Home security system?

NoEZmoney

Recycles dryer sheets
So we had installed a Napco hard-wired security system in our house when we bought in '92 and it has worked really well. But the local company that did our install and monitoring got bought out by a bigger company from Texas (not local) and specializes mostly in commercial work. The few staffers from the old company who stayed on have told us (privately) that we should get a different company as they're not too confident about their new bosses and operations.
We've had some issues with remote-testing of our system which does a random test and beeps from the keypad indicating a breach/entry somewhere. We call the company after we get up and reset but the monitoring calling center is a voice-recording and not live as it was before. When we check during office hours (dumb since we're paying for a live monitoring service) they look at their data and tell us nothing showed up on their end.

Soooo.... we have a system that doesn't chat well it seems and they've sent out a few techs who did some adjusting but nothing worked. I'd like to just update the keypads and control boards and update the smoke/heat sensors but the hardwiring and entry points look fine and work when I test them myself.

Anyone have any similar experiences with upgrading a hard-wired system?
We don't need a Fort Knox set-up... just remote monitoring and reasonable monthly fees and upgrades.

TIA

So we had installed a Napco hard-wired security system in our house when we bought in '92 and it has worked really well. But the local company that did our install and monitoring got bought out by a bigger company from Texas (not local) and specializes mostly in commercial work. The few staffers from the old company who stayed on have told us (privately) that we should get a different company as they're not too confident about their new bosses and operations.
We've had some issues with remote-testing of our system which does a random test and beeps from the keypad indicating a breach/entry somewhere. We call the company after we get up and reset but the monitoring calling center is a voice-recording and not live as it was before. When we check during office hours (dumb since we're paying for a live monitoring service) they look at their data and tell us nothing showed up on their end.

Soooo.... we have a system that doesn't chat well it seems and they've sent out a few techs who did some adjusting but nothing worked. I'd like to just update the keypads and control boards and update the smoke/heat sensors but the hardwiring and entry points look fine and work when I test them myself.

Anyone have any similar experiences with upgrading a hard-wired system?
We don't need a Fort Knox set-up... just remote monitoring and reasonable monthly fees and upgrades.

TIA

There are some fairly current threads here that discuss this at length. But yes, there are ways to upgrade a legacy system to make it "smart" enough to work with today's technology. Here is one of those threads:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/home-security-systems-103480.html

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/advice-needed-for-home-security-system-94893.html

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/home-security-systems-106709.html

Back
Top Bottom