Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
FWIW, I entered the terms " simplisafe tamper hack " into the Google machine and this was the first entry it returned:

(dated Feb 23 2016)

The article provides an overview of the vulnerability, and a link to the original article which discusses it in much greater detail. I scanned through both to see if there was any mention of the vulnerability extending to similar systems such as Frontpoint. No explicit mention of other systems, as far as I could tell. But the subject matter is beyond my understanding so I'm not jumping to any conclusions - I'll leave that to others.
Thanks Rosie,

There is also a link in the comments of that article to a response from SimpliSafe. Both are probably worth reading for anyone using that system.

Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #22
The folks who break into the homes around here can hardly spell their own names, let alone use devices to capture packets (when the security system owner is setting code) and disarm a system.

......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
There's also this one: Using SimpliSafe Home Security? — You're Screwed! It's Easy to Hack & Can't be Patched
Target FI age /year: 50/2025
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #24
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The folks who break into the homes around here can hardly spell their own names, let alone use devices to capture packets (when the security system owner is setting code) and disarm a system.
That's generally the case everywhere. Folks smart/educated enough to capture packets also know easier and less risky ways of raising funds.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:03 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
We got an alarm system because my wife once came home to an intruder in the process of burglarizing the house. I installed an Ademco Vista 20p panel to the existing wiring, and added motion sensors and keypads. It's monitored by Alarm Relay for less than $10/month and they've been very responsive. You can buy internet or cellular modules and also expand to wireless sensors.

Be sure to ask your homeowner's insurance company if they offer a premium discount. Our discount for central-station monitoring of burglary and fire just about covers the monitoring fee, so it made the choice easy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Most of the houses in our neighborhood have been knocked down and rebuilt with McMansions leaving our small old concrete block home looking like slim pickens. We don't have an alarm system since the other homes are way better targets and we don't have much worth taking that can't be replaced by insurance. The lots are large and very open making it obvious if anyone is at your home and sneaking in on foot limits what you can carry away. If the concern is personal protection the police and fire station is only a couple of blocks away and response time would be no more than 5 minutes in this small town. I doubt if an alarm system would speed that up. When I bought over 30 years ago I bought on the location of the house and it is paying off well for many reasons.

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
I read the two links cited. I have SimpliSafe and frankly am not concerned. From my admittedly layman's perspective, the process seems too complex for the typical opportunistic burglar - which is the typical burglary in my area.
I'll still keep SimpliSafe and will sleep at night unconcerned.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm not endorsing it (have no idea one way or the other), but I did notice that WOOT has the SimpliSafe2 (8 pieces) on sale today for $209.99. They occasionally have some pretty decent deals, and sometimes run out of sale items pretty quickly.

txtig is offline   Reply With Quote