An idea worth concidering

REWahoo,

So much for DR advertising, huh?

Well, here's some DR advertising. If you put in "dominican republic real estate" into google, you'll get a lot of web sites. I looked around for cheap homes with acreage and here's an example. It's been sold, but it's 4BR on 2.25 acres 3 miles from the beach for $99k. Of course, this may have been his neighbor's house he sold :) There are others even cheaper with larger lots.
Dominican Republic Real Estate Sosua Area : Farmlot 9,000 m2 House + 4 bedrooms Guesthouse 99,000 US $

As far as living in a 3rd world country, it's not for us. I admire D0ug's adventuresome spirit, but not many people can live that disconnected with the culture in which they were raised for longer than a few months. Heck, we really enjoy our condo in Puerto Rico, but after a few months we're ready to go back to the dreary skies, the cold, the I95 traffic jams, and the pollen... really sick, if you ask me.

If we did live in a 3rd world country, it would be in a gringo enclave, but that's too much like living on base, those of you who are military know what I mean. In fact, we did live in a 3rd world country while in the military and enjoyed it but after a while we wanted to get back to the land of the big PX. And it's not just about the 3rd world. We also lived in a modern northern European country for three years and loved it, but were ready to return at the end of that time.

There are gringo enclaves in the DR, around Punta Cana, but they're as expensive as everywhere else.

BTW, as far as advertising, we put up with all kinds of crap ads on the top of the page, so even if he was advertising (which I doubt), at least it's about a retirement topic.

BTW, as far as advertising, we put up with all kinds of crap ads on the top of the page, so even if he was advertising (which I doubt), at least it's about a retirement topic.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I cannot imagine buying property anywhere outside of the US. It is a trap for Gringos.

I can move 10 miles outside my little old town and feel like I'm in a 3rd world country.:LOL: Might just do that one day. Buy me a few acres in the woods and build the cabin of my dreams.

log%20cabin.jpg

I can move 10 miles outside my little old town and feel like I'm in a 3rd world country.:LOL: Might just do that one day. Buy me a few acres in the woods and build the cabin of my dreams.

If that place was in Northern Virginia, it would be declared a "historical landmark" and tax $$$ would be used to preserve it;)

Luxury living. It has a roof, fireplace, natural ventilation. In the new vernacular, Green Living. With renewable resources all around. Zero impact on the energy grid. Algore should have it so good.

Looking at places down here in the 29 Palms area of California - best description by real estate agent so far: see through cabin.

That refers to a 12x12 homestead cabin with nothing left but the studs and a bit of roof - homesteading was going on out here after WW2.

In the Aleutians there were many Quonset huts from WW2. In various states of windblown glory.

Great views, when not foggy. Just move in. Live off the fat of the land, marmots, caribou, seagulls, salmon, bear in season. Just be sure to keep an eye out for the odd wolf.

Now there are a few old DEW line, reinforced concrete buildings, abandoned by progress of technology (over the horizon radar) AWACS etc. Port Moeller for example. Knock your socks of views.

How about an old missile silo?
SITES FOR SALE

Great for when the economy really tanks and society crumbles, all you need is to put a missile into your home and outgun entire countries.

I cannot imagine buying property anywhere outside of the US. It is a trap for Gringos.

Yes, it's not at all like property inside the US that holds its value so well. :)

A neighbour of ours lives in DR for 6 mos of the year (Nov-Apr). He is widowed, single and retired. We spoke last fall prior to his leaving, he has been going for 5 years now, lives in a nice apt. for $400 per month, eats well, has locals that help him with fresh fruits and veges. groceries etc... He stays away from Tourist resorts as they are costly. His first year was hell though, he got in with the wrong people, got mugged, shoes and clothing stolen. He enjoys it now, he feels healthier there, walks more, less arthritis pain and speaks fluent spanish now.

d0ug,

I'm glad to see that you are still around and posting on this board. The DR is actually on my short list of sabbatical/retirement destinations. Not sure about buying property; but, I am assuming rent can be as cheap there as in most 3rd world countries.

Most of Central America is on my short list but few of the islands because of cost, transportation considerations, etc.

d0ug,

I'm glad to see that you are still around and posting on this board. The DR is actually on my short list of sabbatical/retirement destinations. Not sure about buying property; but, I am assuming rent can be as cheap there as in most 3rd world countries.

Most of Central America is on my short list but few of the islands because of cost, transportation considerations, etc.

Rent is quite reasonable and the farther from the tourist areas the better. I think I might have frightened some people about buying land but all I wanted is to make them aware of the problems. Hope you find your paradise for retirement

Doug, maybe I shouldn't ask, but do you still file Canadian taxes, or do you file in the DR now? If in the DR, how are tax rates? In some of these 3rd world countries it doesn't take much salary or pension to put you into a very high tax bracket.

Oh...I thought this was another Detroit thread. :lol:

Doug, maybe I shouldn't ask, but do you still file Canadian taxes, or do you file in the DR now? If in the DR, how are tax rates? In some of these 3rd world countries it doesn't take much salary or pension to put you into a very high tax bracket.

I file Canadian non resident taxes. There is tax agreements between Canada and DR so get a good CPA in Canada to help with taxes it pays.

d0ug,

Thank you for the kind thoughts.

My aversion to buying is not so much fear of the problems in other countries as with hassles of property ownership. (I have never even owned property in my home country, the United States.) I realize there are also benefits (both personal and financial) to home ownership; but, it just never was worth it to me.

Thanks again.

DW and I retired last July and now live in Peru. Once we got set up in an apartment, it costs us about US$1300 to live rather nicely. US friends of ours have a condo by the beach in the nicest part of Lima, so I assume that their expenses are higher. The good part for us is that during this $$ crisis in the US, we haven't had to draw from our investments, but live strickly on SS and pension. The bad part is that we are far from family, friends, and conveniences of the US. We'll return to Utah next year, with the hope that the stock market as rebounded by then.

Back
Top Bottom