Baby Boomers are Now Delaying Retirement

Hobo:

thanks for your explanation. My background is also in science so I understand/ knew already what you wrote.
It's just differences in perspective. Half glass, half full.
I'll die in a few decades, give or take. In the meanwhile I watch what I eat, exercise, try to be positive. Doesn't matter in the long run, cause I'll die anyways.
Most of the people I randomly meet, I'll never meet again, or for sure in 5 - 10 years. But in the meanwhile I still try to be pleasant and neighborly. You live your life the way you see fit, and I do the same. That's all.
And like I said... the sense of entitlement displayed by BB constantly amazes me.

Hobo:

thanks for your explanation. My background is also in science so I understand/ knew already what you wrote.
It's just differences in perspective. Half glass, half full.
I'll die in a few decades, give or take. In the meanwhile I watch what I eat, exercise, try to be positive. Doesn't matter in the long run, cause I'll die anyways.
Most of the people I randomly meet, I'll never meet again, or for sure in 5 - 10 years. But in the meanwhile I still try to be pleasant and neighborly. You live your life the way you see fit, and I do the same. That's all.
And like I said... the sense of entitlement displayed by BB constantly amazes me.

Perhaps I came on a bit too strong. It really bothers me that many politicians and ordinary people who take information written in the media as the gospel truth.

By a "sense of entitlement" I assume you mean the BB's are insensitive to the limited resources on earth - displaying wanton consumption and could care less about how we leave the earth for our children to inherit.

That may be true if you look at things like the rate that the US consumes petroleum and non-renewable resources. On the other hand, it is not true if you consider the BB has stopped the population explosion (ie, achieved zero population growth) when over-population looked to be a real problem threatening the US in the 1950's. The BB also invested a lot of effort and money in cleaning up air and water pollution. In the 1960's most cities and factories were dumping raw sewage and industrial waste into our waterways - not so today. Also, the pollution from cars has been dramatically reduced - resulting in much cleaner air.

The BB's started the green revolution in the 1970's - finding biodegradable herbicides and pesticides, plus promoting foods grown without manufactured chemicals. Recycling has taken a huge step forward thanks to the BB's. Serious research and many pilot projects into alternative energy were the results of the results of the BB generation recognizing the energy problems facing the future.

As scientists, we must look for the heart of the problem if we hope to find a cure. The real problem is world population growth. When most BB were born, the population of the world was in between 2-3 billion people. Now the world population is above 6 billion - doubling every 12 years!

You can grouse about a "sense of entitlement" exhibited by the BB, but the problems facing our children and our grandchildren were not caused by greedy BB's. Global warming, pollution, food shortages, and consumption of our planet's non-renewable resources is a direct result of massive world population growth.

If every American recycled 100 percent of our products, drove electric cars powered by renewable energy sources, and reduced our carbon footprint to zero - all of the problems facing the world today would still be just as bad as they are today.

You and all your friends can "tread as lightly as you please", but it will not make the slightest difference. The rest of the world is running like a herd of stampeding elephants, mowing down everything in its path. And I do not see the slightest hope on the horizon that this worldwide problem can be halted before most people in the world die of starvation.

You and all your friends can "tread as lightly as you please", but it will not make the slightest difference. The rest of the world is running like a herd of stampeding elephants, mowing down everything in its path. And I do not see the slightest hope on the horizon that this worldwide problem can be halted before most people in the world die of starvation.

I agree with this (as well as all of the preceding in your post not quoted)

To me the trick is for the US (& North America?) to focus on becoming an island of technology, military strength, food production, & a stabilized birth rate. This includes limiting immigration as necessary.

Let the rest of the world suffer the famines, poverty, land degradation, & industrial population until their populations are reduced or they embark upon birth rate stabilization programs of their own.

Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that. Hopefully the 6 months will pass quickly.

I still am not planning to delay my November, 2009 retirement. But, I suppose that I always have that option if things get much worse.

It seems like the economy is getting into "uncharted territory".
If I bite the bullet I have 81 days to go! I think the problem is that my retirement model does not have market recovery built into it. Even though it still says I'm good to go, I don't like the loss of the cushion. I am probably being way too conservative. I just do not like programing future recovery into the model. Its like counting your chickens before they are hatched. My goal is to retire just before I'm 60 which happens in February. Really not sure what I'll do...wow, if that doesn't demonstrate my indecisiveness quote. :)

If I bite the bullet I have 81 days to go! I think the problem is that my retirement model does not have market recovery built into it. Even though it still says I'm good to go, I don't like the loss of the cushion. I am probably being way too conservative. I just do not like programing future recovery into the model. Its like counting your chickens before they are hatched. My goal is to retire just before I'm 60 which happens in February. Really not sure what I'll do...wow, if that doesn't demonstrate my indecisiveness quote. :)
I would be worried about losing my cushion, too. I don't like to count on market events and trends and recoveries that haven't happened yet. I don't think your approach is way too conservative, at all.

But then, I do tend to be pretty conservative myself. :)

What I have been doing is adjusting my plan to assume that the size of my ER nestegg is the new, lower size that it is today, and so a certain percentage withdrawal would be just that much lower. I am not assuming any further drop, nor any recovery. So far, so good but the future is still a big unknown.

Last edited:
I just turned 54 and backing off on my plan to voluntarily leave in 11-16 months. Due to a $31K drop in my 401K and the expected minimal growth of the remainder in "Stable Funds" over the next year, I'll need to work another year or significantly cut back in spending and save more to compensate. I've been frugal but there is room for improvement.

If I get laid off, the separation pay will more than make up for the loss.

(Now I'm trying to figure out how to legally remove my 401K, sale of 2 houses, and other savings from the US and pay minimal taxes.)

Delaying retirement isn't terrible if it at least then becomes feasible. I'd like to see Social Security delayed to 68 or 69 if that will save the system. The bad thing is that retirement is become totally impossible for some people because of debt and similar financial woes.

I agree with this (as well as all of the preceding in your post not quoted)

To me the trick is for the US (& North America?) to focus on becoming an island of technology, military strength, food production, & a stabilized birth rate. This includes limiting immigration as necessary.

Let the rest of the world suffer the famines, poverty, land degradation, & industrial population until their populations are reduced or they embark upon birth rate stabilization programs of their own.

Really. Africa is now and has been for a long time beyond any help. When their oil and other minerals run out, curtains. If we and the Europeans let them migrate at will, cutains for us too.

Latin America is on the cusp. They have lots of mineral resources and with good governemnt and population control could make a go of it. But these countries have never had good government for any length of time, and population control is hte last thing on their minds.

The Rio Grande is an important line for the survival of our civilization. But I imagine that with our Balkanized and corrupt politics we too will go down in flames not long after Central and South America.

Ha

Really. Africa is now and has been for a long time beyond any help. When their oil and other minerals run out, curtains. If we and the Europeans let them migrate at will, cutains for us too.

Latin America is on the cusp. They have lots of mineral resources and with good governemnt and population control could make a go of it. But these countries have never had good government for any length of time, and population control is hte last thing on their minds.

The Rio Grande is an important line for the survival of our civilization. But I imagine that with our Balkanized and corrupt politics we too will go down in flames not long after Central and South America.

Ha

A provocative question: At one time, our industrial base was growing rapidly, and we were in the business of displacing or outrightly slaughtering American Indians, and settling their land. We needed people to do this, and encouraged immigration.

Fortunately, the slaughter has ended; and unfortunately, we are dismantling our industrial base, throwing millions out of work and forcing them to compete for jobs flipping burgers and stocking racks at malls.

Why do we need immigration at all? Yes, there is all the romance and lore of starry-eyed people disembarking at Ellis Island etc. etc. But the past is always romanticized--even slavery looks good in "Gone With the Wind." The last thing we need are more unskilled workers showing up competing for jobs that are already too scarce.

Maybe it's time to consign immigration, along with slavery, Wild West shootouts, and and women not being allowed to vote, to history--a history we can romanticize if we wish, but that shouldn't be allowed to dictate present-day policy.

With the market turndown, my portfolio has lost 25%. Time to kick in Plan B, increase part time work. Got my new business cards, got another gig this week.

Plan C is to sell my townhome. Will see by spring if that is necessary.

Hey, Want2Retire, one of my plans (probably Plan G) is to move to a cheaper part of the country. You may very well see me in Springfield, MO if the crash continues.

With the market turndown, my portfolio has lost 25%. Time to kick in Plan B, increase part time work. Got my new business cards, got another gig this week.

Plan C is to sell my townhome. Will see by spring if that is necessary.

Hey, Want2Retire, one of my plans (probably Plan G) is to move to a cheaper part of the country. You may very well see me in Springfield, MO if the crash continues.

OldBabe, I really like it there! As I recall, you were not crazy about Joplin (I probably wouldn't have been either). But Frank and I think Springfield is nice and worth considering. There there are places like western Pennsylvania, Kansas, Iowa, Tennessee, and northern Alabama. The world awaits, and life is an adventure! :D

If every American recycled 100 percent of our products, drove electric cars powered by renewable energy sources, and reduced our carbon footprint to zero - all of the problems facing the world today would still be just as bad as they are today.

Well, there is one saving grace in this. As Alfred E. Newman says "What, me worry?" After all, we'll all be dead when (and if) this comes to pass. So as Ha says "Happy Days are here again!"

Back
Top Bottom