Class of 2013

Definite maybe on joining Class of 2013 in my mid 50's. Co just approved a roughly 3mo unpaid leave (with HI, FWIW). Two FA's say I'm comfortably FI based on last sev yrs actual expenditures, and last yr investment inc was well over actual expenditures. After Co's approval of leave request, I was at first exuberant at prospect of 3mo off..... then ER. Now somewhat uneasy. After 3mo off w#rk, what if I like it? ER earlier than I envisioned & constantly explaining to all why I'm "off w#rk" so 'young'. What if I DON'T like it? Then horrified at the thought of having to w#rk until the big dirt nap. FWIW- plenty of outside interests to keep me busy, but leaving behind 30+yrs of highly technical skill is tougher than I thought it might be. Overall I guess it's a good problem to have, but still not an easy decision to move on with next phase of life.

Congrats!, but IMO, it will be real tough for you to go back to work after 3 mo's off. I have a lot of outside interests also. I agreed to stay on at 2 days a week for a year, but now find that I still don't have time for my outside interests. Now I somewhat regret agreeing to part time work. I hope you don't have any strings attached to your leave - such as the co requiring you to stay for x amount of time after the leave is done. You'll probably develop more outside interests during your leave that will make going back to work tougher than what you currently imagine.

Last edited:
During my last three months I experienced both emotions. Sometimes I would listen to others drone on or complain about stupid polices and just smile and not say a word. Other times I would blow up when people would do stupid things. On a couple of occasions I spoke out about dumb things that had been going on for years. I think when you know you are leaving you feel free to express yourself anyway you chose. Before I decided to retire, I was very careful not to say anything that might offend someone. Also, I really lost my patience towards the end. I just couldn't stand people repeatedly doing or saying things that they had been told about over and over. At one point I actually made a list of the top ten people I would miss the least. I have to admit I then felt really guilty after the grand send off they gave me. I am guessing it is probably a little worse if you've been at the same job for a long time. Things tend to accumulate. Oh we'll I got my first week of retirement in and I have never felt better. I do need to start pacing myself a little, I have been trying to do everything I always wanted to do when I retired in the first week. I just about wore myself out. Although, I have appreciated the slow starts in the morning with an extra cup of coffee and no rush to start my day. The problem starts once I get moving.

Oh we'll I got my first week of retirement in and I have never felt better. I do need to start pacing myself a little, I have been trying to do everything I always wanted to do when I retired in the first week. I just about wore myself out. Although, I have appreciated the slow starts in the morning with an extra cup of coffee and no rush to start my day. The problem starts once I get moving.

so you need a vacation from retirement ? love it ! very nice problem to have

Definite maybe on joining Class of 2013 in my mid 50's. Co just approved a roughly 3mo unpaid leave (with HI, FWIW). Two FA's say I'm comfortably FI based on last sev yrs actual expenditures, and last yr investment inc was well over actual expenditures. After Co's approval of leave request, I was at first exuberant at prospect of 3mo off..... then ER. Now somewhat uneasy. After 3mo off w#rk, what if I like it? ER earlier than I envisioned & constantly explaining to all why I'm "off w#rk" so 'young'. What if I DON'T like it? Then horrified at the thought of having to w#rk until the big dirt nap. FWIW- plenty of outside interests to keep me busy, but leaving behind 30+yrs of highly technical skill is tougher than I thought it might be. Overall I guess it's a good problem to have, but still not an easy decision to move on with next phase of life.

ERhoosier: I felt the same way about "leaving behind my 30+ years of highly technical skill". I panicked about that several times.
Many of us here talk about our identity being defined by what our careers are/were. It does take some time to develop another identity in retirement, I think. But what's interesting to me is that I still think of myself as a psychologist (although my career was in applied psychology: consumer research), observing human behavior and musing about it. But what's cool about retirement to me is that you can develop other aspects of who you are as a person, now that you're not all wrapped up in the career aspects. It's not just the hobbies and interests per se, but what those hobbies allow you to express, which is usually creativity in some form. I never had the time or energy to be creative when w**king. Now I feel like I've gone back to my teenage years when I used to make stuff all the time.
I also feel like I can be more of a "real person" in dealing with others now that I'm not so stressed.
Jeez, I'm getting a bit too zen here. Just wanted to make the point that our technical skills are still a part of our identity, and that retirement allows us to become more multi-faceted and excellent people. :angel:

Well, after spending a couple of hours reading this whole long thread, I can only say that it is a pleasure to see the hopes and dreams of so many hard-working lives finally move into focus. To see them realized. There is an emotional journey behind each and every poster here, underlit by joy and hope. My congratulations to all who have already met their cherished milestone; and to all those who soon will!

I'll add my name to the list. I'm planning on bailing on November 1st, giving notice in mid August.

Two weeks ago I paid off my mortgage early. That was done less for financial reasons than for emotional ones. One of the three must-meet milestones I long ago set for myself before retiring was to be entirely debt free. Felt almost surreal at first. But I'm getting used to it!

Now it's just a matter of tracking to my "Retirement Roadmap - 2013" - a long, involved spreadsheet that details all my revenue, expense, investment, and tax expectations through 2015.

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
4. mystang52 (Glenn) - 60
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
24. urn2bfree - 52 - December 1, 2013
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
27. Sarah in SC's DH -50 6/28/2013
28. BTravlin - 55
29. kyounge1956 - will be 57 - spring
30. jon-nyc - 44
31. Rickochet - 58 DW - 53 (She wants to work!!)
32. Lcountz
33. boatfishandnature - July 31
34. Jager (Jeff) - 60 - November 1, 2013

I found the reverse to be true. Because I didn't have to put up with all the BS if I didn't want to, I found it less irritating. I could sit in a meeting and listen to others drone on and on while smiling to myself, knowing I could walk anytime I wanted to.

I have 83 days left (1 June) and I find myself doing the same thing. Most of what is being said is important to them, but it just isn't really that important to me any more. I do have to be careful, because I'm still compensated and I care about the people and organization and purpose, but mentally, I just know that all of these very real problems just won't be mine for much longer, and it makes all the difference in the world.

Please add my name to the class of 2013. Gave notice yesterday and will work until the end of June. Wanted it to be earlier, say end of April, but was talked into staying a little longer for a replacement to be found. I am 57 years young and really looking forward to the freedom of retirement. It doesn't seem real yet, and probably won't until I am actually free.

Please add my name to the class of 2013. Gave notice yesterday and will work until the end of June. Wanted it to be earlier, say end of April, but was talked into staying a little longer for a replacement to be found. I am 57 years young and really looking forward to the freedom of retirement. It doesn't seem real yet, and probably won't until I am actually free.

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
28. BTravlin - 55
30. jon-nyc - 44
32. Lcountz
35. Future beach bum - 57__________________

There ya go. Welcome!

I found the reverse to be true. Because I didn't have to put up with all the BS if I didn't want to, I found it less irritating. I could sit in a meeting and listen to others drone on and on while smiling to myself, knowing I could walk anytime I wanted to.

This is definatly my case. Also find my inbox to have less stuff in it and it almost appears that they are just happy to have me come in and piddle around. Had one person this morning comment that she probably couldn't slap the smile off my face and she is right. It feels a bit strange but in a very very good way. Having a lunch retirement farewell gathering on the 27th which is my last day. I told my boss that I will just eat and fade off into the sunset. Pinching myself to really believe that it is almost here. :dance:

T-bird
Class of 2013 (9 days and counting)
DW Class of 2012

I have 2 more weeks to go. I feel like I'm chasing my tail--too many loose ends. Some of them, I just can't totally walk away from, but most I can. The clients will get over it. But boy, I sort of expected to just spend the last couple of weeks handing stuff off, getting 30 years worth of personal stuff out of the office and all that, but it's been really busy. I'm so looking forward to saying, "that ain't my problem".

I have 2 more weeks to go. I feel like I'm chasing my tail--too many loose ends. Some of them, I just can't totally walk away from, but most I can. The clients will get over it. But boy, I sort of expected to just spend the last couple of weeks handing stuff off, getting 30 years worth of personal stuff out of the office and all that, but it's been really busy. I'm so looking forward to saying, "that ain't my problem".

Congratulations, Walkon. I have 2 more months. I am already saying "that ain't my problem". I've been moving away from the longer term stuff and doing more of the daily IT operations work. I like that work better anyway, I find it more rewarding.

I have been busy outside of work too. I just finished our taxes, I have a relative coming for a visit on Saturday and I have an 8 hour GPS class on Sunday. In addition, my mind is moving toward retirement. I am lookiing for a small used van to buy and starting to plan where I want to go and what I need to take with me.

I've also been sidetracked by the ankle I broke in early January.

It's all good, the time is flying by.

I'm in a similar situation - two weeks to go (kind of). After that I'm going to the office a day a week to continue training my replacement. (in exchange for the co buying me out). So I'm not really chasing my tail. My replacement has been doing most of my work for the last few months, so I really have nothing to wrap up, and I've taken all of my personal stuff home. My clients are working with my replacement, but I haven't mentioned specifics to them.

And I have a similar "that ain't my problem". Shortly after selling the last of my co stock, I still found myself dictating workflow/scheduling. The president of the co said "that is no longer your concern", so "no longer my concern" is my motto.

The only issue is that I have clients who want me to do things and I can't really just walk on them. But I'm working on it. There are 2 categories-those I like and those I don't care all that much about. I'll deal with both, but one group is sure easier than the other. And about 100% of the "those I like" category applaud me not going to work.

It may take a few months of adjustment by the clients, but I am so ready to just get past it.

Congratulations, Walkon. I have 2 more months. I am already saying "that ain't my problem". I've been moving away from the longer term stuff and doing more of the daily IT operations work. I like that work better anyway, I find it more rewarding.

I have been busy outside of work too. I just finished our taxes, I have a relative coming for a visit on Saturday and I have an 8 hour GPS class on Sunday. In addition, my mind is moving toward retirement. I am lookiing for a small used van to buy and starting to plan where I want to go and what I need to take with me.

I've also been sidetracked by the ankle I broke in early January.

It's all good, the time is flying by.

It all sounds great, and the time should just fly by.

With a GPS class you shouldn't have any problem finding your way home :)

Reading your post has reminded me to change the maps card in our hand-held GPS for our hiking trips in England in a few weeks time.

1. martyb - 55
2. DFA - 54
3. Chris2008 - 54
5. SteveNU - 56
6. T-bird - 58
7. misty57 (DH) - 55
8. Coaster - 53
9. Helen - 56
10. Rita-61
11. KM - 55 - March 15, 2013 - RETIRED :dance::dance::dance::dance:
12. Lau_Ann - 55
13. Ronstar - 57
14. Spokane2303 - 56
15. Donna - 58
16. ChrisC (and DW) - 58
17. Bikeknit - 60
18. Traineeinvestor - 47
19. Sheehs1 - 58
20. smurray5991 - 57
21. obgyn65 - 48
22. DFW_M5 - 63
23. Cjack-49
25. ChainsBeGone-48
26. Seraphim - 57
28. BTravlin - 55
30. jon-nyc - 44
32. Lcountz

I will go in for a couple hours the week after next to be sure the new guy is all set, turn in my badge, computer, Blackberry, etc, etc

Didnt do much this week - but was surprised with a great retirement party on Wednesday.

Imagine spending your entire career trying to to be a certain type of manager.... You know some days you do better than others, but you hope that in the end you held true to your beliefs and values....and maybe made a difference. And then at your retirement party, one of your employees gets up to read a statement they put together about what you meant to them and what it was like to work for you. And it describes everything you tried to be....and you realize that maybe you didnt do too bad after all. It reduced me to tears.

Yeah - I am glad to leave the stress and anxiety behind - but I was truly blessed to work with some wonderful people.

I dont think it will really sink in until we hook up the fifth wheel in 3 weeks, hit the road, and realize we don't have to come back until we want to. That will be pretty awesome.

I did the next step.
Have told my boss and HR that I will leave as DH will retire in summer.
We agreed that I will work full time till end of June and 3 days per week till end of Sept.

Company has the benefit of a smooth transfer.
I have the benefit of spending long weekends with DH all summer while I still have the company car ;-))
On Sept 15 we will leave to travel one month in Namibia - our first trip in ER.
DH is 61 and I will be 55 by then.
Life is good.

Thanks to this forum. I am not sure to have been determined enough without your life stories here.

I did the next step.
Have told my boss and HR that I will leave as DH will retire in summer.
We agreed that I will work full time till end of June and 3 days per week till end of Sept.

That step does tend to provide increased peace of mind and less stress afterwards, congrats!

Congratulations, KM! Sounds like the perfect note to end things on...

I have officially handed over my biggest single management responsibility - a committee that chewed up over 600 hours of my time last year. For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on my successor does not seem to be too enthusiastic about his new appointment.:rolleyes:

Retirement date: 30 September, 2013

I have officially handed over my biggest single management responsibility - a committee that chewed up over 600 hours of my time last year. For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on my successor does not seem to be too enthusiastic about his new appointment.:rolleyes:

Retirement date: 30 September, 2013

You obviously didn't sell the role well enough.:)

One week left! There are a few clients that want me to stay involved on some things, but I'm hoping that ends sooner rather than later. And I will get paid for that, even though I won't be coming to work. And if I generate any new work for the firm after I'm gone, I'll get a percentage of the revenue for the first year, so that isn't all bad.

It's a little scary and a little sad, but it is time and I'm looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom