Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Merry Christmas Walt, BLD, Brewer, and the Gang. After Christmas, I will update our bee thread. And I know Brewer has comments and ideas, too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just saw this bit of Aussie innovation:

Honey On Tap From Your Own Beehive - Flow™ Hive Home

No need to remove frames or decap and extract.

As an aside; judging by the video all Aussie apiarists are hippies.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #123

Hi Calmloki and the Gang...I have been reading up also on this new invention still being tested. I don't know what to expect out of it and wonder what the cost may be like to try one out.

I have been getting ready for my second year.

Need to paint all this on a couple warm days. This is six complete hive sets. I have three more complete hive sets painted and ready to go in the basement.

It's like kids waiting on Christmas. All us Beeks are waiting for the queens and bee packages to arrive in March and then working with the bees! Housing bee packages, introducing queens, doing splits and chasing swarms.

The days are getting longer now and the queens in the hives are aware of the explosion of life just around the corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bee box build 1-29-2015 (2).JPG (157.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Bee box build 1-29-2015 (3).JPG (119.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dave, Can you tell how your colonies are doing with these single digit temperatures, or do you need to wait until spring?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Dave, Can you tell how your colonies are doing with these single digit temperatures, or do you need to wait until spring?
Yes, you can get an idea. If you tilt a hive from the back, you can get an idea of hive weight. If it feels light the bees may be in bad shape. No food stores. On warmer days, you can watch them do cleansing flights and the amount of bees flying around may give clues, that is...If you have several hives and one does not have as many flying, that is a clue. Remember, a hive in good shape with a decent amount of bees will fly sooner since they are warmer inside. On a warm day, I lift the top and look. I have newspaper with sugar on top on the frames to help the bees along.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Installed 3 new packages of Italian bees this morning. They got progressively more irascible as I installed each package in a hive and by the third time one finally exploited a chink in my armor and stung me on the nape of the neck. They are calming down, but still pretty bitchy. All should be well by later today or tomorrow. I have room for a fourth hive at the house and I am going to see if I can catch a swarm this spring to fill that spot.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #127
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Very fascinating hobby, and one I wouldn't mind getting in to someday, if I had the time and space (although getting stung kind of scares me).

For the people that have/had more than one hive...does each hive have its own queen? Do the hives have to be a certain distance away so the bees from one hive don't try to "attack" a neighboring hive?
Yes, each hive has its own queen. The hives are often put close together or in clusters spread out over an orchard. I only have a few hives and prefer to spread them out to lessen competition. The advantage of putting them together is so they can better defend themselves from predetors such as skunks.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #128
Confused about dryer sheets

Oregon high desert bee keeper

I've been working at it several years with a little success and lots of failure (it's called experience, isn't it?) Hopefully, I'll do better now that I'm retired.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #129

Just an update...I now have 15 hives at the house and Eddie has around 5 hives at the farm. I have caught some swarms and bought some package bees to expand to where I am now. I have enough resources to be fairly independent and not have to buy any more bees. I can make my own from splits and queen cells. Bees are Wonderful! Here's a few pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daves Bee hives 5-11-2015 (3).JPG (217.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Daves Bee hives 5-11-2015 (1).JPG (225.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Eddies bee hives at the farm 5-11-2015 (5).JPG (188.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

DW and I responded to a swarm call this evening, as we were on a list of people to call by location if a homeowner here in the burbs called the local bee supply place with a report of a nearby swarm. We collected 80 to 90% of a football sized swarm that was hanging out at waist height and transferred them to a spare hive in the backyard. From what the homeowner told us this was probably not the first swarm from the donor hive, so if we got the queen she is probably a virgin and will need to take a nuptial flight before she can get down to the business of laying eggs.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #131
Administrator

Sadly, the hive in our backyard died over the winter. The beekeeper who owns the hive started a new queen this spring, and so far, so good. He put a super on over the weekend. This year, he is trying an Italian queen. The last one was Russian.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
... The last one was Russian.
Anastasia?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
We bought a hive; bees are to be delivered tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #134

Redbugdave, why the different height hives?
Old 05-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
We bought a hive; bees are to be delivered tomorrow.
Fantastic. Which variety of bees?

- Will Rogers
Old 05-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Redbugdave, why the different height hives?

I live on a hill and I step laddered the 4x4 stand supports to down the hill. Otherwise, the different hives are in different stages of development. A hive with a small amount of bees needs a smaller area inside. As the hive grows, you add more room as needed. The bees need to control the temperature inside and less room allows then to do that.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #137

That's great Khan. Show us a pic or two when you get them. Also...two hives are better than one, since you have another to compare to and you can draw resources from a strong hive to the weaker hive to make them both thrive.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
DW and I responded to a swarm call this evening, as we were on a list of people to call by location if a homeowner here in the burbs called the local bee supply place with a report of a nearby swarm. We collected 80 to 90% of a football sized swarm that was hanging out at waist height and transferred them to a spare hive in the backyard. From what the homeowner told us this was probably not the first swarm from the donor hive, so if we got the queen she is probably a virgin and will need to take a nuptial flight before she can get down to the business of laying eggs.
Generally I avoid bee's and try to respect their space because of all the good they do. (I will spray wasp nests around my home, as they have stung me in the past). I currently have a very large bee living under my walkway, he goes in and out via a hole, which I thought was a mouse hole at first.

I am curious however, how do you catch a swarm of bees as you described ?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I am curious however, how do you catch a swarm of bees as you described ?
Ideally, you find them on a tree branch clustered up in a mass within easy reach. You carefully cut the branch off and either put the whole thing in your collection box or shake them off the branch into the box. Then you take them to your hive location, dump them in, close it up, and hope they stick around. That was what we did except that most of the bees were on the trunk of a small aspen tree next to the branch some of them were on. We cut the branch or two and put it in our box and then when the rest of the bees started to move I did not want to lose them so I used my bee brush (looks like a dustpan sweeper) to dump the whole mass into the box.

We caught the swarm on Tuesday and they have been very active in the hive we put them in (going in and out). We are trying to leave them alone for at least a week before taking a peek, but I am having a hard time waiting.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Fantastic. Which variety of bees?
No idea what variety.
They are small and gentle and are busy surveying the area. Have put out a sand/water dish.

Tags
beekeeping