Campground hosting

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
We are giving it a shot, starting this week. We are campground hosts at Pattison State Park in northern Wisconsin until July 8, when the hosts with seniority come in for the nice weather. A little rustic--there is electricity but no sewer or water so we have to go a dump once in a while and refill the water tanks. Pretty park for hiking and there is a small dam which creates a nice swimming area. (If it ever warms up enough to swim).

BigManitouFalls.jpg

76625229.gKcXbaBO.jpg

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/LAND/parks/specific/pattison/

Stop by and visit!

Sounds like lots of fun. I am sure you will enjoy it.

We chatted with some hosts last summer in New Mexico and it seemed like a lovely way to spend some time in a beautiful place.

We are giving it a shot, starting this week. We are campground hosts at Pattison State Park in northern Wisconsin until July 8, when the hosts with seniority come in for the nice weather.

That should be fun. What's the longest you've stayed in your motorhome?

You might want to look in to one of these. A 10 gallon one seems to be popular and it should minimize having to break camp to visit the local watering hole.

Have fun.

The longest was a couple of months.

This will be easy, the park is only 21 miles from home. We get two days off a week and can run home in the car, do laundry, etc. Plus, if we tire of each other one can easily go home for a while.

We are thinking about the portable sewage tank.

Beautiful campground ! Excuse my ignorance but what do campground hosts do ?

Smile at guests, take care of any problems, make people feel wecome, chase away teenagers looking for a place to park and...

We are giving it a shot, starting this week. We are campground hosts at Pattison State Park in northern Wisconsin until July 8, when the hosts with seniority come in for the nice weather. A little rustic--there is electricity but no sewer or water so we have to go a dump once in a while and refill the water tanks. Pretty park for hiking and there is a small dam which creates a nice swimming area. (If it ever warms up enough to swim).

BigManitouFalls.jpg

76625229.gKcXbaBO.jpg

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/LAND/parks/specific/pattison/

Stop by and visit!

What's the temp this time of year? I just got back from the golf course and all my clothes are wet with sweat. Feels like 95. Last week it was cool.

Looks like great fun! Hope you enjoy it. I'm hoping I can convince DW to try this some years down the road from now.

Will you have internet access, and keep us posted?

R

Smile at guests, take care of any problems, make people feel wecome, chase away teenagers looking for a place to park and...

Close. No policing, we have the park ranger's number if there is a problem.

We go around at some point after people check out and clean up their spot if it needs it. We check the bathroom a couple times a day and reload TP but the DNR takes care of the bathroom cleaning. Show people where the trails are, what birds are around, warn about bears and tell people not to leave their food out. We don't have to be around all day and can go hiking or whatever in the morning or afternoon.

Temp today in the low 50s with frost warnings tonight. Should get into the low 60s later this week, with luck.

With the aircard, internet access is a breeze.

Temp today in the low 50s with frost warnings tonight. Should get into the low 60s later this week, with luck.

With the aircard, internet access is a breeze.

It was 90 here today and 104 at our new house south of here. I don't miss the extended winters up where you live.

Being a camp host sounds like fun. I can't see us roughing it for that long as DW has to have her morning extended dose of very hot shower water to get her going for the day. We would drain the FW tank and fill the grey tank in a couple of days. Maybe some day.....

Have fun and post more pictures. It is going to be a while before we hit the road.

The longest was a couple of months.

This will be easy, the park is only 21 miles from home. We get two days off a week and can run home in the car, do laundry, etc. Plus, if we tire of each other one can easily go home for a while.

We are thinking about the portable sewage tank.

Martha, IRRC, you have sort of a medium size RV? 24' or something like that? Do you find it adequate for two people for that length of time? Elsewhere I have heard that most people would want a larger vehicle for something that long.

MB

Yes, our rv is too small for the job. But the layout is great with efficient use of space. I trust it will be nice enough for a lot of outside time. Plus, we will be going home at least once a week so we can do laundry and get groceries, so we don't have to overfill the rv.

It is much harder to make the smaller space work on an extended trip.

Yes, our rv is too small for the job. But the layout is great with efficient use of space. I trust it will be nice enough for a lot of outside time. Plus, we will be going home at least once a week so we can do laundry and get groceries, so we don't have to overfill the rv.

It is much harder to make the smaller space work on an extended trip.

I can imagine. In our little travel trailer we already trip over each other even on weekend trips. Thankfully, we plan to spend most of each trip outdoors.

May-June Wisconsin; what season is that spring, summer, mosquito, black fly or no see ums?

We used to camp in Jackson State Forest outside of Brownstown, IN. Summer was yellow jacket season; woe to anyone who didn't closely guard an open soda can...

No bugs to speak of yet, but expecting a big mosquito crop any day now. Deet is my friend.

No bugs to speak of yet, but expecting a big mosquito crop any day now. Deet is my friend.

Have you tried any of the "Buzz Off" insect-repellant clothing produced by Ex Officio (popular outdoor and travel clothing supplier). We are concerned about repeated exposure to Deet so we bought a couple of tops and hats and are trying it out. So far so good. But this is with our wimpy Pacific Northwest mosquitos here, not Wisconsin-class buggers.

Info on the Buzz Off brand:
Insect Shield - Repellent Technology - Insect repellent you'll love to wear

Have you tried any of the "Buzz Off" insect-repellant clothing produced by Ex Officio (popular outdoor and travel clothing supplier). We are concerned about repeated exposure to Deet so we bought a couple of tops and hats and are trying it out. So far so good. But this is with our wimpy Pacific Northwest mosquitos here, not Wisconsin-class buggers.

They work well for Minnesota mosquitos as well.

Looks like they treat the clothing with permethrin. FYI, you can buy permethrin yourself and treat your own clothes with it. Probably would save you lots of money, but would take some extra time. You also have to be comfortable dealing with a nasty product. I did it once when preparing some clothes for our trip to Thailand. It wasn't too bad. Bought the permethrin at an Army Navy store and sprayed the clothes outside while hanging on our line (being sure to stay upwind!).

I do have a couple of buzz off shirts, but the stuff does wash out after a while. When really buggy I spray my clothes with Deep Woods OFF.

I take a shower at night to wash off the bug dope and the deer ticks.

Back
Top Bottom