A couple of weeks into Retirement.....

DFA

Recycles dryer sheets
Well it has been a couple of weeks and it still seems like I am on vacation:cool:, maybe it will change, I have been very busy with house projects and honey do list while she still works (DW has 18 months left on her plan).

I am evaluating a new hobby astro-photography, I have been to the local observatory and joined the local club; going to a star party this Sat. before I spend any money on equipment I need to know I want to do this.

Also, looking a metal detecting as another hobby, just checking out stuff I think I will be interested in.

I have gotten a couple of call from my ex-boss to do some contract work, I told him a $1,000 a day and he agreed, should of asked for more:facepalm:, so I have done a day and a couple of hours.

I also got an email from a friend that wants some of my time for some contract work, but I don't know, feels like I am being sucked back into work:facepalm:

Well everything else is going great, joined a gym with a friend and we are working out 4 days a week, I am glad about this since I need to loss some of the, stress and sitting behind a desk weight I promise I would loss to DW. She worries about me and me getting healthier.

She thinks I am dumb to help out ex boss and friend and maybe getting back into work and bad habits.:nonono:

Wow - sounds great if you ask me ! $1,000 a day to fund a new hobby is not bad at all. Just watch for scope creep and remember - anything you do is on YOUR terms now !

I love the astro photography hobby idea and the fact that there are group activities around it also. Funny, I was just looking at the brouchure for the YMCA since that is something I want to do once I retire.

Good for you for making so many positive starts to your new life so quickly.

Enjoy it ! You now have time to actually smell the roses !

Sounds like you are off to a great start. People who actively engage in new hobbies as soon as they retire seem to find retirement most enjoyable. It's a big life change from going to work every day and having so much structure and heavy demands to deal with.

As for the consulting opportunities, I would recommend you just see how you feel as they are presented to you. If they sound fun, simple, and relatively short, no harm in doing some to bring in a little fun money. When they begin to sound like drudgery, time to put on the brakes and go back to your hobbies.

I've found working part time to be very enjoyable. But if it becomes a bit too much, I hope to know what my breaking point is. So far it's all been fine. Hopefully you will find just the right blend to make this work just right for you.

Congratulations and enjoy!

I agree. It helps to have taken DW for a 15 day vacation to the Grand Cayman Island! It is over a hundred degrees warmer than North Dakota right now! Ha!

Determine your rate for contract work by taking your old hourly rate, add 25% for overhead, SS, etc, etc. Very justifiable and a common practice in the consulting world.

Like the others have said, it really does sound like you're starting off on the right foot. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom