Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #381
Recycles dryer sheets

35 days to go!

Like cjacks, sometimes I'm not sure how I feel about it. Today, I am very much at peace with it. Part of me thinks there will be a bit of a hole in my life and I know I'll be sad to leave behind the people and work that have been such a big part of my life. On the other hand, the work seems unimportant anymore and the people, while still nice, are becoming kind of strained in our relationships. Like looking for new space when the current lease expires or dealing with a few employee problems. Stuff like that doesn't bother me anymore.

Can't wait to get going on the next phase of life! There is so much to do.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #382
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ahhhh, this is my last week of not being a lame duck. I give my notice this Friday! Counting today, 13 work days to go. Somehow, I didn't have the Monday-morning blahs this morning!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #383

The deed is done! I gave my notice. Surprisingly, I have some mixed emotions. After all my planning and looking forward to this moment -- strange mix of exhiliration and stomach willies. Admittedly, more of the former but still a weird feeling. I guess the reality hasn't quite set in yet (after all, I do have 2 more weeks of w*rk).
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #384
Recycles dryer sheets

Just dropped the retirement papers in the mail yesterday for a last w*rk day of March 27th. It felt real good to know that it is almost over and that someone else can play the "game" for me after that. No big surprise at w*rk as all knew but it's nice to know that it really is going to happen, pinching myself.

T-bird (28 w*rking days to go)
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012 (waiting at home for me to get on my "list")
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #385
Dryer sheet aficionado

Last Day!

Today was the last day!

Four weeks ago I gave notice and I just finished wrapping everything up this afternoon.

Hard to believe this day has arrived. I almost fell victim to the "one more year" syndrome.

Without the support of this forum, where I'm admittedly more a reader the a writer, it would have happened.

The whole thing feels a little unreal!

In a really good way..
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #386

congratulations Spokane2303, T-bird and mystang52!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #387

Posted a few mo ago on this thread 'bout transitioning to employee status due to takeover of business I was a partner in. It's been a challenge over past few mo to say the least . Recently talked to immediate boss & he offered to try arranging unpaid leave to help me recharge the old batteries. I'm basically FI (per FP), in good health, & recently vested in last company retirement account $$. No pension, BTW, so no other financial carrots to stay for other than saving up a bit more $$ by w#rking (OMY Syndrome). DW was happy with the offer as this unpaid leave could be a trial ER (class of 2013!??). She's already talking about summer roads trips. Part of me agrees with her, but also feel strangely uncomfortable about walking away from ~25yrs with the group while still able to contribute. Maybe ER equivalent of survivor's guilt (vs others till w#rking), or perhaps just emotional inertia. Like the long-time prisoner reluctant to rush out the open cell door
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #388
Dryer sheet wannabe

class of 2013

I posted earlier that i retire in march, 3/22 to be exact. My immediate leadership made sure i got the package and then went so far as to extend me 2 weeks so i'd have another year of service and an extra 4 weeks of severance. How do you complain about that?
However, I am going through "withdrawal pangs" and some of them are painful. The BS never ends. We had a huge layoff and my good fortune was outweighed by those who are ruined. Early 50's, little real hope of getting a similar job. The ones who "survived" are just waiting for the ax to fall on them. How do you compete with someone overseas who lives in a cardboard box and will work for a fraction of what you get. I look at the kids coming in and realize how lucky i am. Generation Y is criticized for focusing more on life that the J*B, but I think that have it right. There is no loyalty anymore and I'm glad I'm hitting the trail.
On a happier note, getting the RV tuned up, on my way to the Jersey shore by May. After that, DW and I will flip a coin. I've learned a lot on this site, I plan to visit from time to time.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #389
Recycles dryer sheets

one of my goals it to reach 1MM miles on United AA. This way I will be lifetime gold. I estimate that it will take me another 15-20 months. Currently 49 and FI.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #390
Full time employment: Posting here.

Man, one of my goals is to fly less. I hit 2 million on AA 6 years ago. I still want to travel in retirement but not like that. Lifetime platinum isn't bad though.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by azauthor View Post
I look at the kids coming in and realize how lucky i am.
+1 on that. Benefits seem to be drying up and wages seem to be going down. I feel for the worker bees I am leaving behind.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #392
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to all new retirees while I have been gone. Just got back from a 2 week cruise and now I have 4 weeks left. I am kind of a Type 1 personality, so even after I gave my notice back in Nov, I still found myself pretty vested and getting pretty stressed out at work. After Xmas, not as much....although more than I expected. I am curious to see how I feel when I get back now. I checked my work email last night and I have a bunch of "OMG, what will we do when you are gone" meetings that have been set up. Those should be interesting.....

Cute story - DH received a nice 39 week severence package just as he was planning to retire in Dec. So for the next 39 weeks, along with his pension, he will receive a weekly paycheck in the mail (no idea why they wouldnt do direct deposit....). So every Thursday, he takes his check and heads to the bank to deposit it.

The teller smiles and says to him one day "Just coming from work?"
He responds: "No, ma'am, I'm coming from my mailbox."
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #393

40 work days left, I start interviewing candidates tomorrow to replace me. Hopefully can get someone on board soon to start training/transitioning.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #394

Another milestone down. Today is my 20th anniversary as a Federal employee (my boss was sweet enough to bring in cookies to acknowledge it). On to the next milestone of reaching age 56 in May.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
The teller smiles and says to him one day "Just coming from work?"
He responds: "No, ma'am, I'm coming from my mailbox."

Very nice.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #396
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
"OMG, what will we do when you are gone"
Remind them of this great line from DeGaulle: "The graveyards are filled with indispensable men."
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokane2303 View Post
Today was the last day!
Four weeks ago I gave notice and I just finished wrapping everything up this afternoon.
Hard to believe this day has arrived. I almost fell victim to the "one more year" syndrome.
Congrats!!!! Look forward to hearing more as you transition to ER lifestyle.

Ironic that you mentioned it, as OMY Syndrome just proved deadly to "healthy" 60yo guy in my neighborhood last week. Ya just never know.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Another milestone down. Today is my 20th anniversary as a Federal employee (my boss was sweet enough to bring in cookies to acknowledge it). On to the next milestone of reaching age 56 in May.

Congrats Helen! I'll have 36 years as a fed in May this year. Time has sure flown by.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #399

Looks like OMY may get me! My son can't get all the classes he needs to graduate from college as early as we were planning. I will have to remain a resident of this state into 2014 to keep in-state tuition. If a voluntary layoff package comes along, I'll be gone in less than a month, if not I have scheduled 9 weeks of vacation this summer and may squeeze in a couple more. In any case, it doesn't look like I will move permanently to Colorado until 2014.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #400

Hermit, I'm sorry to hear this. I would have a really hard time changing my plans at this point. I hope you can move on to your new life soon.