Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats! Now you need to learn not to use the term unemployed, as that term makes it seem like your are still seeking work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #42

Congratulations and enjoy!

Old 06-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
And I want to offer a huge thank you !!!

For the first time in 36 years I am not receiving a paycheck. Instead I will use my dividends and investment principal (and in 18 year SSI) to carry me through my remaining life.

Today is day 2 of my retirement. I requested no hoopla so my last day was quiet. I arrrived at the office at 11am, had lunch and chit-chat with colleagues in one of the conference rooms (we ordered in), and left for the last time at 2pm. My ex-coworkers walked me to my car as one of them carried my "box of junk" (mainly a couple of photos and my collection of Happy Meal toys which were my destressors). No fanfare - just a bunch of hugs and smiles.

Yesterday DH and I celebrated by going to a matinee movie (who does that ) and an early dinner at my favorite restaurant on the beach. Today I am set to work on craft projects for Vacation Bible School (another thing I could not have done if I were still w*rking).

It's a little scary giving up the decent sized paycheck, and while I thought this would just feel like vacation it does not. I know that I am free . I had one fleeting moment where I thought about something that could improve a process at the office and then I laughed maniacally as I realized it is no longer my problem !

Thanks again for the excellent suggestions from the forum which gave me the confidence to take this magical leap !!!
Congrats L&L.

Some of what you wrote is similar to what I went through at the end of my working days back in 2008. I didn't want any big hoopla on my last day, opting out of any big luncheon. Instead, they gave me some cash ($160) they would have spent on the luncheon while my favorite coworker took me out to lunch. I was under some pressure to get done a project I had been working on for over a year, which I barely finished by 4 PM, less than an hour before I split for the last time.

I was working only 2 days a week for over a year before I ERed so it wasn't a big transition from that to not working at all. As for the somewhat small paycheck, I then switched to the monthly dividend from a big bond fund as a replacement to the biweekly paycheck. I had to more carefully plan my cash inflows and outflows as a result but it was no big deal. Seems like you will have to do the same thing.

But the best part of being out of the rat race was NO MORE COMMUTE!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

No commutes, no deliverables, no deadlines. Just life on your own terms (mostly) and the pursuit of "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. " Congrats!

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 PM   #45

Congrats! I'm still an ER 'newbie' (about 8 months) but so far, this has been the best 8 months of my life!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #46

Apologies for the delay in thanking everyone for their congratulations. I haven't had time to go online . I've been deeply invested in getting crafts together for VBS. The days are just flying by, completely stress-free ! It's amazing. It really makes all the years of frugal living worthwhile.

My next big "to do" is to move my 401k to Vanguard. And then I need to weed the garden. And after that ........ well, I'll just do what I want, when I want ! "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" indeed !!!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #47

Just so we don't make light of this development - Everyone be aware that this unemployment was EARNED.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Congrats! Now you need to learn not to use the term unemployed, as that term makes it seem like your are still seeking work.
Precisely what I was going to say. "Unemployed" to me means "not working but seeking work". You are not unemployed. You are retired! Own it!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To the OP, congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What will you do all day?
That used to be explained under my screen name: "Full time employment: Posting here". But now that label is something else.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations on reaching this stage of your life. I hope you enjoy your "unemployment" as much as I do mine!
Old 06-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! It's time to enjoy a stress free ER'd life!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

well done!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #54

I can't believe its been a week already. There's so many things on the "to do" list that still need to be completed. The days just FLY by. I've discovered that I am a shining star at spending alot of time getting nothing accomplished ! I promised I would clean the house top to bottom (haven't even started that !) and that the gardens would get a thorough weeding (they've been getting their normal "pull a weed here and there" treatment). I also have a ton of paperwork to do and a dozen phone calls to make. I know it's a huge cliche to say "how did I have time to work ?" , but seriously, "HOW did I find time to work ??".

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great to hear.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Live and Learn, congratulations. You were one person I was tracking for a few years as I sensed the OMY personal debates your had with yourself will be very similar to what I will experience as I get closer to FIRE'ing.

I am happy for you and am glad you retired to VBS activities. Now that you are retired, keep us posted on any OMY learnings you will have now that you are on the other side (e.g. I conservatively planned for this and it was unnecessary).

Congratulations again - and enjoy!

CUinFL

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #57

Thanks CUinFl. The one thing I can say right now is that the 2 extra years were worth it. I am sleeping well at night and not fretting over my expenses. I am still frugal, but I haven't deprived myself of a purchase (mostly because I don't want to buy many things to begin with !). All that conservative planning helps me alot, because of my personality type. I'm sure I could have retired 2 years ago as I originally wanted, but so far I have no regrets.

It's been one month and six days. Time is FLYING. I have been so enjoyably busy doing things for low / no cost around the house and around my neighborhood that I haven't even had a second of boredom, or even a thought of boredom. I've discovered that after all those goal-driven years at w*rk that I am perfectly happy to accomplish nothing ! I feel like I went from Type A to Type Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

When the time is right you'll know it. Trust your gut.