Class of 2013

Thought i would ease into retirement

-So! Company decided that they didn't want me working remotely - I now just have 8 more days of work, then move back to the US, a slight transition as I turned down a big job, and I am off to RE land - floating between despair and giddyness. Looks like I am going to get what I wanted:cool:. I've got boats to build....

Wow, looks like several people targeting end of March.

I haven't fixed a date with w*&k yet but that will likely be my date as well.

I'm planning RE 10/15/2013

After 58th birthday (7/17/2013).
After vesting in company stock (8/29/2013).
After vesting in a small pension (7/1/2013)

And before that BIG pile of year end work starts 11/1/2013.
(I'll get 75% of the years pay, and do 25% of the years work).

I'm planning RE 10/15/2013

After 58th birthday (7/17/2013).
After vesting in company stock (8/29/2013).
After vesting in a small pension (7/1/2013)

And before that BIG pile of year end work starts 11/1/2013.
(I'll get 75% of the years pay, and do 25% of the years work).

Isn't that how it should be getting all the goodies and leaving a nice sampling of w*rk for those that will carry on once you leave. Congrats to the class of 2013! :dance: We are a happy lot not worried about the unlucky number 13. To us it is all good. :cool:

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012

50 work days left till April 30, as I'm taking every Friday off:dance:

Ahhhhhhh, FINALLY this long month (basically it was 5 weeks) is nearing its end. And then that means only one more month for me (and 19 w*rk days)! No wonder I'm in a good mood today.

Good idea. I'm taking off every Friday and a whole week sometime, so I have 30 working days until April 1st.

Although the work load hasn't changed at all, I am amazed at how much stress this has relieved for me, alot of which was caused by commuting back and forth to work. I almost can't imagine what the full time effect will be:cool:

I was originally planning on this being my last day of work. Upcoming layoffs, and the generous severance package, caused me to not give notice yet. Boss says its unlikely ill be hit, but 60 day notices go out in about two weeks. My lead wants me to stay on two months longer to complete one of his projects.

I guess the problem is that I am not able to "let go" of this job. I thought that deciding to retire and better yet, get a layoff, would cause me to relax and not stress about work anymore. Its not happening that way. Instead, it seems ive put my personal life on hold, waiting for retirement to start on my "to do" lists.

73 scheduled work days left, we shall see how many sick days there end up being in that number.....

Congrats to us!!

Poor Heather. 40 sounds pretty good. Although I have lots of stuff to do in those 40 days and now things are getting scheduled past my departure date. Gotta work on that issue.

My official position is that I am not retiring, I'm just not going to work as of April 1 and they're not going to pay me. IF, and unfortunately there will be a few things for a bit, I have to work on something, I will get paid 30% of the receipts from my work. My wish is that there isn't much of that, but on the other hand, my hourly rate is $350, so getting paid $105 for each hour of work somebody makes me do isn't all that bad. I won't have to go to an office, I won't have to worry about overhead and I won't have to do any work if I don't want to do it. But my wife and I don't want me to do anything work wise unless it is just absolutely necessary.

It's starting to feel real to me. I submitted my TSP forms to max out my 401k + catch-up in the next 7 paychecks. I will retire mid May, hopefully on Friday the 10th.

I'm also plotting out my summer road trip plans. Since breaking my ankle 4 weeks ago I've had to adjust my long distance backpacking plans. I think I will head to the Canadian Rockies and do a series of 3 - 5 day backpacking trips instead of one long multi-week trip.

I am getting excited! Here's to the class of 2013 :greetings10: !!!!!

I've been asking myself recently, why do I bother continuing to work? Is it just inertia, I planned to retire in May, so I'll retire in May? Why don't I just bail now? Called the retirement office and discovered that given the time needed to process the paperwork, if I waffle for just a little while longer, "retire now" and "retire in May as planned" become the same thing for all practical purposes.

Another of life's thorny little problems solved by a bit of judicious procrastination. :LOL:

Days to retirement - 1 Meeting with accountants at 9, haul unaccompanied baggage up to Perth, move furniture out of apartment. Party tonight. Fly home on Tuesday.....Can't believe it is finally here.

Congratulations Thowdownmyaceinthehole.

My official position is that I am not retiring, I'm just not going to work as of April 1 and they're not going to pay me. IF, and unfortunately there will be a few things for a bit, I have to work on something, I will get paid 30% of the receipts from my work. .... I won't have to go to an office, I won't have to worry about overhead and I won't have to do any work if I don't want to do it.

I've been offered a similar deal once I take my "career break" later this year (I'm not supposed to use the "R" word). Having an office + secretarial and tech support for a while longer is convenient and I won't have to do anything unless I feel like it.

234 calendar days to go ....

Well, I'm down to 15 get up days. For me the end has been really strange. Hollow and disappointing are the first words that come to mind. Our company started in 1985 with 4 people in a one room office. Today we have 250 people in a 500,000 sq ft. Mfg facility. I have served as the VP of Operations for almost 28 years. At 63 I am just walking away. Many seem puzzled as to why I have no interest in part time or consulting. I don't even know why I feel the way I do. The owner's son is taking over the company and he is nothing like his father who I have worked for for over 40 years. While I like and get along with the son, I don't care for his approach to business and ever day affairs in the company. The son has an MBA and over reacts a lot but he does have good intentions. However, he is continually adding rules and policies. The environment has become sterile and by the book. I have found peace by saying things are just different. (As opposed to worse) I just want the last 15 days to end. I think once I can concentrate on my new future I will feel much better. I have a very active future planned. I found out they are planning a big "surprise" retirement party which I was hoping to avoid. I feel like I gave it everything thing I had, I just ran out of gas. I am trying to care, or act like I care, but underneath I just don't give a dam anymore. I sure hope when I wake up on March 2, I feel better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom