Your behavior during latest market downturn ?

• Bought

Votes: 53 23.2%
  • Sold

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Did nothing

Votes: 153 67.1%
  • What downturn

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I ran the asset allocation. Everything was within bands, and I had rebalanced a few months ago, so it was a no-op (for the non-programmers out there, that's a line of code that doesn't do anything).

I began wearing skirts in the late afternoon.

At most I got 3% off target for stocks and I require 8% min to rebalance. But I only compute weekly, so I missed the worst case days.

If a correction takes less than a month to sell off and recover, I'm probably going to miss it for rebalance purposes.

We were rather lucky DMT's. Several years ago, DW had inherited a MF portfolio with IG (Canada's Amerprise). It was a small %age of our combined NW. She has no interest in money other than what it will buy, doesn't mean she isn't frugal, but investing is not her thing. I wasn't about to insist on moving it since any issues after would be "my fault". As well, the "FA" was a friend of her dad's from whom she inherited. He is a good guy (outside of his employment) and she like him. He retired in the spring. After a few meetings with the PFY who bought or inherited the book, she thought moving was a good idea. So, in early Sept. she opened a discount brokerage account and had them move the assets in cash (MF's were proprietary and in kind was not an option). Sale date Sept. 11. 4 weeks later the $ appeared in her new account and went into a few Vangard Canada ETFs. Thank you VG for coming here finally.

So, we being incredibly smart, sold and bought back for about 10% less. When markets drop another 60%, we will have saved a bit </sarc off>

I mainly did nothing, but I did buy 1k worth of a beaten-down oil stock that appealed to me.

Pictures or it didn't happen ! :biggrin:

No way. Remember what happened when you posted those types of pictures on the internet? :)

My friend redduck sent me the photo. He may not call me friend anymore after I post his photo, but I couldn't help sharing it. Even his frilly shirt was custom-made. Overall, a beautiful outfit.

kilt_1024_dpa.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no, Mr. Redduck! I beg for your forgiveness and reconsideration.

I thought that photo of yours was splendid, and that you would not be offended. It was nothing like some photos of kilt-wearers with mishap that one often found on the Web.

And just so you folks know, that thing hanging on the chain in front of the skirt is waaayyy too small to protect me. (duck, I think you doth protest too much. Yeah, maybe I do. I think maybe I should have breakfast now).

Last edited:
a random thought concerning my "timing"(thus far) I seem to be better at getting in (adding equities) at the right time and tend to get out (way) to early. Gotta sit on my hands!

I invested in both equity and bond index funds with new money and then went for a walk.

Bought AWLCF (another chunk), but only .2% of portfolio and put a bid on SDRL that didn't trigger.
Also, monthly 403b contributions triggered as always.
Was hoping GILD would go down further.

Last edited:
I did nothing but it was more like "stayed the course". Continued my dollar cost averaging for my 401k.

first time I panicked

Sorry, but when you're sitting on huge gains, the prospect of losing those gains trumps everything else. Yes, I have not fully participated in the recent retracement, but I don't need to..... I have been in the market for over 7 years. This is the first time that I decided to protect my gains by selling. I am now at 70% cash. I can afford to coast for a while.

Did nothing...but I paid attention. The change in asset allocation percentages did not trip any limits for rebalancing. If it had, then there would have been some adjusting of my investments.

I did nothing. I have a little bit of money set aside for buying during downturns, but I didn't pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom