Best laid plans...

DanP

Recycles dryer sheets
Just a significant issue to us but otherwise a minor rant... figured I'd post in this sub-forum rather than spook others.

FINALLY 2018 was to be the year where expenses would normalize and we would truly start our RE!

Well, single pregnant daughter moved home (of course welcome but expensive) and house is now, unexpectedly facing 200k+ of repairs without recourse (insurance or otherwise).

So happy 2018 to us!

But, after a deep breath, yes, "happy 2018 to us". The new expenses take a big hit and it SUCKS to withdraw from Vanguard funds for these unexpected situations.

Still, this fits within the side fund for unexpected stuff.

But now that bucket is way empty... aargh!

Bummer dude.

What happened to the house?

If it's good news? I'm right there with you. This year I would have hit my FIRE milestone, but due to unexpected freak acts of nature I'm set back to about HALF. I'm still doing the best I can! After you make it, I suppose you will have a story to tell.

Bummer dude.

What happened to the house?

"What happened to the house"... other than the hurricanes for us... not fun.

We are oceanfront, as in survey property line defined as mean high tide.

Central Florida, East. Nuts weather!

Homeowners/Wind/Flood (did I cover all 3 that matter?) are zero FFF*ing help.

Onwards, we are rebuilding on our dime. Strongest rebuild, fully waterproof by the time we are done.

So much $ but also we moved here for ER, so posting as a warning to others to have some cushion.

Last edited:
As much as it sucks to have our safety bucket depleted so early in our ER trek...

We are all in for the incoming baby (as all of you would) and the house, well, that just sucks. I may need to consult for a year or so depending on the economy.

We are smiling, there could be worse problems!

As much as it sucks to have our safety bucket depleted so early in our ER trek...

We are all in for the incoming baby (as all of you would) and the house, well, that just sucks. I may need to consult for a year or so depending on the economy.

We are smiling, there could be worse problems!

Bad deal, hope the hardening never has to be tested.

Yes, it could be worse. As bad as some of my experiences have been, I never wanted to trade my problems for someone else's.

I hope you work out the problems with a positive ending result.

Sorry about the house. You will enjoy the new grandbaby!

I got 'lucky' loosing my house to a wild land fire here in California 3 months before I scheduled to retire in 2006. The lucky part was I pulled my money to rebuild just prior to the market hit in 2008. I looked like a genius pulling out of the market and building a house AFTER the housing market had popped and a glut in construction labor and materials.
I worked another 5 years, retired in 2012 and was able to rebuild back all I had to draw to rebuild.

So I'm just saying, maybe the market will take another huge hit and you'll be so glad that you were able to garner the money before that happens.

And of course, congratulations Grandpa! Is this your first? If so, be prepared for the most significant and most awesome experience of your life.

Back
Top Bottom