Am I getting all I could get out of Netflix?

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I signed up for Netflix, I thought I was signing up for what might be described as an Internet Streaming Video Store.

What I mean by that is that I thought I would have access to a zillion old movies. For example, I was reading an article about Jack Nicholson, and it referenced "Prizzi's Honor" and I realized I had never seen it. Not long ago I had a similar moment about another old movie.

Are these accessible via Netflix? If not, is there a different internet service that would provide such a service?

Login to your Netflix account and then go to search and put in the name of the movie you are looking for. I searched for Prizzi's Honor, but it's not there. You can try the other movies you're interested in to see if they are available. Netflix changes out movies every month - deleting some and adding others.

generally, no, when it comes to movies, both netflix and amazon prime streaming are weaker on that front than they are on original content. A zillion old movies - not their thing. Sure there are some, but that's not their bread and butter.

Movies tend to be found more on the cable channel services (HBO go I can find way more, and better ones, but they also get rotated). Older films, the kind you find on TCM, or those that still command a decent price to buy a dvd, are going to be less common on streaming.

The catalog of movies on their physical disc service (which amazingly, is still a thing) are going be a better bet.

Netflix disk delivery has a massive amount of movies to view. Netflix streaming has far less making it useless for us.

Don't forget your library system also

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We use Playstation Vue. It cost $44 per month, but you get live tv and movie channels too. We are old school where you watch you usual show on the night it's on. We use the DVR function too. You do not need to have a playstation.

If you have a smart tv or a roku, you can download the PS vue app.

Works for us so far (tried youTubeTV and did not like it for multiple reasons)

Netflix disk delivery has a massive amount of movies to view. Netflix streaming has far less making it useless for us.

Phil

ooohhhh, the library. Hadn't thought of that as a movie source. DW and I have recently relocated, and checking out the local library is on our to-do list....now...to find my DVD player after the move....

thanks!

Actually, I found the Prizzi's Honor on YouTube. I can't speak to the quality of it, but it's there.

Three things:

This Google search gave me more than I expected: https://www.google.com/search?sourc...41...........0.lErukzpTrlo&qscrl=1&gws_rd=ssl

To search for movies and tv shows that are being streamed, I use https://www.justwatch.com/us (and, of course, "Prizzi's Honor" is not found. <chuckle>)

Another Google search that may be of interest is https://www.google.com/search?newwi...263i264k1j0i20i263k1j0i20i264k1.0.3umFZ1WeLRo. Netflix (and most other like networks) have to continually add and subtract media -- both to conserve space as well as prevent boredom. Popular Classics drift in and out so it pays to check at least monthly.

FWIW, I have an overwhelming desire to watch the 1961 movie "West Side Story" again... nowhere to be found.

Phil

ooohhhh, the library. Hadn't thought of that as a movie source. DW and I have recently relocated, and checking out the local library is on our to-do list....now...to find my DVD player after the move....

thanks!
I never did Netflix.

Now that we are ER, we have the time.

Does delivery still come as part of the deal? Or do you have to have a separate subscription?

I also have to check out the library. I tend to like the older, obscure stuff and really want to explore it.

Login to your Netflix account and then go to search and put in the name of the movie you are looking for. I searched for Prizzi's Honor, but it's not there. You can try the other movies you're interested in to see if they are available. Netflix changes out movies every month - deleting some and adding others.

I love Prizzi's Honor, want to see it again! Another good one is "Swept Away" the Italian version, not Madonna's version. And "Body Heat", Kathleen Turner at her finest. Boy, now I'm started on movie memory lane and cannot stop!

I never did Netflix.

Now that we are ER, we have the time.

Does delivery still come as part of the deal? Or do you have to have a separate subscription?

Netflix streaming is a separate subscription from Netflix DVDs. I like subscribing to their DVD service due to their ample supply of Blu-ray discs. My blu-ray player makes movies look and sound noticeably better than streaming would.

We had Netflix years before the streaming and only received DVD through the mail. We now have both DVD delivery (2 at a time) and streaming. Not that much extra cost than just streaming and we get a very large variety of movies.

I'm trying hard to "blow that dough". :D

Cheers!

OK. I guess it is time to explore their website and understand my options.

I'm a tech nerd. In early 2000s my co-w*rkers raved about it. But our free time was elsewhere.

Since I pulled the Megacorp plug yesterday, it might be time to explore.

Maybe even cut the cord!

There is a whole new world out there when you are not tethered to The Megacorp. :)

Netflix's disk service is a hidden gem for people who like films and shows that are limited to expensive cable or subscription services. I am currently caught up several cable only shows thanks to their DVD service. It's a lot cheaper than cable TV.

While getting the DVD's takes time, they cover a broad range of shows that could only be duplicated with many subscriptions to many survives. That is my experience.

Last edited:
+1 on the library.

Our library (Denver) allows us to stream films in addition to renting DVDs!! We can each stream up to 8 films a month. The service they use is Kanopy and I can access it through the Roku. I don't know if many smart TVs have that app, but it is something I need to find out.

+ a billion on the library.

They have television shows, foreign TV/movies, documentaries, music, audio/e books... my library system does nation wide searches for some stuff. I've had books and movies from other states!

They even "rent" computers, tablets, wifi hotspots.

Talk to your librarians to see what services they offer and about requesting things not in the system (you can ask them to put things on their purchase list at any time for review).

thanks!
We have not had cable for about 20 years. We find Netflix and the library pretty well cover most of our bases. We catch all of the HBO/Showtime series from the library-we get on the waiting list while the series is currently on cable. Usually get it about 2 months after it is released to DVD.

We have a dozen to 20 DVD's reserved (between our two accounts) at lib., so something comes in about once a week. Works for us-cheap (free) too.

I love Prizzi's Honor, want to see it again! Another good one is "Swept Away" the Italian version, not Madonna's version. And "Body Heat", Kathleen Turner at her finest. Boy, now I'm started on movie memory lane and cannot stop!
1+++++ to Body Heat as a fav.

Back
Top Bottom