Your behavior during latest market downturn ?

Your behavior during latest market downturn ?

• Bought

Votes: 53 23.2%
  • Sold

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Did nothing

Votes: 153 67.1%
  • What downturn

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did nothing.

As someone who sold at the very bottom in 2008 and didn't get back into the market until 2013 -- well, let's just say that I learned a very valuable lesson in a very, very, very hard way :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:. I have picked an AA and I'm sticking to it through rebalancing to that AA when it gets 5% out of whack -- NO MATTER WHAT.

Nothing. Well within my rebalance bands. Back to nap time.

Bought a little bit of SDRL and AWLCF in the collapse of the drillers, but the amount/portfolio is so small as to be insignificant.
Might put a bit of cash/bonds in the 401/403b to work if the correction/collapse/etc continues another 5% since that would come close to triggering stock/bond/cash allocation bands.

I continued as before...plowing 20%+ of my income in MFs even though I had lost my job as a result of the recession and I was working for a temp agency with lousy fund options in their Mass Mutual 401k. Lesson learned, it's better to put money towards a saving account or non-retirement accounts than a crappy 401k that doesn't even match.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I sold some Vanguard Total Stock Market and bought a shale oil stock that was beaten down significantly. I also took a small position in Ford.

I did nothing although I was tempted to buy a few percent of equities. But I did have an interesting experience tied to the recent volatility. Last Wednesday I opened the door to my mailman and he popped out the question, "do you know anything about investing." I think he has seen both financial mail and Federal Government related mail and guessed I might know something about the Federal TSP. Kind of an odd way to seek financial advice (which I told him) but what the heck. Well, this turned into a 20 minute discussion of his TSP account. He was about a 60/40 stock to bonds investor and was panicking and thinking of bailing to the G fund (principle guaranteed Government bond fund). He is 43 and hopes to retire in 14-15 years. I counseled the standard mantra around here about leaving things alone. I pointed out that 60/40 is not aggressive for someone his age with a 15 year work horizon and a COLAd pension. He seemed reassured. Then yesterday I saw him again and he told me that he panicked on Thursday and bailed entirely to the G Fund - both current holdings and prospective contributions. Now he was feeling like he made a big mistake. I assured him that he did. We kicked things around again for another 20 minutes, going over the fact that volatile changes are not real gains and losses unless you sell into them, covering the fact that many investors jump in and out of the market, losing ground with each move, blah, blah. He said he was going to reverse his actions and make a hard nosed commitment to avoid market timing. I told him that would be good if, and only if, he can really avoid jumping in and out like he is doing this week. Otherwise he would be better off staying entirely in the G Fund. This is a nice guy, not at all dumb. I can see why the average investor doesn't stay close to the market as a whole. You can lead a horse to water...

Last edited:
I checked my AA and it is reasonably close to target so I did nothing. I'm finding that with my AA it takes a pretty significant market move to change things enough so I feel compelled to rebalance. All my asset classes are within 1% of target so there is nothing to be done.

If by "latest" you mean the last couple of week's little burp, nothing.
Normally I would buy a little, however we are starting our project to build our next house.

Most likely we will be putting all of our cash towards that through this. If the downturn is more significant and lasts into next year we may add a bit.

I had one equity to equity rebalance, so neutral behavior there. I also repeated two or three Roth conversions to take advantage of shares that had dropped more than 10% since my initial conversions earlier in the year. Most likely those losing Roth conversions will be recharacterized later, but no rush.

What did you do, if anything during this past market volatility ?

Buy, sell or did nothing. If you rebalanced that means you either bought or sold.

Also would like to know your rationale.

Thanks in advance.

Made my annual $$$ move from IRA to ROTH IRA.
mostly Vanguard Health Fund
Rational: Hopefully the $ I moved will be worth $$$$$ down the road
and I would of paid taxes on $ not the $$$$$.

Did nothing YET. Wasn't enough to meet my triggers.

Is some of my stock funds are still down in Dec I might reinvest the distribution. Otherwise I'll rebalance when I withdraw in early Jan.

I was referring to 2007/2008 for clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I was planning to buy on the 400+ Dow drop but it bounced back so I ended up doing nothing.

I still have to make my annual move from tIRA to Roth. That is coming soon.

Cheers!

Sold Call Credit Spreads and Put Debit Spreads to make money from the downturn. Nice return :)

We are still investing, so every two weeks we invest more into our 401(k)s and every month I buy more in my taxable account. I use the new investments to rebalance if the AA gets too out of whack, so back then I was mostly buying more stocks.

I've been buying more bonds lately, but may have to adjust that again too, depending on how things go over the next few months.

I could not vote b/c there was no category for "trade." I usually trade when there is a market volatility. It can be best characterized as buy (don't wait until it goes so) low and sell (don't wait for a peak) high.

My behavior during this correction was as always in accord with the highest moral principles.

Your post reminded me of the following quote.

"The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been caught." -- H. L. Mencken

Well, I only regret when I buy high and sell low, that is when it does not work. Wonder what it makes me. :)

Oh, I know. They call that a DMT. But when it works, will they call me rich?

I bought a little, less than 1% within the IRA account, more because I wanted to learn how to do it at Vanguard and I hadn't done anything with it since I opened the account last March. Called them on the phone, a nice guy walked me through it and I won't have to bother them again.

Bought an extra .5% in Total US Stock Market at the (so far) low as part of my semi-monthly purchases with some cash that was laying around.

I am sitting on some cash but have been busy and haven't purchased anything, yet.

Back
Top Bottom