Canada by rail

Cattusbabe

Full time employment: Posting here.
Dear husband and I have just returned from Mesa Verde Co. Outside of a little altitude sickness :-[ we had a great time. We are now in the process of planning our trips for 2007 and I have my heart set on traveling Canada by rail coast to coast, East to West this coming summer. The trip should take 16 to 18 days. We are looking at a package deal. Any one do this? Any advice from the Canadians on the forum? Your input would appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't offer much help, since I've never done anything like that. It seems most people miss out on what's in their own backyard -- although to be fair, most of the U.S. is closer to me geographically and in some sense culturally than the other side of Canada is. I've heard it's a beautiful trip, though, so hopefully someone else can offer some tips.

The monopoly is Via Rail (http://www.viarail.ca/), so you'll probably find most of the necessary information there, plus a few googles for other people's advice if you don't get much info on this board. Here is their page for non-Canadians that lets you set up a variety of types of train rides, and here is a complete list of packages that includes cross-Canada trips of varying numbers of days. That should provide some starting info, and as I said I'm sure you can find a ton more info through Google.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this, since I'm not all that fond of monopolies or Canada ;) ... I guess I'll be a reverse-REW: if you were thinking of going to Texas, skip it, there's lots of snakes and armadillos and rednecks and things, you should visit Canada instead -- we have nice, clean trains, friendly people, etc., etc.! ;)

So many people I know have at least gone through the Rockies, but I don't think many go across Canada. I did when I was a kid and it was memorable. I imagine it is plenty expensive though.

I have not done this, but been all over eastern Canada by train, many years ago now. Impressions.........a lot of it
(even eastern part)
was very pretty
but unpopulated, which I liked. Also, the trains were far inferior to AMTRAK
back then. Switching trains at the border, I felt like I was going back
in time about 100 years. Couold be completely different now.

JG

That would be a great trip! I looked at some of the prices from the link Cool Dood provided and a coast to coast trip can cost anywhere from $2,500 to whatever you want to pay. I saw a 4 day mountain trip in the $500 range. That would be more in my price range. I might just do that one day. :)

Definitely a scenic trip. I suggest getting a roomette for a trip of that length otherwise you will find the lack of privacy awkward. Part of the trip across the prairies is very boring. Bring some cards.

The Rockies are awesome, although part of the trip is at night. Try to time it for a full moon. I actually have some pictures taken by moonlight.

Cool Dood said:
The monopoly is Via Rail (http://www.viarail.ca/), so you'll probably find most of the necessary information there, plus a few googles for other people's advice if you don't get much info on this board. Here is their page for non-Canadians that lets you set up a variety of types of train rides, and here is a complete list of packages that includes cross-Canada trips of varying numbers of days. That should provide some starting info, and as I said I'm sure you can find a ton more info through Google.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this, since I'm not all that fond of monopolies or Canada ;) ... I guess I'll be a reverse-REW: if you were thinking of going to Texas, skip it, there's lots of snakes and armadillos and rednecks and things, you should visit Canada instead -- we have nice, clean trains, friendly people, etc., etc.! ;)

Thanks for the responce. We have Googled and been to the VIA site. Just looking for anyone who had some personal insight. DH and I had our honeymoon in Montral and loved it. Parents had been to Canada often when we lived in upstate New York.

Mr._johngalt said:
Also, the trains were far inferior to AMTRAK
back then. Switching trains at the border, I felt like I was going back
in time about 100 years. Couold be completely different now.

JG

Get out. I thought otherwise. Go figure.

kcowan said:
Definitely a scenic trip. I suggest getting a roomette for a trip of that length otherwise you will find the lack of privacy awkward. Part of the trip across the prairies is very boring. Bring some cards.

The Rockies are awesome, although part of the trip is at night. Try to time it for a full moon. I actually have some pictures taken by moonlight.

Thanks for the advice. We are looking at a 17 day package that would allow us to get on and off the train most nights and stay in hotels or resorts.

Surreal said:
Thanks for the advice. We are looking at a 17 day package that would allow us to get on and off the train most nights and stay in hotels or resorts.
If you are not sleeping during travel, the prairies will be even worse. And, while Ontario is pretty and treed, it is over 1600 miles long, mostly trees, lakes and rock. Even that gets repetitive.

OTOH it is a great chance to visit the cities in the country. Don't get depressed by the cities near the tracks. Usually things pick up within a couple of blocks.

Don't expect your VIA Rail train to leave or arrive on time. On second thought, don't consider it possible. There are reasons Canadians don't take the train.

Surreal said:
DH and I had our honeymoon in Montral and loved it.

If you didn't love it, there would be a problem. even the rainiest days should have been glowing.

Yakers who remembers his Hawaiian honeymoon and so knows Hawaii is much better than Nords could ever describe it. :D

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
If y'all are into train trips, be sure to consider the Copper Canyon trip in Mexico. Said to be one of the last great train journeys. Various accounts advise taking first class.

For example:
http://www.caravantours.com/copper-canyon-train-tour.html

Yep, going there in December. Going with some family, friends & train buffs. I'll have to post a report. :D

Thanks for all of the replys. DH and I have decided to postpone consideration of this trip for the time being. Will attempt a shorter trip to see if indeed train travel agrees with us. We have however booked a cruise around the Mediterranean for next year which includes stops in Athens, the Cycladic Islands and Turkey. Should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom