was only appropriate for w*rk.

I did this one. I also calculated how many additional days travel could be funded by one additional day's w*rk. Other people thought I was really studying the handouts.
That's the neat thing. If someone walking past your cubicle sees you working on a spreadsheet, they just assume you're being a good w*rker bee, not plotting your escape.

You spend several years tracking every penny of income and outgo, and rerun your retirement benefits at least once a week.

You run retirement calculators to see if you can retire....even after you have been retired for 10 yrs.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom