26. Seraphim - 57
27. Sarah in SC's DH -50 6/28/2013
28. BTravlin - 55
29. kyounge1956 - will be 57 - spring
30. jon-nyc - 44
31. Rickochet - 58 DW - 53 (She wants to work!!):D
32. Lcountz
33. boatfishandnature - July 31

I think lcountz and boatfishandnature gotta come clean with their ages...

Congrats to newcomers. It is funny how many of us go through the same thing. When I told my boss I was retiring, he told me he had applied for a different position and he would push for me to take his. I laughed and said "No thanks - had that option twice before. Didnt want it then - sure dont want it now". Now we are seeing who can get out the door first.

Worst part is the person I (and my boss) wanted to take over my job took a job elsewhere. Probably a smart move on his part - but I was hoping he would stick around. So things that are already a mess due to a whole new upper management structure....are about to get messier. And I am pretty confident my boss will be gone by summer. Given how difficult some people have been to deal with the past year - my sympathy level is pretty low right now.

[-]
  • 3 more weeks of work,
  • 1 week vacation (Xmas),
  • 4 weeks work (couple of vacation days here and there)
[/-]
  • 3 weeks work (taking Fridays off)
  • 2 weeks vacation (cruise)
  • 4 weeks work (taking Fridays off)
  • :dance:

Add mee!

I worked in the biotech/legal field until mid-2010, then as a consultant for a couple of years. Last week I turned down the last project that was offered to me, and I have no intention of taking anything else on ... maybe I'll change my mind, but I doubt it. So I guess I'm official, sort of. :cool:

I'm 53, DH is 61 (already retired, and will apply for SS next week now that he has reached 61 yrs 9 mos).

Were it not for DH's very elderly father who is in the assisted living-hospital-nursing home loop, we'd be off doing stuff (traveling, camping, hiking), but sooner or later we'll be able to enjoy our retirement more.

Cheers, - Rosie

I did it, I did it, I did it!!! Today I had "the talk" - they wanted me to take on another high profile position (working 80+ hours probably) and I told them no. That I was winding down and would only work part time remotely and would not commute the horrid 2 hour drive. I heard alot of gulping on the other end, even tho I had made my intentions clear. I am on my way to FREEDOM!!!!

Congrats! I can feel your joy.

70 days to go! But who is counting?

I'll be 63 so you youngsters should be showing me some respect! My wife is 58 but has been retired for quite a while.

Joining the class! I was a member of the Class of 2014, but I'm done and we are pulling the trigger.

My personal trigger will be on May 23, 2013, the second the students leave!

(age 50 for the list, lol)

Add Nikita (age 59) to the class of 2013. Its going to happen before I turn 60 in April.

Feb. 1st I join the retiree ranks at 58! Congrats to all of our "2013 classmates!"

Jan 4th was my date... was looking at sept; however, just did not pay to stay. So congrats to my fellow 2013 classmates and may you stay healthy and prosper for many many years.... by the way... only 55 and loving it...

Have you added your names to the list?

I only have 7 more "working" days. I really do have a lot of things to wrap up so I can leave my counterparts across the grid in as good as shape as possible. I feel pain for them as they are getting more & more piled on them. That's the way of the world.... Do more with less. Hopefully retirement is not the same. Have a great day fellow 2013'ers!!!!

I'm officially in a "holding pattern". It's a nice feeling that I can go anytime I want to now. All requirements for pension eligibility are met. If I retired tomorrow, my net income would not be reduced, in fact it would go up just a hair, without withdrawals from my TSP. Of course, I'm used to contributing the IRS max, so my normal pay is a good bit lower than it would otherwise be. Still....between pension & withdrawal, we'd be just fine. Wife will work another 3 yrs or so, and we'll continue to pump up her 401k & the Roth IRA's as much as possible. I think it'll feel different coming to work now, knowing I don't have to if I don't want to anymore. When the time feels exactly right, I'll bail. It won't be long now...

I like the "holding pattern" idea; I am there too; don't know what is going on with work, no one is talking.:confused:
We are FI now, but I am still working waiting to see what changes at work come down, may get laid off, with severance and vacation payout because the corp is being taken over by the banks. :confused:
The banks may offer key employees options to stay on after change of control, but I would probably take the payouts and RE. :dance:
Also, DW is looking at 2.5 years of working left to get to her goal of 30 years military time, but she is looking at jobs outside of the state which means a move, I would probably RE if we move since I don't really need to work anymore. :dance:

So “holding pattern” it is, maybe I will be able to set a date soon:dance:

70 days to go! But who is counting?

I'll be 63 so you youngsters should be showing me some respect! My wife is 58 but has been retired for quite a while.

"You talkin to me":D. Hey, I'll be 64 in June and DW turns 59 in July. I'm not yet in countdown mode, but the end of April is not far off.

I'm officially in a "holding pattern". It's a nice feeling that I can go anytime I want to now. All requirements for pension eligibility are met. If I retired tomorrow, my net income would not be reduced, in fact it would go up just a hair, without withdrawals from my TSP. Of course, I'm used to contributing the IRS max, so my normal pay is a good bit lower than it would otherwise be. Still....between pension & withdrawal, we'd be just fine. Wife will work another 3 yrs or so, and we'll continue to pump up her 401k & the Roth IRA's as much as possible. I think it'll feel different coming to work now, knowing I don't have to if I don't want to anymore. When the time feels exactly right, I'll bail. It won't be long now...

MB-nice to see the "Days to Freedom: 0" in your sig line. Bet it feels good eh?

This, hopefully, last year at work is much tougher than I expected

I am still hoping/planning to pull the plug at w*rk by the end of 2013. I am not ready to make it official by adding my name to the 2013 list for a while yet. DW and I decided yesterday that we will make the decision on October 1st, and if it is a go I will give notice before Nov 1.

Problem is, this last year is turning out to be much more difficult at w*rk than I had hoped. I was hoping to get out before a new software system was implemented, but it was moved up to this year. This new software is proving to be a step backwards and basically requires more work and is much less user friendly than the software we already utilize. This implementation has alreadly been difficult as it requires me to travel a great deal the last several months and will continue another 3 months.

I would really like to get out now but I expect a very nice bonus coming my way just about the same time we "go live" end of April. Also, I don't want to jump out just as the going gets tough and leave my department in a lurch. So I bite my tongue and just keep plugging away. I truly hate going to work now much more than I ever did in the past.

I visit this forum daily just to keep my focus on our ER goal.

I would really like to get out now but I expect a very nice bonus coming my way just about the same time we "go live" end of April. Also, I don't want to jump out just as the going gets tough and leave my department in a lurch. So I bite my tongue and just keep plugging away. I truly hate going to work now much more than I ever did in the past.

I visit this forum daily just to keep my focus on our ER goal.

Tom-I'm in a different industry but a very similar situation; just a slightly longer timeline. I feel your pain. I've made a "To Do" list of things to complete before FIRE, which is helping me get through; helps me keep a positive focus. In addition to that, DW and I make sure we enjoy ourselves as much as possible in the meantime.

MB-nice to see the "Days to Freedom: 0" in your sig line. Bet it feels good eh?

Yep, it sure does!:dance:

Now all I have to decide is the exact date I WANT to stop working. :cool: Gonna be sooner rather than later...

i'm taking the plunge

Been watching this site for years. Learned a lot. I think I was suffering from "one more year" syndrome until corp announced a huge layoff. Boss made sure i was on list. (Good guy, not bad guy). My last day is March 8th. Got a lot of work to do if i plan to be on the road in my rv by May!

Been watching this site for years. Learned a lot. I think I was suffering from "one more year" syndrome until corp announced a huge layoff. Boss made sure i was on list. (Good guy, not bad guy). My last day is March 8th. Got a lot of work to do if i plan to be on the road in my rv by May!

Well that is definitely one of the better ways to go (DH got a similiar incentive in Dec). Congratulations!

No time like the present, Marty. You're right in the middle of the Sharelunker program entry dates. :D
TPWD: Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center | ShareLunker Program

Yeah, I know! Where I currently work and live 4 days a week, I'm 15-20 minutes from Sam Rayburn, and have never once fished there! I used to fish Toledo Bend, Caddo, Lake O' The Pines, etc etc regularly, but not at all lately. On the Louisiana side, I've spent countless hours on the Red River and all the lakes within a couple hrs of Shreveport. I've fished Lake Fork maybe a dozen times or so. You'd think I'd be dying to get out there, and I actually am. It's just that work is getting in the way these days. I'm holding off till I retire to get another boat. I put fishing on the back burner when I moved up north back in '08, except for just a handful of trips with friends. Sold my boat, and put it mostly out of my mind. That's about to change though...very soon. This year. Might be a little later in the year, though.

Back
Top Bottom