Another E-R.org Success Story

JTOrt

Dryer sheet aficionado
Today was my last day at megacorp after 38 years. My celebration lunch bbq was my last work activity, said goodbye to many I have worked with for decades and left for retirement bliss. Had a great career and left on a positive note but definitely needed a break.

I found E-R.org several years ago and it confirmed that I was on the right track. I am self directed and used other's financial experiences, mostly bad, to develope my buy & hold strategy. Started with mutual funds and evolved into low fee ETF's. It works! The information and personal experiences here gave me the confidence to leave earlier than I had planned, essentially giving me several more years of retired life. :dance:

Can't thank you all enough!

Two years ago I left a career of the same length in perfect financial shape. Been spending six figures and watching net worth grow and staying busy with paid and volunteer side gigs. You'll love it!

:dance::dance: Congratulations!! That's the kind of story I like to hear! :dance::dance:

omni

Congratulations!!!

Welcome to the club! I'm a newbie to the retirement party myself, but it's been a great approx two months.

Welcome aboard from another class of 2017 alumni! :dance:
I was bonded out on 6-30; it's been great. Hopefully, you will adjust quickly to back-to-back seven day weekends. :LOL:

Congrats to you, JTOrt!! I love how we keep minting new financially independent early retirees on this forum. Keep 'em coming.

-BB

Nothing but positive vibes here

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the heck out of this new and joyful era.

I am 1.x years behind you; always a bridesmaid, never a bride. :( While I dearly wish it were me, my envy of the recent retirees like you and 38Chevy doesn't translate into anything besides motivation to get my own house in order.

I don't begrudge anybody else the fruits of their preparations. You've earned it, so revel in it. No doubt those 38 years involved some delayed gratification. If I hadn't dithered for my first couple of decades in the sweatshop, I'd be right there with you. Water under the bridge, of course, but I'm in the home stretch now.

I love reading these success notes. They keep me pumped for my own Special Day.

MDlerth,

So when is your day? (Mine was April 1, 2015...I remember it well) It is everything that we who have done it say it is, and more!

-BB

MDlerth,

So when is your day? (Mine was April 1, 2015...I remember it well) It is everything that we who have done it say it is, and more!

-BB

April Fool's Day is a great day to choose for retirement! :LOL: I love it.

Mine was November 9th, 2009, and like you I remember my retirement day like it was yesterday.

Mine was November 9th, 2009, and like you I remember my retirement day like it was yesterday.

It was also very near my wife's birthday and I wanted it to be part of her birthday gift. She endured more than her share of lonely nights while I was traveling. Now, we are never apart at night time! Perhaps the best of all the ER perks that we earned over the years.

-BB

MDlerth,

-BB

I am aiming for 1 December 2018. But I'm putting the over/under at 9 months.

It might be that Megacorp's CEO makes the decision for me, which brings it sooner. However, this would also mean that DW w*rks a bit longer. I'd prefer that we both could go out together.

Alternatively, there are some weird things going on in my family which might influence me to linger past my target date. Not good things, so I won't burden this happy thread with them.

Thanks for asking! :)

Congratulations! Retirement is so much fun. :D

OP here. Wow! My first day of retirement was one of my fastest. The removal of w*rk stress has been instantaneous. Like most here I had it 7 days a week and often woke up stressing about something. If this is what I have to look forward to I have found nirvana! Can't wait for day 2... :)

Last edited:

I am targeting April 1, 2020 (April Fool's) to give notice that my last day will be April 15th (tax day). My annual bonus is paid out in March. Nobody will believe me when I tell them on April 1st and then I get to walk out the door on Tax Day. Can't wait!

Congratulations and I hope that day 2 was just as special!

Congratulations! [emoji322] I hope you continue to enjoy it as most of us on this forum have. 11 months for me and I'm still ecstatic!!

Back
Top Bottom