Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Keim, I knew a guy who bought a very similar Monte Carlo off the showroom floor. Same color, same landau roof. He had white upholstery with swivel buckets. I rode in the car many times.
I hope he liked it as much as I like mine. Bought it in 1984!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #42

Hot rods - 1936 Ford coupe; 1940 Ford coupe; 1929 Ford model A.
Sports cars - 1972 240Z (highly modified) only 20k miles; 1997 Miata.
4x4s - 1942 Willys Jeep; 2004 RAM diesel; 1995 RAM gas.
Motorcycles - 2 street; 5 off-road.

I like vehicles.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I like muscle cars and sports cars. My current ride is a 2002 ZO6 Corvette. In the 7 years I have had it I have done all the maintenance on it. If I replace it it will be with a 2015 or 2016 ZO6.
We think we'll add a 2015 this Fall. Been fighting over colors. I want Lime Rock Green with a Brownstone interior. My husband wants either Crystal Red or Laguna Blue. No Z06, I'd probably kill myself.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

1989 glacier white corvette is my only car for the last 20 years or so. Bought it when it was exactly 3 years old just off warranty from a lady neighbor (GM employee) that babied it - for half off sticker ... $17k.

One of my first projects being retired was changing out the head gaskets - month-long project where I biked for tools and parts, I sure learned a lot in that month. I worked thru each day or just gathered up the parts, and each night studied what I needed to do on youtube- like adjusting all the valves.

I was somewhat lucky that I caught the head gasket failure when I was home. Antifreeze just poured out of the block. Leak was to the outside so no antifreeze in the cylinders. Did all the work myself except for getting the heads machined at the shop. Replaced almost all parts and also found my intermittent start problem that was elusive for those 20 years - turned out to be distributor's sensor's magnet on the distributor shaft was shattered (though intact so fooled me previously). I save it as a souvenir.

Lucky too I had a fresh case of beer at home to last me the entire month, I only made a couple bike beer runs near the end.

I really appreciate working on cars now... and respect those that do too. I now frequently bike to Redondo car show held every Friday at Ruby's by the beach.

It was unnerving having the entire engine disassembled and dislocated with the heads and intake at the machine shop. There were moments I thought it may never start again. Purrs like a kitten now. Still my only car.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
As a younger man, I HAD to work on cars a lot, just to keep my old clinkers on the road. Now, I want to turn the key or push the button and have the car go "vrrrooom".

Same with computers; at one time it was interesting to fuss with IRQs and DMAs and formatting drives, etc., but not any more...

With an unlimited budget and a big, well-equipped shop, it "might" be fun to build or restore a hotrod or muscle car. Neither of those are likely, so...
In my youth I had the same opportunities. Swapping engines and trannys out of mid sixties Fords taught me a lot. The frame would rot out on one with a good engine and I'd pay $75 and take out the driveline and scrap the rest. The tough part was getting a good transmission. Changing out the water pump in my BIL's '62 Impala outside in an ice storm was another special memory. I swore if I became successful I wouldn't even lift the hood of another vehicle.
Well, I guess I'm not successful, because I still do 95% of my own car repairs. But that's mainly because I'm cheap, not for the love of the experience.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
1989 glacier white corvette is my only car for the last 20 years or so. Bought it when it was exactly 3 years old just off warranty from a lady neighbor (GM employee) that babied it - for half off sticker ... $17k.

One of my first projects being retired was changing out the head gaskets - month-long project where I biked for tools and parts, I sure learned a lot in that month. I worked thru each day or just gathered up the parts, and each night studied what I needed to do on youtube- like adjusting all the valves.

I was somewhat lucky that I caught the head gasket failure when I was home. Antifreeze just poured out of the block. Leak was to the outside so no antifreeze in the cylinders. Did all the work myself except for getting the heads machined at the shop. Replaced almost all parts and also found my intermittent start problem that was elusive for those 20 years - turned out to be distributor's sensor's magnet on the distributor shaft was shattered (though intact so fooled me previously). I save it as a souvenir.

Lucky too I had a fresh case of beer at home to last me the entire month, I only made a couple bike beer runs near the end.

I really appreciate working on cars now... and respect those that do too. I now frequently bike to Redondo car show held every Friday at Ruby's by the beach.

It was unnerving having the entire engine disassembled and dislocated with the heads and intake at the machine shop. There were moments I thought it may never start again. Purrs like a kitten now. Still my only car.
Congrats on completing an elaborate job. It had to be a real confidence builder.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
In my youth I had the same opportunities. Swapping engines and trannys out of mid sixties Fords taught me a lot. The frame would rot out on one with a good engine and I'd pay $75 and take out the driveline and scrap the rest. The tough part was getting a good transmission. Changing out the water pump in my BIL's '62 Impala outside in an ice storm was another special memory. I swore if I became successful I wouldn't even lift the hood of another vehicle.
Well, I guess I'm not successful, because I still do 95% of my own car repairs. But that's mainly because I'm cheap, not for the love of the experience.
I'm cheap, but I also have faith that the job will be done right if I do it myself. I've had some bad experiences with lackadaisical repair jobs.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not fully retired, and I'm not much of a mechanic, but for about 10 years we owned a 1965 Monterey Convertible. It was all original and we bought it from the original owners - literally a "little old lady" and her husband - it was her car, and only had 46k miles on it when we bought it in the mid 1990's. Used it a lot for parades and ice cream cone runs when the kids were in school. It was a beaut and we had a lot of fun in it.

Attached is a picture of us crossing the finish line at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. We were there for a Mercury Owner's Convention and all got to take a lap around the track!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M15 w Indy Finish Line.jpg (534.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs56 View Post
I'm not fully retired, and I'm not much of a mechanic, but for about 10 years we owned a 1965 Monterey Convertible. It was all original and we bought it from the original owners - literally a "little old lady" and her husband - it was her car, and only had 46k miles on it when we bought it in the mid 1990's. Used it a lot for parades and ice cream cone runs when the kids were in school. It was a beaut and we had a lot of fun in it.

Attached is a picture of us crossing the finish line at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. We were there for a Mercury Owner's Convention and all got to take a lap around the track!
Great car! But did you get out and kiss the bricks (like Nascar drivers) after you crossed the finish line?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #50

Quote:
.........Attached is a picture of us crossing the finish line at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. We were there for a Mercury Owner's Convention and all got to take a lap around the track!
Wow, look at you! Nice ride!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Great car! But did you get out and kiss the bricks (like Nascar drivers) after you crossed the finish line?
Ha! No, but I did kiss my bride, who was with me!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Wow, look at you! Nice ride!
We had a lot of fun with that car. Finally sold it and got a new Mustang convertible in '06. Now we can travel all over without concerns about weather, where to park it, etc. Plus, it's got FM, cruise, and A/C!!

I must be getting old...
Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #53

Quote:
We had a lot of fun with that car. Finally sold it and got a new Mustang convertible in '06. Now we can travel all over without concerns about weather, where to park it, etc. Plus, it's got FM, cruise, and A/C!!
I must be getting old...
Sometimes our tastes change as we age. As long as you enjoy the car that's all that matters. The new Mustang is a real looker. Hated the Mustang body style from the mid 1970's to late 1990's. They wrecked a classic.
No matter what I'm driving I look for a safe place to park. People let their shopping carts go or ding your paint with their doors. Did you ever park far out in a parking lot with no other vehicles around and come out to have someone parked right beside you and no one else around.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I'm cheap, but I also have faith that the job will be done right if I do it myself. I've had some bad experiences with lackadaisical repair jobs.
Yeah, actually the biggest part of it for me is that I've had repeated experiences with screw-ups on my company owned vehicles. Last week I had my one year old company truck in for maintenance and had the wipers replaced. Yesterday I ran into a strong storm and the passenger blade flew up and twist off into the windshield. Never snapped into place. If you want it done right do it yourself.
The week before my son had a couple of eight balls from a major chain in to install appliances in his newly built house. Long story short - he got $500 back and I installed them after they found one excuse or another why the install was too tough for them to complete at the basic rate.
The work ethic of today's youth...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Sometimes our tastes change as we age. As long as you enjoy the car that's all that matters. The new Mustang is a real looker. Hated the Mustang body style from the mid 1970's to late 1990's. They wrecked a classic.
No matter what I'm driving I look for a safe place to park. People let their shopping carts go or ding your paint with their doors. Did you ever park far out in a parking lot with no other vehicles around and come out to have someone parked right beside you and no one else around.
So true about changing tastes, in many things. We loved that old Merc and I still enjoy seeing the old rides at car shows, etc, but no longer have a desire to own one. Been there, done that, and loved it!

Yeah, I have had had a car park next to me in the far corner of the lot. Always assumed it was someone like me who wanted a little safety and didn't mind the walk.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #56

I have a few old cars...1957 DeSoto Firedome hardtop coupe, 1967 Pontiac Catalina convertible, 1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe, 1979 Chrysler New Yorker (base model) and a 1979 New Yorker 5th Avenue Edition (back then "5th" ave was a designer package, and not an actual model). Oh, and still hanging onto Granddad's old '85 C10 Silverado, which looks like crap, but makes a decent work truck/spare vehicle.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #57

Those old DeSotos are sweet. What's under the hood, the 345 Hemi?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #58

Close...341 Hemi. The 345 was only offered in the Adventurer. And, incidentally, the first US production car to have 1 hp per cubic inch standard, and be street-ready. The Chrysler 300B actually broke that barrier, getting 355 hp from a 354 Hemi, but it was an option (340 hp standard) and intended for racing, not really street use. And from what I've heard, the Chevy 283 Fuellie, which had 283 hp, was also the same...really a race engine, and not really good for everyday driving.

Right now though, nothing's under the hood, because the whole body's off the car!

I had it towed to my mechanic about 4 1/2 years ago, and he was supposed to get it to where it would start and stop. But, the more he tore into it, the more he found that needed doing, and then there's that old argument about how it's cheaper to do it while it's all apart, rather than put it back together, and have to pull it apart again...

Here's a pic of it getting ready to load onto the tow truck. One of the brakes had locked up, so I had to use Granddad's '85 Silverado to drag it out of the garage to where the wrecker could get to it.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #59

As for the other cars, I cleaned out the garage a couple months ago, and took advantage of the situation to line them up for a group shot...
Old 05-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #60

Wow, that's a long-term project. Hope your wrench man works cheap! What's there looks very clean, though.

I was surprised to read that the early Hemis were undersquare motors. That may be why they were such torque monsters.