Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtjas View Post
Doug, out of curiosity, how do you start looking for property there?
There are many real estate dealers here. If you want a cheap piece of land be willing to stay and look around. Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own. Be very careful. there is a law coming into effect in April that makes it that you have to get a survey to buy land. Before just a bill of sale was enough.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own.
OK, I already had no intention of looking for land there. Even if I did, this statement sure would have convinced me otherwise.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
OK, I already had no intention of looking for land there. Even if I did, this statement sure would have convinced me otherwise.
Boy, it's a good thing we don't have that problem in (as Gallagher says it) Amurrica!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
There are many real estate dealers here. If you want a cheap piece of land be willing to stay and look around. Be aware that there is many bad lawyers and people selling land they don't own. Be very careful. there is a law coming into effect in April that makes it that you have to get a survey to buy land. Before just a bill of sale was enough.
REWahoo,

So much for DR advertising, huh?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Oldest trick in the book: "I know the ropes, contact me and for a small fee, I'll make sure you get a good deal".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
REWahoo,

So much for DR advertising, huh?
Well, here's some DR advertising. If you put in "dominican republic real estate" into google, you'll get a lot of web sites. I looked around for cheap homes with acreage and here's an example. It's been sold, but it's 4BR on 2.25 acres 3 miles from the beach for $99k. Of course, this may have been his neighbor's house he sold :-) There are others even cheaper with larger lots.
Dominican Republic Real Estate Sosua Area : Farmlot 9,000 m2 House + 4 bedrooms Guesthouse 99,000 US $

As far as living in a 3rd world country, it's not for us. I admire D0ug's adventuresome spirit, but not many people can live that disconnected with the culture in which they were raised for longer than a few months. Heck, we really enjoy our condo in Puerto Rico, but after a few months we're ready to go back to the dreary skies, the cold, the I95 traffic jams, and the pollen... really sick, if you ask me.

If we did live in a 3rd world country, it would be in a gringo enclave, but that's too much like living on base, those of you who are military know what I mean. In fact, we did live in a 3rd world country while in the military and enjoyed it but after a while we wanted to get back to the land of the big PX. And it's not just about the 3rd world. We also lived in a modern northern European country for three years and loved it, but were ready to return at the end of that time.

There are gringo enclaves in the DR, around Punta Cana, but they're as expensive as everywhere else.

BTW, as far as advertising, we put up with all kinds of crap ads on the top of the page, so even if he was advertising (which I doubt), at least it's about a retirement topic.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, as far as advertising, we put up with all kinds of crap ads on the top of the page, so even if he was advertising (which I doubt), at least it's about a retirement topic.

I cannot imagine buying property anywhere outside of the US. It is a trap for Gringos.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I can move 10 miles outside my little old town and feel like I'm in a 3rd world country. Might just do that one day. Buy me a few acres in the woods and build the cabin of my dreams.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I can move 10 miles outside my little old town and feel like I'm in a 3rd world country. Might just do that one day. Buy me a few acres in the woods and build the cabin of my dreams.
If that place was in Northern Virginia, it would be declared a "historical landmark" and tax $$$ would be used to preserve it
Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #30

Luxury living. It has a roof, fireplace, natural ventilation. In the new vernacular, Green Living. With renewable resources all around. Zero impact on the energy grid. Algore should have it so good.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Looking at places down here in the 29 Palms area of California - best description by real estate agent so far: see through cabin.

That refers to a 12x12 homestead cabin with nothing left but the studs and a bit of roof - homesteading was going on out here after WW2.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #32

In the Aleutians there were many Quonset huts from WW2. In various states of windblown glory.

Great views, when not foggy. Just move in. Live off the fat of the land, marmots, caribou, seagulls, salmon, bear in season. Just be sure to keep an eye out for the odd wolf.

Now there are a few old DEW line, reinforced concrete buildings, abandoned by progress of technology (over the horizon radar) AWACS etc. Port Moeller for example. Knock your socks of views.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #33

How about an old missile silo?
SITES FOR SALE

Great for when the economy really tanks and society crumbles, all you need is to put a missile into your home and outgun entire countries.

Quote:
I cannot imagine buying property anywhere outside of the US. It is a trap for Gringos.
Yes, it's not at all like property inside the US that holds its value so well. :-)
Old 03-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #34
Confused about dryer sheets

A neighbour of ours lives in DR for 6 mos of the year (Nov-Apr). He is widowed, single and retired. We spoke last fall prior to his leaving, he has been going for 5 years now, lives in a nice apt. for $400 per month, eats well, has locals that help him with fresh fruits and veges. groceries etc... He stays away from Tourist resorts as they are costly. His first year was hell though, he got in with the wrong people, got mugged, shoes and clothing stolen. He enjoys it now, he feels healthier there, walks more, less arthritis pain and speaks fluent spanish now.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

d0ug,

I'm glad to see that you are still around and posting on this board. The DR is actually on my short list of sabbatical/retirement destinations. Not sure about buying property; but, I am assuming rent can be as cheap there as in most 3rd world countries.

Most of Central America is on my short list but few of the islands because of cost, transportation considerations, etc.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
d0ug,

I'm glad to see that you are still around and posting on this board. The DR is actually on my short list of sabbatical/retirement destinations. Not sure about buying property; but, I am assuming rent can be as cheap there as in most 3rd world countries.

Most of Central America is on my short list but few of the islands because of cost, transportation considerations, etc.
Rent is quite reasonable and the farther from the tourist areas the better. I think I might have frightened some people about buying land but all I wanted is to make them aware of the problems. Hope you find your paradise for retirement
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #37

Doug, maybe I shouldn't ask, but do you still file Canadian taxes, or do you file in the DR now? If in the DR, how are tax rates? In some of these 3rd world countries it doesn't take much salary or pension to put you into a very high tax bracket.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh...I thought this was another Detroit thread. :lol:
Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
Doug, maybe I shouldn't ask, but do you still file Canadian taxes, or do you file in the DR now? If in the DR, how are tax rates? In some of these 3rd world countries it doesn't take much salary or pension to put you into a very high tax bracket.
I file Canadian non resident taxes. There is tax agreements between Canada and DR so get a good CPA in Canada to help with taxes it pays.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Oh...I thought this was another Detroit thread. :lol:
Detroit, I'm still only in Detroit