Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've been introduced to Robbie B.'s "Blow that Dough" life philosophy, the money has been flowing through my fingers like water too.

I better watch myself.

I find the returns in giving are returned in blessing many times over.

NW Bound,
Not necessarily for buying them a car. More for my desire to keep my actions hidden from my other family members.

JP

If you can't spend money on those you love/love you, what good is it?

I agree. Before DH died he and I agreed that I'd send a flat dollar amount to his brother and sister-in-law each month for 24 months. (SIL is a shopaholic so a lump sum wasn't a good idea.) His will left everything to me but I wanted to do something for them because they have so little and DH and I had so many resources. At various points they've used that check to buy a new refrigerator when the old one died, get emergency car repairs and send $$ to family dealing with a 21-year old with acute myeloid leukemia in another state.

We've all traded cautionary tales here about not getting sucked into the financial problems of friends and relatives, and I did have an Ex for whom no amount of financial help would have been enough, but this feels like the right thing to do. SIL tells me she IS saving some money for a cushion when the payments end in November.

On a happier note: I booked Business Class to Cabo San Lucas for my cruise on the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortes next March, and also booked a nice little Airbnb apartment in Edinburgh for my trip there in September.

Screw narrow airline seats! Bought an extra adjacent empty airline seat on 4 domestic flights over 3 hours long that I will take in May and August. I want a wider seat and the armrest when down presses onto my hip! It was still much cheaper to do this than Business Class. The Business class service on these airlines are NOT worth the cost.

Cool!

How is this handled in terms of passenger identification?

And ground crew checking seats?

NW Bound,
Not necessarily for buying them a car. More for my desire to keep my actions hidden from my other family members.

JP

Hey, you helped them pick out a car, deal with the dealer, end of story.

I think plenty of folks here who are well off tend to be generous with family they are close to.

Even I am starting to come around to spending more money. I may become a blow that dough convert yet. There is hope for us all.

Even I am starting to come around to spending more money. I may become a blow that dough convert yet. There is hope for us all.

I am working on it too. Yesterday I got online and paid over $3300 on car insurance, homeowners' insurance, and wind-and-hail (hurricane) insurance, and I still have flood insurance left to pay. :eek: Then I discovered that so far in 2018 I have spent less than $50 on fun stuff other than eating out at restaurants.

That will never do! So, I went over to Amazon and spent $96.47 on new lingerie. Well, $11+ of that was paid from Amazon Prime Visa rewards, but still I spent $84.88.

Blow that Dough! I need to keep working at this.

I am working on it too. Yesterday I got online and paid over $3300 on car insurance, homeowners' insurance, and wind-and-hail (hurricane) insurance, and I still have flood insurance left to pay. :eek: Then I discovered that so far in 2018 I have spent less than $50 on fun stuff other than eating out at restaurants.

That will never do! So, I went over to Amazon and spent $96.47 on new lingerie. Well, $11+ of that was paid from Amazon Prime Visa rewards, but still I spent $88.48.

You have a long way to go to meet RobbieB standards, but it is a start. :LOL:

We went overboard this past year. We did a $100k remodel of our Florida condo, bought a Subaru Outback, bought a beach house in New Jersey for $550k plus about $10k in repairs/upgrades, put a new roof on our primary home $10k, a new tankless water heater for $3k, and spend $20k on a European cruise vacation.
We’re going to ease up this year and next.

Never mind the 80's.

We bought a Samsung 40 inch flat screen in circa 2005 to replace our 25" tube model.

Nine months ago we bought a vastly improved 65" thin screen Samsung for quite a bit less money. Today, the same TV is a few hundred dollars less than it was nine months ago. And a $75 blue ray cd player to go with it. Cannot remember what I paid for one ten years ago, without blu ray of course.

I'm surprised that the comments were very favorable. I actually feel good about doing this. I was going to post a few weeks back to get suggestions from this forum on how to accomplish this in a tasteful manner.

I've been thinking about why I want to keep this whole process private. It comes down to this:
- I don't want my father and stepmother feeling bad about it, like they took a handout. It was my idea, not theirs, and I derived great personal pleasure from helping them. I told them several times that it would make me happy.
- My two sisters are the opposite of me financially. Money runs through their fingers like water. That being said, I love my sisters and I don't want them feeling bad, because they are unable to help our father and stepmother in this manner. (They both live nearby them, and do many nice things for them. )

Thanks again for some positive feedback.
I asked Mom not to tell anyone. That lasted about 3 hours. She was quite proud and happy I got her the car.

.... That will never do! So, I went over to Amazon and spent $96.47 on new lingerie. Well, $11+ of that was paid from Amazon Prime Visa rewards, but still I spent $84.88.

Ok, I'll bite. Color me skeptical until we see the pictures of W2R in this new lingerie! [emoji1]

Ordered up my first new car!

My frugality took over and I didn't get that Lincoln I was talking about.

I ordered up a 2019 Chevy Impala with the tricoat pearl, sunroof, premier convenience and confidence.

Otherwise known as loaded - :)

What? Robbie pulled in his horns!

What happens next? He's going to eat rib eye instead of Wagyu? Drinking whiskey instead of XO Cognac?

It's all down hill from here.

Nah, less car so more Wagyu - :)

But I also ordered up a fridge and an induction range for 33 hundred!

The car was a mere 1 grand deposit.

So, you decided to go for new appliances in the kitchen. All right!

Everything but the dishwasher which is only 2 years old.

574 posts and counting dedicated to spending concepts. Impressive.....keep it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom