Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I spend so little on clothing that it hardly matters where I buy. But mostly, it's Kohl's for shirts, undies, socks, and shoes, Costco for jeans.
+1 on the Costco jeans. I like their socks and underwear, too, though I did get a bad batch of undies that shrunk. Took 'em back, no sweat.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

If it were legal, I would have a $0.00 clothing bill.

I just gave away all of my formal w*rk clothes to my housecleaner and her friends. It was very gratifying to help these young ladies just starting out.

I am using my less formal w*rk clothes for everyday wear. I invested in some cotton sundresses at Beall's Outlet and a new bathing suit on last trip to FL.

I have too many shoes in my closet. All were bought off season on sale.
I need to weed out the size 9 1/2s and 10s from when I was heavier.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

As usual, I am different. (Just look at my profile, if you don't believe that). I love dressy clothes and jewelry, and like to wear tailored suits with elegant lapel pins. When I do, it feels like I am making the most of myself.

Yes, I also love wearing jeans, shorts, and sleeveless tops, but still, I find it kind of depressing that once I retire, I'll have to dress casual year-round since the only places people dress well nowadays are work and possibly church. I don't want to feel out of place by over-dressing, but I also dislike the thought of going to seed. There ought to be a middle ground for those who want one.

(This does not keep me from wanting to retire as soon as practical, though!!)

Amethyst
Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW never liked my selection of clothes, so she buys them when she sees fit. Does that make me a kept man?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
want to feel out of place by over-dressing, but I also dislike the thought of going to seed. There ought to be a middle ground for those who want one.

Amethyst
There are some very nice casual clothes that while not dressy are very well put together . I have assembled a whole uniform of casual clothes that looks good . Mix and match items from chico's with coordinating jewelry . Long knit sundresses with funky jewelry and a shawl if necessary . Tailored pants with a silk cami and co-ordinating sweater and more funky jewelry . I also have jeans and gym clothes but they are only for around the house or the gym . I do have nice jeans with white blouses or stretchy tees for occasional wear. So no you do not have to go to seed you just have to find your style .
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
As usual, I am different. (Just look at my profile, if you don't believe that). I love dressy clothes and jewelry, and like to wear tailored suits with elegant lapel pins. When I do, it feels like I am making the most of myself.

Yes, I also love wearing jeans, shorts, and sleeveless tops, but still, I find it kind of depressing that once I retire, I'll have to dress casual year-round since the only places people dress well nowadays are work and possibly church. I don't want to feel out of place by over-dressing, but I also dislike the thought of going to seed. There ought to be a middle ground for those who want one.

Amethyst
You can wear anything you want once you retire. Nobody will be telling you what to wear (or when to get up in the morning, or where to go). That's one of the truly great aspects of being retired.

Granted, you might feel a little strange going to the grocery store or other venue in dressy clothing and jewelry, but others will probably assume that you just came from a dressy event.

I think the reason that most retirees "dress down" is that we just feel more comfortable that way. That doesn't mean that you have to follow suit. Life is short and you have earned the right to dress nicely when you want to after retirement. Just be YOU, and enjoy your future retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

You're right as always, Moe, and I'll bet you are elegant too. I will put my imagination to work. Maybe I need to design a whole new line of clothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
There are some very nice casual clothes that while not dressy are very well put together . I have assembled a whole uniform of casual clothes that looks good . Mix and match items from chico's with coordinating jewelry . Long knit sundresses with funky jewelry and a shawl if necessary . Tailored pants with a silk cami and co-ordinating sweater and more funky jewelry . I also have jeans and gym clothes but they are only for around the house or the gym . I do have nice jeans with white blouses or stretchy tees for occasional wear. So no you do not have to go to seed you just have to find your style .
Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Not unless you want to be one To me it sounds like you're one-half of an efficient team.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
DW never liked my selection of clothes, so she buys them when she sees fit. Does that make me a kept man?
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Amethyst
You should consider moving to Europe.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #50

Been retired for five years now and if I need clothes DW goes to our french taylor, JayCee Pennie and buys what I need. If she didn't I would wear my tattered rags forever.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #51

Garage sales and thrift shops for shorts and t-shirts. Have enough slacks etc from working days to last awhile. Will hit Marshalls, Bealls, Kohls clearance racks and sales once every couple of years. Every few years we hit the Factory Outlet Stores, Vanity Fair frequently has decent sales, combined with coupons makes it worthwhile. Add Macy's for DW.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're right as always, Moe, and I'll bet you are elegant too. I will put my imagination to work. Maybe I need to design a whole new line of clothing!

Thanks , I am not elegant but I refuse to look seedy so I aim for a casual trendy in a slightly funky way . I'm sure when you are ready to retire you will seamlessly adapt your wardrobe to your new life .
Old 07-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #53

Quote:

Amethyst
That's my problem too but after 4 years of retirement I'm finally getting better with NOT wanting to buy more dressy clothes. I've always liked buying clothing - not super pricey things but clothing that made me feel good. Right after I retired I really missed getting dressed for work and not needing more dressy clothes. I think it was sort of a creative outlet for me.

I've settled down quite a bit now and tend to buy mostly casual clothing - on sale - from Land's End or Eddie Bauer.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I spend so little on clothing that it hardly matters where I buy. But mostly, it's Kohl's for shirts, undies, socks, and shoes, Costco for jeans.
I've never been to Costco...for anything...I don't get out enough, I guess.

I do buy most of my clothes at Kohl's...half the time I have no idea how much they cost until I get them to the register.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I get hand me down clothes from my son when he outgrows them. I get free T-shirts all the time from various volunteer activities.

And I am wearing camo cargo shorts right now.

If you have high arches, get those shoe inserts. I use the carbon-fiber (not rubber/plastic) ones that never wear out made by Spenco ThinSole, so they just get transferred to any new shoes I get from my son.

I see you can get those Spenco's on amazon.com. Never heard of them before, but they surely have rave reviews from the women on there. I'm looking into that one...thanks!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm curious how other FIREd folks handle their clothes shopping and how long they typically keep clothes before throwing them away. Do you go for quality clothes at sale prices or tend to buy lower end, less expensive items?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Yea, I quit wearing them too.
Goodwill for 90%. Surf shorts, t-shirts, and rubber slippers. Once every 2-3 years I'll buy a $50 pair of running shoes. I also have a half-dozen aloha shirts to wear to more formal affairs.

"Good" t-shirts (about five or six) go in the upper drawer. "Wearable" t-shirts (about 30) go in one side of the lower drawer. Yardwork & taekwondo t-shirts go in another side of the lower drawer. When the drawer fills up with t-shirts then the half-dozen worst-looking ones become rags.

Rags are used & washed for years. This can be a sorting problem if rags are washed on the same day that I'm washing the rest of my t-shirts.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm curious how other FIREd folks handle their clothes shopping and how long they typically keep clothes before throwing them away. Do you go for quality clothes at sale prices or tend to buy lower end, less expensive items?
Well being major outdoor types, DH and I tend to buy quite a bit of technical clothing from REI. $$$ - but a lot of it lasts forever (I still wear some pants I bought when I retired 11 years ago), and neither of us has that big of a wardrobe anyway so we wear the same stuff over and over.

Beyond that - we both own a lot of T-shirts.

After retiring, I got rid of 75%+ of my clothes and shoes. I didn't need the stuff I had worn to work anymore. And got rid of almost all my dressy clothes. The tiny few left are currently in storage. We don't dress up anymore.

Audrey
Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You should consider moving to Europe.
Or New York City, or Latin America.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I see you can get those Spenco's on amazon.com. Never heard of them before, but they surely have rave reviews from the women on there. I'm looking into that one...thanks!!!!
I bought mine from a local sporting goods store like Dick's, Sports Authority, whatever. You can try them on there just like you try on shoes.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

If it is name brand and I buy it... it is either a close out or on sale.