Your behavior during latest market downturn ?

Your behavior during latest market downturn ?

• Bought

Votes: 53 23.2%
  • Sold

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Did nothing

Votes: 153 67.1%
  • What downturn

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What did you do, if anything during this past market volatility ?

Buy, sell or did nothing. If you rebalanced that means you either bought or sold.

Also would like to know your rationale.

Thanks in advance.

I had been sitting on a lot of cash and pulled the trigger on some BRK.B that I had been watching for awhile.

I did nothing. I'm newly retired and plan to live off cash and real estate proceeds for a while. So I'm letting my portfolio sit and hopefully it will recover before I start dipping into it.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Bought SCHD.

Why? Cache pays 0% yield SCHD pays 2.65 dividend with tax advantage....

Did nothing. Would like to have gone on a shopping spree, but am in withdrawal phase and do not have spare cash.

What I did was not a choice offered in the poll. I traded some losers for other stocks. This allowed me to book some losses for tax purposes.

I bought individual stocks in my taxable stock account. I'm still working and in the accumulating stage for retirement. I buy and sell off and on through the year.

Did nothing. Still pretty close to my target allocation. During the year I have been reducing equity by spending dividends and selling some equity fund shares. Even with the down-tick I am still within my target range.

A stock market down turn is like buying milk on sale. I buy a little each month, from a healthy short term muni bond fund, and when the market turns down I double up on my purchases lowering my overall long term buying average. So, if the market turns down another 3 to 5%, I'll double down again. I've been doing this for the past 15 years and it really works!

I added to a couple of dividend stocks during the downturn and plan to add more if the drop continues.

Nothing. It has been a pretty minor pullback so far.

If it goes down more in the next week or so, I'll do a roth conversion.

I know volatility is unsettling to some, but I've always viewed downturns as opportunities. When I was contributing to a 401(k) I liked buying more shares for less money. Now, I look at them as roth conversion opportunities.

I voted that I did nothing due to the fact I am within my rebalance bands. Plus ER is in the not too distant future so big moves are becoming a thing of the past.

Nothing. Still buying every month just like I have been for the last 25 years.

Bought stock in a tin foil hat manufacturer.

Nothing - except post some threads here and read up on the flurry of activity of others.

I think my vote when the wrong way. Lol.

Did buy Ford for in-laws. And contemplating buys with about 5 pct extra cash they have in a brokerage. Maybe oil.

We've only looked so far for our accounts. I'll probably max the Roth accounts sometime this weekend.

I bought in smallish amounts with some excess cash. I picked up shares of a couple stocks that were beaten up absurdly badly, added to SCHF, and did a couple swaps (one to harvest a loss, one to exit one kind of bond fund for another).

I did nothing. I'm still within my rebalance bands, so there wasn't anything to do. :D

There was a market downturn?

Yes, from 2007 -2009. Surely (not "Shirley") you remember? ;)

Or, to paraphrase the great philosopher, Crocodile Dundee: ' Maw-kut dawn-tun? 'at's naught a maw-kut dawn-tun! (pointing to 2007) Now 'at's a maw-kut dawn-tun!

-ERD50

Last edited:
I reached my thresholds for purchasing international stocks and U.S. small caps earlier this week, so I am a net stock purchaser so far. More significantly, I reached my thresholds for selling bonds for the umpteenth time in 2014, so I sold a bunch of bonds early in the week. The bond rally subsided a bit by week's end, so I repurchased some of the bonds I sold earlier, making a small profit on the round trip.

Last edited:
I did nothing. I'm still within my rebalance bands, so there wasn't anything to do. :D

+1

Today I am right at my planned AA. I was a little off due to market gains earlier in the year, but this recent sell-off took care of that for me.

I did nothing.

Oh, ok. I checked to see the stock ticker to see how many points the dow dropped. Other than that, nothing.

I bought.

Due to some personal life changes, I had rebalanced my portfolio from 65% to 60% equities right before the volatility started. For once I timed the market correctly!

The ensuing market drop put my equity % lower than I preferred so I bought some more shares with new money and with rebalancing from bonds to equities on a few down days. I probably could have left it alone but for now at least I am back at 60% equities.

Last edited:
I sold some during September, have yet to buy back in.

Back
Top Bottom