Anyone here who's retired and loves cars (or restoring them)?

dvalley

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I grew up around cars, tinkering with them, racing them etc so I always find it therapeutic to work on them. My garage is also usually the first 'room' I fix up when I move/buy a place. Lately though I haven't been able to do a whole lot in that area due to not having too much free time but one day if I ER I would love to scratch-build a car or restore an old one or two....provided I don't retire too poor :)

Just curious if any others here have retired with the same hobby/passion.

Motorcycles for me: smaller, less expensive, [mostly] but many of the same techniques and materials. I ride modern ones too.

Not for myself, but you have lots of company. Locally, antique cars shows are very common. I enjoy going to those and appreciate all the work that goes into a restoration.

Attachments

• car_show-1.jpg
    car_show-1.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 16
  • car_show-3.jpg
    car_show-3.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 16
  • car_show-4.jpg
    car_show-4.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 16
  • car_show-5.jpg
    car_show-5.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 19
I like the higher-end German models -- Mercedes and BMW.

Dad was an econo-miser, so the family wheels were always no-frills. But he serviced all his cars himself and taught me a lot.

When I grew up I also lurked in the bottom of the motor pool until I had an epiphany about 20 years ago. A lot of European models that original owners babied and then traded in for fear they'd become money pits, I could buy at deep, deep discounts and maintain myself without tremendous effort.

My daily drivers have included a couple Mercedes diesels, an Audi 4000 quattro, BMW 3 series convertible and most recently a BMW 5 series V8. When I w*rked I commuted 85 miles every day, so I drove the wheels off of all of them.

Keeping them up hasn't exactly been a hobby -- it's been more like an exercise in frugality. Still bottom fishing in the motor pool, but instead of crappies I went after German trout. ;)

I've still got the ragtop as a resto project (it needs a new transmission). I hope to have it back on the road now that I have the extra leisure time.

Always loved fast cars growing up. Have had 60s muscle cars, Porsche, BMWs, and Vettes. Most of those were modified for racing. Since downsizing, no space for that anymore, so we are down to an Acura RDX.

I have a 2001 corvette that I tinker on. I have a few things on my list now. I need to replace the driver's side mirror(mirror stuff is oozing out), fix/replace my ebcm module so that I get traction control/abs back, replace the oil pressure sending unit, and do something to my visor so the mirror doesn't fall out. And keep an eye on coolant temp. Last year I had high temps and blew out a bunch of junk off the front of the radiator with an air compressor to improve air flow - so far so good this year but its still cool out.

My car tinkering goes in cycles. Buy cars cheap with good bodies, but lots of mechanical problems. Sort them all out then just drive them. Had several Mercedes 220 Diesel, 450SE. The last one I sold after 20 years of diving it. Then I decided on Jaguars. Had an 88, was fun to get it working. Though it was an electricians nighmare. I lost count after 40 or so relays in the thing. Sold it.

Next, my current is a 95 XJ6. A California car with no rust, got it cheap as the owner was clueless in automotive problems and maxed his credit card at the mechanics. Spent a month getting all the problems fixed. IMHO it is the best looking and most pleasurable car I ever have had. Last three years only work is changing oil and swapping winter tires for summer and reverse in the fall.

My next may be a 97 XJR, we'll see.

Last edited:
My car tinkering goes in cycles. Buy cars cheap with good bodies, but lots of mechanical problems. Sort them all out then just drive them. Had several Mercedes 220 Diesel, 450SE. The last one I sold after 20 years of diving it. Then I decided on Jaguars. Had an 88, was fun to get it working. Though it was an electricians nighmare. I lost count after 40 or so relays in the thing. Sold it.

Next, my current is a 95 XJ6. A California car with no rust, got it cheap as the owner was clueless in automotive problems and maxed his credit card at the mechanics. Spent a month getting all the problems fixed. IMHO it is the best looking and most pleasurable car I ever have had. Last three years only work is changing oil and swapping winter tires for summer and reverse in the fall.

My next may be a 97 XJR, we'll see.

We sound like kindred spirits! I picked up a 2005 Ford Ranger last year for hauling and discovered it's a nightmare to work on compared to the Mercs and BMWs. I had to pull out a fender liner to change the right bank of spark plugs.

I grew up around cars, tinkering with them, racing them etc so I always find it therapeutic to work on them. My garage is also usually the first 'room' I fix up when I move/buy a place. Lately though I haven't been able to do a whole lot in that area due to not having too much free time but one day if I ER I would love to scratch-build a car or restore an old one or two....provided I don't retire too poor :)

Just curious if any others here have retired with the same hobby/passion.
It would be great to build a classic street rod, but we have a dinero deficit here. It is going to be just going to the rod shows and looking at the pictures, I am afraid.:(

Had a 1965 Vette that I restored and sold a few years later. Numbers matching roadster with hard top. I was a fool to sell it :facepalm:.

Now into German diesels/cars. Current ride/project is 2005.5 Jetta TDI sedan with lots of upgrades. Needs some suspension work which I am currently collecting parts for. Has a Malone 2.0 tune with dynamic idle and EGR delete. This car is very torquey and quick. It's also equipped with the DSG gearbox.

I have visions of a BMW convert and if I stumble on the right one, that's my next project. A correct year MB diesel is second choice.

I have done a lot of paint work over the years going all the way back to the lacquer days.

After I retired... I dove head-first into several home renovation projects. It didn't take long before I - A: completed them... and... B: grew weary of home renovation projects.

So last year I decided to change things up and purchase an old vehicle to tinker with. Having helped friends both find and work on THEIR 4-wheeled hobbies... I felt it was time to indulge myself. After a long hunt, I finally found one of my 'bucket-list' cars; a 60's Land Rover, with just the right balance of finished/unfinished work needed. 9 months later... I finally have her 95% complete - to my taste.

I've had a blast joining the Land Rover "community"... researching, hunting for and refurbishing parts... and, generally, using my brain & hands In new ways.

One thing I didn't foresee was the dissonance resulting from two conflicting desires:

- The desire to simplify my life and reduce belongings.
- The desire to have a hobby vehicle & all the accouterments needed for it.

Oh well... I guess I'll just enjoy the ride for now and come to terms with its hidden trappings later. :rolleyes:

Below are 'finished' pictures of Gracie - in her bikini & ready for summer!

Attachments

• Bikini FrontB.jpg
    Bikini FrontB.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Bikini SideB.jpg
    Bikini SideB.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 15
Not retired yet but I'm sure we'll keep up with our car hobby. Had to laugh, when we talk about downsizing we are talking about the house not the garage. We have sort of a 8 car garage, 1 bay wood working/office, 1 bay metal working, 1 bay 1 vehicle storage/repair area, large bay 5 vehicle storage and hydraulic lift. Unless we run into serious health issues I can't see us giving up this hobby in retirement.

We sound like kindred spirits! I picked up a 2005 Ford Ranger last year for hauling and discovered it's a nightmare to work on compared to the Mercs and BMWs. I had to pull out a fender liner to change the right bank of spark plugs.

Try 57 Chevy with v8, Drill a hole in the firewall to change rear spark plug.:D

I find most mechanics are leery of European cars. I find them more intuitive than many American ones. Never worked on any Rice Burners.

Once did a favor to Tranny shop owner friend. A hapless chap with some year of Saab had it towed to his shop. It turned out that the throttle linkage had several set of ball knuckles, one of which broke. His mechanics could not figure out how to get the rusted broken ball out of the socket. They already had the ball linkage.

This too had to pull the fender liner to get to it. Major PITA. 2 minutes to drill into the knuckle and knock out the rusted ball with a drift punch.

After I retired... I dove head-first into several home renovation projects. It didn't take long before I - A: completed them... and... B: grew weary of home renovation projects.

So last year I decided to change things up and purchase an old vehicle to tinker with. Having helped friends both find and work on THEIR 4-wheeled hobbies... I felt it was time to indulge myself. After a long hunt, I finally found one of my 'bucket-list' cars; a 60's Land Rover, with just the right balance of finished/unfinished work needed. 9 months later... I finally have her 95% complete - to my taste.

I've had a blast joining the Land Rover "community"... researching, hunting for and refurbishing parts... and, generally, using my brain & hands In new ways.

One thing I didn't foresee was the dissonance resulting from two conflicting desires:

- The desire to simplify my life and reduce belongings.
- The desire to have a hobby vehicle & all the accouterments needed for it.

Oh well... I guess I'll just enjoy the ride for now and come to terms with its hidden trappings later. :rolleyes:

Nice Rover.

It would be great to build a classic street rod, but we have a dinero deficit here. It is going to be just going to the rod shows and looking at the pictures, I am afraid.:(

Nine times out of 10 you're better off buying someone else's completed project. Twenty grand can get you a pretty nice rod, although it's not going to be a showstopper.

Try 57 Chevy with v8, Drill a hole in the firewall to change rear spark plug.:D

I find most mechanics are leery of European cars. I find them more intuitive than many American ones. Never worked on any Rice Burners.

Once did a favor to Tranny shop owner friend. A hapless chap with some year of Saab had it towed to his shop. It turned out that the throttle linkage had several set of ball knuckles, one of which broke. His mechanics could not figure out how to get the rusted broken ball out of the socket. They already had the ball linkage.

This too had to pull the fender liner to get to it. Major PITA. 2 minutes to drill into the knuckle and knock out the rusted ball with a drift punch.

As I recall the Vega-chassis Chevy Monza V8s were the same way with the inaccessible spark plugs. That's why I prefer my domestic vehicles to carry the blue oval. At least the fender liner was relatively easy to remove.

There was a pretty big Saab following up here in the Badger State in years gone by. A few people I know still like to tinker with the old 99s. The local Saab club morphed into an ice racing/rallycross group. Few things are more fun than driving in anger on a frozen lake!

After a long hunt, I finally found one of my 'bucket-list' cars; a 60's Land Rover, with just the right balance of finished/unfinished work needed. 9 months later... I finally have her 95% complete - to my taste.

Great truck -- it reminds me of that '60s television series "Wild Cargo."

Not a tinkerer, however my cars are my hobby.
I love nothing more than introducing the public to them and spend hours talking to groups or individuals about them.
Car shows, renewable energy events, drag racing, track days, or driving people around for Uber. No other hobby beats it for me:D

Nine times out of 10 you're better off buying someone else's completed project. Twenty grand can get you a pretty nice rod, although it's not going to be a showstopper.

Unless you enjoy working on cars this is true. Buy the vehicle complete or as far along in work. I bought a 1970 Chevelle/Malibu for $300. after body work, paint, engine work, new interior, new frame and convertible top. We spent around $7000. on parts.......needed patch panels for the rear quarter panels.......rust behind rear wheels, ya know. That was doing most of the work ourselves, except the convertible top. It was beautiful when it was done. It was restored with all NOS parts and we sold it to a friend for $9000. We had another project car by the time this one was done, ya know. The last three we restored we kept.

Now into German diesels/cars. Current ride/project is 2005.5 Jetta TDI sedan with lots of upgrades. Needs some suspension work which I am currently collecting parts for. Has a Malone 2.0 tune with dynamic idle and EGR delete. This car is very torquey and quick. It's also equipped with the DSG gearbox.

I have visions of a BMW convert and if I stumble on the right one, that's my next project. A correct year MB diesel is second choice.

A friend had a 2004 Jetta TDI 5-speed that he had modified. Nice car. I think he said it had produced 160 hp on a dyno. IIRC, highway fuel economy was in the 50s on a good day.

Those TDIs are light years ahead of the MB turbo diesels from the early '80s -- much better handling, power and economy. Still, there's something charming about a 70-hp non-turbo 240D with a stick shift. Basic, but extremely well-engineered.

I've loved my E30 chassis BMW cabrio. Try to find one without the motorized top. And of course it will leak. Maybe the latter chassis cars are better with regard to that.

I am not retired. Can I play? This is my first car. Bought around 1984. I've been restoring it over the last few years. I paid someone to paint it last year. Then I went through and gave the engine a serious detailing (including fresh paint/POR15). I'll be gutting the interior myself in a few weeks. New upholstery on order.
The original motor has been rebuilt. Not by me. I do general maintenance, but nothing that advanced. Put in a better cam, and edelbrock carb/manifold. I recently took this car on a 12hr trip to Portland OR, and back. It performed beautifully. Beautiful drive through the Columbia River Gorge!
images

Last edited:
I am not retired yet, couple years to go. Besides my username giving an indicator, I pretty much do car stuff when I am not at work or doing house stuff. Not into restorations, but instead hot rodding and racing.

My current list of older cars:
1937 Chevy Utility Coupe (aka "ute") from Australia - all stock for now
1937 Ford Utility Coupe from Australia - hot rod, currently disassembled for new paint and some modifications
1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan - namesake and hot rodded
1949 Ford COE - very modified hot rod truck (small pic in avatar)
1952 GMC pickup - current hot rod in progress
1955 Studebaker Coupe - future landspeed race car project, goal to go 200+ mph. Not running, it is just a rolling shell with no engine/trans or interior.
1963 Dodge Town Wagon -future project, not running
1968 Pontiac GTO - all original and had for 34 years now, will never sell it

Plus currently have 4 newer vehicles incl a motorhome. Add in a tractor and a couple trailers and it keeps me busy. I have a large 26x48 detached shop garage for working on the cars and do most all of my own work. I definitely will not have a problem with what to do once retired. I go to several car shows now and like driving my old cars around, that is what they are for. Drive and enjoy them.

People think the old cars are expensive, but if you do a lot of the work yourself, it is not too bad. I have never lost money on any old car, although my labor rate if calculated would be less than minimum wage sometimes.......

Just drove my 38 Chevy this past weekend all over on Sat, about 100 miles total, with a smile on my face the whole time!

I don't have any old cars, but I'm amazed every time I drive around on a warm weekend when many garage doors are left open, to see how many people do. This is in SE Michigan, so maybe we are a little car crazy. :confused:

Every August, when the Woodward Dream Cruise happens, the sheer number of cars that appear is astounding.

Decided to show a few shots from my recent Oregon roadtrip.

The car.
10174831_10202059473722547_205568006202170542_n.jpg

Mt. Hood as seen near The Dalles.

1545783_10202059469562443_911667578063402293_n.jpg

Palouse Falls
10322778_10202059509763448_6658776645463238057_n.jpg

Columbia River Gorge
10298949_10202059523123782_7971372767125946822_n.jpg

Keim, beautiful car...thanks for posting the pic. I have to make that drive some day.

Back
Top Bottom