West Coast Help

All politics aside I really haven't found this to be true as a retiree. CA state income taxes are quite high for high income earners, but in retirement my first $40-45K ends up being taxed at something like 3%. That's lower than a lot of other states (though admittedly not NV).

The big one for longtime homeowners, though, is property tax. As a result of Prop 13 my property tax is much less than it would be in most other states - including NV.

There are plenty of valid reasons for leaving CA, but at typical ER income levels it just doesn't seem to me that taxes is really one of them.

Yes, I understand your point. The key word being "typical". I have deferred income from my working years starting up at the end of 2019. Between what I pay in Cali right now and the taxes on the additional income from deferrals, I will save $400,000 in CA income tax over 10 years by living in NV instead. And, my property tax on 2 acres plus a 4300sqft house in CA is $12k per year. My one acre place plus 3000sqFt home in Sparks commands a tax bill of only $4k. The tax savings from these two items alone will cover 80% of the purchase price of the home in Sparks. OTOH, taxes on my RV will double, from 1600 to about 3200, but lower fuel and sales taxes mostly offset that. No, not typical. But since we travel so much anyway, the lower tax base seems to make a whole lot more sense to us than paying an extra $480k to call CA home. The other stuff, political, 2A, etc, is cream on top.

Although I've only traveled (not lived) there, I'd second the Olympic Peninsula. Everything you asked for in your post (including snow skiing) is literally 'out your back door." Suggest you look into Port Townsend & Port Angeles.

The other (secret?) bonus to the east side of the Olympic Peninsula is that it's in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains thus, many places get only 20 inches of rain/year...yes, that's right, half of what Seattle gets.

Olympic Rain Shadow Map and Location

PS: The Olympic Peninsula is less expensive than almost every other place posted thus far, and way less expensive than the Cali locations.

I lived in Kitsap County for 15 years and didn't find any viable ski areas. Great golfing and Gold Mountain, however.

I lived in Kitsap County for 15 years and didn't find any viable ski areas. Great golfing and Gold Mountain, however.

I haven't skied there but Hurricane Ridge seemed to have good reviews, which is what prompted that comment.

PA: Kitsap county is south east of Port Angeles & not in the rain shadow.

Last edited:

Shhhh. I'll let you in on a little secret. Whatcom County. On the Puget Sound, plus some great lakes for kayaking (Lake Padden. Lake Whatcom). You have Mt. Baker for skiing - or can go up to Grouse or Whistler pretty easily.

Lots of hiking, mountain biking, etc. You just need to be willing to do it in the rain. Once I got that mindset I loved it. Nothing better than a good bike ride through the mud on the trails, and then coming home to have some beers with friends.

I lived in Bellingham for 3 years and really enjoyed the outdoor lifestyle. And when I needed my big city fixes I could go to Vancouver, an hour north, or Seattle, 90 minutes south. But Bellingham, being a college town, has a lot to offer on it's own.

But - if you can't take the rain - then the suggestions of Fallbrook and Ramona are good. I'd add Alpine to the list of San Diego county towns. All are about an hour from the beach - but offer lots of hiking/biking in the mountains. Closest skiing is Big Bear, though.

Shhhh. I'll let you in on a little secret. Whatcom County. On the Puget Sound, plus some great lakes for kayaking (Lake Padden. Lake Whatcom). You have Mt. Baker for skiing - or can go up to Grouse or Whistler pretty easily.

Lots of hiking, mountain biking, etc. You just need to be willing to do it in the rain. Once I got that mindset I loved it. Nothing better than a good bike ride through the mud on the trails, and then coming home to have some beers with friends.

I lived in Bellingham for 3 years and really enjoyed the outdoor lifestyle. And when I needed my big city fixes I could go to Vancouver, an hour north, or Seattle, 90 minutes south. But Bellingham, being a college town, has a lot to offer on it's own.
+1 on Bellingham. Western Washington University, lots of coffee shops, Hippie street life in Old Bellingham (CBD, as well as Fairhaven on the SW side of town). Mt Baker skiing is excellent, and local stream and salt fishing is great. Also hiking and biking, mountain or road right in town. Bellingham Bay is lovely, and some of the industry that made unpleasant smells is gone or almost gone.

I originally planned to move to Bellingham after my divorce, but I came to Seattle and remembered that Seattle is basically a piece of heaven for me. The housing crash allowed me to buy right in the center of things, so I DC'd Bellingham as not as good for me and no longer a necessary economy.

Seattle weather is less stormy for the most part.

Ha

I concur about Bellingham. Great medium sized college town right on the sound. Mt. Baker skiing is reportedly excellent but keep in mind the fact that Whistler (north of Vancouver) is only a couple hours drive away.. in fact you can catch the Bolt in Bellingham to Vancouver then the Vancouver-Whistler bus and you are in the center of Whistler. Whistler is an all season resort.

The Alaska Ferry leaves from Bellingham.

I would suggest the Puget Sound area or Olympic Peninsula for the combination of mountains and sea, and a large city (Seattle) nearby. Or maybe Juneau, Alaska.

Port Angeles WA

heh heh heh - Of course at 25,000 plus people it's way over crowded so I like going on past to visit Sis/BIL. ;)

Vancouver would be perfect as there are several ski/mountain biking areas within 30 minutes and Whistler/Squamish just a couple of hours away. However, I imagine the logistics of moving to Canada would (be) great.

Real estate costs in Vancouver are insane. I think NW Washington state would do well for you.

My issue with the north western tip of the Olympic Peninsula is distance from top level health care. A former collogue and his wife moved to Sequim after he retired. Three years later she said she was leaving, with or without him.

Port Angeles customs is the only site where terrorists were actually caught trying to come into the country. Their staff is top notch. For example, they can identify dialects of American English. If you say you are from Portland but they 'hear' Tuscon you will be asked how long you lived in Portland.

Port Angeles Black Ball Ferry is the best route to Victoria.

Ditto. We bought a home in Sparks, next to Reno. Lots of mountain stuff to do, low taxes, etc. We haven't moved there yet...still in Cali, doing a "try before you move for good" kinda thing.
Me too. Currently in Kali but I bought in Spanish Springs just about 3 years ago. I've been renting the place out until I'm ready to hit the eject button. Hopefully, that will be within the next year or two, as I'm running out of steam.

My issue with the north western tip of the Olympic Peninsula is distance from top level health care. A former collogue and his wife moved to Sequim after he retired. Three years later she said she was leaving, with or without him.

Port Angeles customs is the only site where terrorists were actually caught trying to come into the country. Their staff is top notch. For example, they can identify dialects of American English. If you say you are from Portland but they 'hear' Tuscon you will be asked how long you lived in Portland.

Port Angeles Black Ball Ferry is the best route to Victoria.

DW & I visited in 2000, on one of our many 'scout potential FIRE location' vacations. We had the same concern back then plus, for us, it's just a bit too remote up there. IIRC, Port Angeles did have a <100 bed hospital but, it seemed like for anything serious, one would want to go to Seattle.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've taken notes and started researching many of the areas.

Unfortunately, IMO, it has been called the "Peoples Republic of Santa Monica"
Move up the coast a little to Ventura County, the best kept secret in SoCal. Please do not tell anyone I told you

Love ventura. Lived on base at Vandenberg outside the never neverland ranch. Loves waking up to the crisp spring mornings.

DW & I visited in 2000, on one of our many 'scout potential FIRE location' vacations. We had the same concern back then plus, for us, it's just a bit too remote up there. IIRC, Port Angeles did have a <100 bed hospital but, it seemed like for anything serious, one would want to go to Seattle.

Those folks must be real confused when they hear me speak. Lived in the Bayou, middle texas, west coast cali, maui hawaii but spent most my time in midwest minnesota, dontcha know bro, yessir.

Love ventura. Lived on base at Vandenberg outside the never neverland ranch. Loves waking up to the crisp spring mornings.

Spent a couple of months on Vandenberg a long time ago and was always amazed at what a pronounced microclimate prevailed there. Drive through the hills toward the coast and you're in another world.

Back
Top Bottom