Another "best places to retire list"

Wow, this is a tough list to max out on.

New Orleans is #91. So, according to this study, there are 90 MSA's that are better to have retired in, than here. :eek:

Even Springfield, Missouri is only #78. :LOL:

Honestly, I think the best place to retire ultimately depends on the individual.

Out of the 200 in the list, Rockford, IL is listed as #200. I have never been there but it must be worse than it sounds.

Last edited:
Barely made the top 200, and yet we like it here.

I'll bet if each of us made our own "top cities" list based on our personal preferences, no two would be the same.

New Orleans is #91. So, according to this study, there are 90 MSA's that are better to have retired in, than here. :eek:

I think NOLA would be fine most of the time. One of my regrets in life is not going to Tulane. Just far enough from home and close enough to get in trouble. Plus I dig the NOLA accent.

I love it. One more example of why you shouldn't move to Texas - it's a red state, and I'm NOT talking about politics.

good luck with that - people are flooding my old home state

I remember when Wimberley was a little podunk town back in the day...

Not everyone, but many do. I believe it's called the "yat" dialect.

DW and I went to a "Lessons and Carols" Christmas service when we first moved to NO. The reader started, "And da angel of da Lawd came upon dem, and dey were saw afraid." DW had to elbow me to keep me from busting a gut laughing.

I'm close to Modesto which is 160.

Clearly the guru who made this up was in love with Florida and the West. Also seems that he paid no attention to cost.

Ha

I read the whole article and I still can't figure out how the rankings came about. I went to the link given in the AARP guy's near the end for the livability index and put in my home address. The livability was 54 but would have been higher had the program included some of the items it called important for "livability", such as the library that is has been within half a mile of my home for more than 50 years and the hospital that is within one mile (the program counted Zero for both of these items being near my address).

You could probably improve any city's score by determining what actually was used to rank it, but then you'd have to already know the city and wouldn't need it to be on a list to make you consider it. What I am most impressed with though is the OP's link showed all the information on one page! No clickbaiting!

I love it. One more example of why you shouldn't move to Texas - it's a red state, and I'm NOT talking about politics.
Much better than the last list. Texas had two cities in the top ten as I recall on the last list I saw on this board. I would not recommend anyone moving to and/or retiring in Texas. Matter of fact I'd like to see a few million or more move away. It's too hot, too crowded, too dusty and full of cowboys on horse everywhere you turn, they talk funny, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Much better than the last list. Texas had two cities in the top ten as I recall on the last list I saw on this board. I would not recommend anyone moving to and/or retiring in Texas. Matter of fact I'd like to see a few million or more move away. It's too hot, too crowded, too dusty and full of cowboys on horse everywhere you turn, they talk funny, etc, etc.

yeah but the beer, food and music is really tough to beat

Honestly, I think the best place to retire ultimately depends on the individual.

My #1 requirement for best place to live is proximity to family and friends, and all the "best places to retire" lists never factor that in. For me, nice weather and cheaper housing both come a distant second to family and the extensive network of friends that I have developed over the years.

My #1 requirement for best place to live is proximity to family and friends, and all the "best places to retire" lists never factor that in. For me, nice weather and cheaper housing both come a distant second to family and the extensive network of friends that I have developed over the years.

social media makes it very easy to keep in touch

when I go back to visit my folks I usually go have a beer or golf with my old friends and it's like I never left town

If you like where you live that's great, if you don't, moving stinks but it's a lot easier than it was in the 60s/70s/80s where you really lost touch with people you knew.

The Woodlands, TX is where we retired to, ranked 166/200. These days we spend less than half our time there.

yeah but the beer, food and music is really tough to beat
Maybe we can arrange to have the music recorded and delivered out of state with the beer and food. :)

Last edited:
Maybe we can arrange to have the music recorded and delivered out of state with the beer and food.:)

Well we get shiner here but it's over a dollar a can :mad: and about $130 for a 15.5 gal keg. In TX it has to be a fraction of that.

I did see James McMurtry and the Old 97s though.

BBQ and tex-mex is nonexistent.

We actually ran into James eating alone at a Basque restaurant before the show. He knows where to grub.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom