Am I alone? Or do others find themselves trying to actively disengage from the news?

Personally I think there is manipulation by the broadcast media to make you think that you “should care” about every little bit they bombard you with. Just like the commercials do. It’s not a lack of empathy gene - it’s a matter of perspective. Of course you have to step back and decide what is really important.
All news and current event programming has this as a core objective. They are telling you what is relevant and on what topics you should focus your attention. Some media outlets do it better than others. This is why it is critical for us as individuals to have a clear sense of priorities, take the initiative to look for news and information that is relevant and pertinent to our priorities, learn to focus and filter.

Your quote brings up the perfect example of why I try to ignore the news. In the case of the shooting, it is very sad, and making one sad for even a single day adds very little value (all negative) to my life. The fact is that in a country of 330 million people, bad things are going to happen. Nothing will stop it. Hearing about these (and similar) stories will do nothing for me but make me depressed about something I can do NOTHING about.

Since there are so many choices for "news", the outlets can tailor the stories for the audience they wish to woo for their advertisers...and they do. No real way to stop that, either.

This is a good example of a story I have chosen not to be informed about other than knowing it happened. We have so many mass shootings in the country, and apparently many by mentally disturbed individuals. I don’t need to know the details ad nauseam of every single one.

This is a good example of a story I have chosen not to be informed about other than knowing it happened. We have so many mass shootings in the country, and apparently many by mentally disturbed individuals. I don’t need to know the details ad nauseam of every single one.

+1 Well said!

My sister found this and passed it along, right or wrong. :cool:

Guess there might be a few top center I could try out. I’ve never sought out AP or Reuters directly, but I see them used as sources all the time.

I would not rely on this Meme/Graphic it certainly is biased as well.

Guess there might be a few top center I could try out. I’ve never sought out AP or Reuters directly, but I see them used as sources all the time.

Midpack, that's a great chart.

I rarely stray out of the "green" for news. Once I do, I know I'm going for a take or more entertainment and opinion than actual information.

Hmm... NPR is pretty high and center, considering all the bashing earlier in this thread.

I don't listen very often, but it seems like pretty intelligent, factual reporting... and definitely more in-depth than you typically get elsewhere. Yes, there is a liberal bias, but I've always thought the discussion and analysis were remarkably balanced and civil.

I would not rely on this Meme/Graphic it certainly is biased as well.

IM(biased)O, the chart is a decent approximation, though I'd shift the whole thing a good bit.

But I also think it doesn't really matter. Best to assume everything you read is biased, and if it matters to you, research it. Even if a certain outlet is considered to be not so biased on average, any particular article may be very biased. You can fall into a trap that way.

I was thinking of the "Trust, but verify" quote, but really, when it comes to the media, it is best to say "Don't trust, verify".

-ERD50

The purpose of the "news" is to get attention, sell their stories, and make money through advertising. Shock value, push button issues, and keeping things stirred up are good ways to keep people coming back. Same as the TV shows. Only with TV...guns, sex, and violence keep viewers attention to coming back each week. The National News and TV shows are mainly about entertainment to me anymore. Local news is still mostly news around where I live.

I don't find the news per se all that interesting, but I do find commentary and analysis interesting. That can be enlightening.

I too have decided to avoid all the mass shooting news. But the fact that I am doing that really bothers me. I think the really right thing for me to do is to be outraged by all the mass shootings and protest in the street and work to get things changed (I have tried all this in the past). But I find it just to emotionally disturbing and the protesting I have done in the past does not seem to do any good. I am deeply disturbed by this.

I agree, but I don’t think we can afford to ignore it.
Here's a story from today.

Driver says Eagan couple ‘freaked him out,’ so he ran them over, according to charges.

A man charged with fatally striking a husband & wife in an Eagan parking lot last week told police they “freaked him out” so he deliberately drove “fast and hit them hard,” according to the criminal complaint.

If that's not bad enough, towards the end of the article, we find this.

Officials say he was on probation for 3 other felony convictions, including vehicle theft, third-degree assault of a correctional officer, & fourth-degree assault of a psychiatrist.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/...out-so-he-ran-them-over-according-to-charges/

I knew I needed to stop watching the news so much after being in a yoga class. I was looking at the door and wondering where I would go if a shooter came into the room. That's not where my mind should be during a YOGA class. Sad.

I stopped watching and usually leave the room when my husband has the news on tv.

I have always paid attention to the news, both financial and other. However, I find myself getting more and more depressed with each news story. Whether it is the Left hating the Right, or vice versa, or yet another story of wanton violence, or the same conflicting opinions of the same "facts" about financial markets and the economy. None of which I can materially influence.

I agree. The amount of vitriol in the media and especially in politics disgusts me. I am reminded of the quote, “we only listen well enough to formulate a response, not well enough to truly understand.” The lack of statesmanship in our government is appalling...

I agree, but I don’t think we can afford to ignore it.
Here's a story from today.

Driver says Eagan couple ‘freaked him out,’ so he ran them over, according to charges.

A man charged with fatally striking a husband & wife in an Eagan parking lot last week told police they “freaked him out” so he deliberately drove “fast and hit them hard,” according to the criminal complaint.

If that's not bad enough, towards the end of the article, we find this.

Officials say he was on probation for 3 other felony convictions, including vehicle theft, third-degree assault of a correctional officer, & fourth-degree assault of a psychiatrist.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/...out-so-he-ran-them-over-according-to-charges/

... so are they charging the folks on the parole board :confused:

obviously someone has not done their job

or the offender is let out to provide employment for the law enforcement departments

... so are they charging the folks on the parole board :confused: If I was in charge, yes they would

obviously someone has not done their job Absolutely

or the offender is let out to provide employment for the law enforcement departments You never know :)

I have other ideas on why events like this are happening more frequently, but I can't state them here (too political)

PS: Love the Levenson quote!

Fake history! :) But it is illuminating to read many accounts of the same era and first-person from people who lived through different events.

Media presentation seems so black and white, then you go into the history of any current issue, and it's not like that. Vague but I don't want to start any disputes.

Back in the stone age when I was in college, I took a special history course for honor students that taught history from the losers point of view. It was very "educational."

Personally I think there is manipulation by the broadcast media to make you think that you “should care” about every little bit they bombard you with. Just like the commercials do. It’s not a lack of empathy gene - it’s a matter of perspective. Of course you have to step back and decide what is really important.

My main filter is asking myself "What does this have to do with me?".

Now, not to set off a storm here but now I get most of my news now from Twitter. (Don't hate me!! Stay with me here.). I never tweet but just read 'headlines'. You get to choose what news you want to see.

I don't get into all the crap, nonsense and celebrity stuff but limit my account to follow my local paper, police and local TV stations --stuff that does affect me--and a few life-affirming areas (The Dalai Lama, etc). Like this forum, I avoid the political inputs. You don't have to get tweets from anyone you don't want to see.

Keeps me up to date without all the noise. Of course my local TV station has a bias but there's enough of real information (fires, traffic, arrests, weather) to get through it quickly.

Checked out of tv news a few years ago, except for NBR, which I listen to as a podcast. I do check the Google news feed and will drill down on an item if it seems like something I'd like to know about.

I find that chart biased by Media Biased, the creator.:(

For me the challenge is finding the right balance.

Too easy nowadays to get bombarded (seems like everywhere I looking there is so called "breaking news" of one sort or another). The in your face tiles or ads disguised as news on websites don't help either. At the same time, don't want to avoid any news at all and be uninformed. I have the same situation with FB. Either feeling bombarded with many feeds I really don't want, or want to start ignoring. Need to find the right balance.

Like in Karate Kid... need balance...wax on, wax off :cool:.

Me neither

The news stations are just so off-putting with the vitriolic attacks on whoever they don't support; repeated and lengthy analysis of simple facts, especially when they don't have anything new or interesting to say about happenings; reports on the destruction of our planet (plastics; deforestation; genocide of animal populations) and knowing that nothing is being done about it. Their version of an upbeat story is "the ocean is full of plastic and one 12-year old boy is picking up garbage!". Yay. I find it all very depressing! Makes me want to move to a small log cabin on a mountainside and just watch the sunsets every evening...

I get all of my “news” online. Much of that isn’t really “news” because it is so tainted with an opinion, whether left or right. I find myself so addicted though, just like a smoker or an alcoholic, that I can’t seem to quit. I want to. I...just...can’t....

That said, I manage my own investments, like many or most of us here, and the thought of missing something that may work for me or against me is also pretty unthinkable. But, I do need to cut back. If I don’t, I’m gonna need to add more blood pressure meds.

When we are in France, we watch France 24 in English and get everything we need to stay current. No editorial crap. Sometimes we watch RT but I have limited patience for them. My LG Smart TV provides France 24 on streaming in Mexico. Of course Mexican TV is all in Spanish about Mexican politics which we ignore.

BTW we have made out pretty well by ignoring politics and government. Since we have zero influence and find it upsetting, why would we spend any of our precious remaining time on it.

Last edited:
Back in the stone age when I was in college, I took a special history course for honor students that taught history from the losers point of view. It was very "educational."

I suggest the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me" for a dissection of many of the American myths we hold near and dear.

I suggest the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me" for a dissection of many of the American myths we hold near and dear.

It sure was very enlightening but since it focuses on all the negatives it does get a little depressing, took me awhile to finish it. Another good US history book is "Peoples History of the United States- Zinn". If you depend on the text books used in US schools to learn about US history you will get a very filtered viewpoint.

Nope. You are not alone.

I had mentioned this in another thread, but one of the things I had looked forward to when I retired was getting up late and spending the morning drinking coffee while leisurely reading the paper.

As soon as I retired, I started a subscription to the Wall Street Journal. I soon found, however, that I was no longer interested: Don't care about news events, don't care about politics, don't care about which business is doing what, etc.

I cancelled the paper. Now, I have breakfast and listen to podcasts while doing crossword puzzles. It's way more fun and interesting. :)

I feel the same way. I do get news from Google and Reuters, but given my age it is likely that there will be only two or three more Presidents before I die. So why worry? We've had worse and we've had better. It's my kid's problem.

Back
Top Bottom