Boredom in early retirement.

As we rode in the car back, it dawned on me that there is NOTHING more boring than business travel! Whether it's riding in a car, sitting in an airport or car, killing time in a hotel room...ugh.[
As demonstrated inPlanes, Trains and Automobiles!

I know this topic has been discussed before and I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but please........please, help me understand, how people can get bored when there is so much in life to enjoy.

Coments like the quotes below, came up in another forum regarding retirement and I simple don't understand it. In early retirement I wish a day had 30 hours instead of 24 since there is so much to do and many more things to accomplish and enjoy, yet people allow themselves to get or become bored. I've never been bored in my life and I don't believe I will ever accomplish everything I want to do since life is simply to short.

+1 Egad. I cannot imagine getting bored with this new life. Though I've been ER'd only 10 mo., it still feels like it has hardly started. Even sleeping is a thrill, since I get to do it as much as I like. When I caught the flu, I was free to hunker down for the day with a book and a cup of tea, free to lounge about until I felt better. (And didn't have to call in sick, then make up all the work later.)

I have time for every chore, and time to plan all the fun with my DH. :)

There is no reason to be bored!

Last edited by a moderator:
Puts on Psychobabble hat. Maybe those who are bored just can't "allow" themselves to be happy in retirement, for whatever reason. They are bored and frustrated because they feel they are supposed to be working, not loafing. Takes off Psychobabble hat, puts of Loafer hat.

Define what your purpose is in life and then act accordingly.

The problem with some of the jobs is they become all emcompassing. I see women working in my line of work and realize that none of them have kids - probably because I don't think people with kids could do the unexpected hours of work (nights and weekends) we are expected/required to do and the only time we can be truly off the clock is when we go some place during paid vacation where there is no cell phone reception. So I really do not have much life except work right now. I used to do more leisure type things, but with long hours at work on weekdays/some nights/some weekends, I don't have much energy left for anything after all the chores are done.

I am definitely losing sight of my purpose in life. I know it. I need to figure it out. I need a middle ground where even while wo*king, it leaves me some leisure time so I can figure out what I may want to be doing when I retire.

Last edited:
I am definitely losing sight of my purpose in life. I know it. I need to figure it out. I need a middle ground where even while wo*king, it leaves me some leisure time so I can figure out what I may want to be doing when I retire.
Exactly. Never let working for the man consume you. Just decide that you will spend 2 hours a day pursuing your agenda...

Back
Top Bottom