comments from coworkers in my last two weeks

Uh - haven't gotten to read this whole thread. Actually only got thru page 1, but need to go back to the women needing to learn how to swing a hammer and change oil commnet.....

Now wait a second - exactly how many men can actually do those things?

virginia said:
Uh - haven't gotten to read this whole thread. Actually only got thru page 1, but need to go back to the women needing to learn how to swing a hammer and change oil commnet.....
Now wait a second - exactly how many men can actually do those things?
Any gearhead can change the oil with a wrench, but it takes a real man to change the oil with a hammer!

I'm afraid, however, that now I'll have to do the next oil change with an EasyOut...

I read the original post and the last several. Seems like there is little to connect them. I'll disconnect too. I have 2 weeks left, my coworkers cooments tend to be 'I exercised my options and sold the stock when the gain was 50%, how did you know they would be worth 400%?"

What I didn't tell them is that I followed a similar stategy (DCA out), but when I cashed in I didn't buy a trip/boat/house/cabin/car/other-consumable but I bought boring dividend stocks and ETF's.

Kumquat, you are right... somehow this thread got hijacked to focus on working for women bosses ... while this is interesting in an academic sense ... who cares.

My coworkers comments, since I have announced my retirement coming up in July:
- YOUR KIDDING
- how can you do that ? ( sub titled: I have 38 years in and can't afford to do it)
- what are you going to do all day? :eek: :LOL: from the workaholic
- you don't look old enough to retire new found lack of stress from imminent FIRE
- how can you do that? from the guy with the vacation home, the newest toys that come out every month ...etc.
- will you come back to work as a contractor? NO
- why don't you take a leave of absence and reconsider this NO :p
- how can you do that? from the guy who said, I don't have to do a 401K.. I have plently of time...
- will you keep in touch ? Sure ...
- you'll be sorry .. SS is going to go bust ... Don't think so .. and quite frankly not counting on it
- have you considered the cost of health insurance? YES
- how can you do that ? from the guy who thinks life begins and ends with the Megacorp....

I'm loving this ... almost as much as FIREing (but not quite). Life is good :D

megacorp-firee,

I like your comments but a lot of them don't apply to me. Like the Molsons commercial (that you may or may not have seen) I AM CANADIAN.

I don't have to worry about HC insurance.
I get a bit of Cdn SS (CPP), maybe 5K/yr
I look younger than my years ( just me, not part of being Cdn).
Reconsider what, you got a buyout coming?

Follow me, drink the koolaid, I'm never wrong! In a serious vein, I appreciate your comments and I hope your ER is as good as I think mine will be. If you decide to come north for a vacation, PM me.

kumquat said:
megacorp-firee,

I like your comments but a lot of them don't apply to me. Like the Molsons commercial (that you may or may not have seen) I AM CANADIAN.

I don't have to worry about HC insurance.
I get a bit of Cdn SS (CPP), maybe 5K/yr
I look younger than my years ( just me, not part of being Cdn).
Reconsider what, you got a buyout coming?

Follow me, drink the koolaid, I'm never wrong! In a serious vein, I appreciate your comments and I hope your ER is as good as I think mine will be. If you decide to come north for a vacation, PM me.
no worries Kumquat... I am done agonizing ... koolaid glass is dry... turned my papers in. ;)
I'm right behind you ... 41 days and a wake up... :D :D :D
It will have to be a summer vacation ... hate those cold winters ...where ya at in Canada?

kumquat said:
About 200 miles due north of Glasgow Montana
Wow ... would that be around Moose Jaw? ...but I am impress that Glasgow has an international airport...

Hey when you get that far up there .. .what's a few hundred miles amongst friends.
I'll put it on my list of places to see... however, .. .may be a bit low on the list... :LOL:

mcf,

The further north you go the better ( at least during the summer). In my world, at the end of Jume we have 18=19 hours of daylight. Even people from the American midwest (Chicago) are surprised by it. I'm going seriously north then, never seen the midnight sun. Will tell all about it.

Thanks Kumquat, I will look for your travelogs... I am worried that going that far north will give me nosebleeds :LOL: :LOL: ... and then the blood freezes on the way out ... ;)
It sounds like a great adventure though...
Seems that we are polar opposites ... I'm that guy from the big city ... and see all my wildlife at the zoo or on the Discovery Channel :D

kumquat said:
About 200 miles due north of Glasgow Montana
The DW has family in Glasgow, MT. Sure gets cold.

Saw the I AM CANADIAN ad. A chesterfield is a couch.

the knight in shining armor thing is not very prevalent in the non-profit female dominated workforce...a lot of intelligent, driven, committed womenfolk in these parts.

on the oil changing note - in my college years, had my mom's old honda w/ over 200k miles on it, had a tire that kept going flat - would get nail pulled and plugged, then blamo - flat again. so i got used to changing tires. one nite, after hitting the clubs, got a flat - pulled into a well lit gas station that was still quite busy for the hour (past midnite) and started changing my tire. got lots of offers for help from well meaning, maybe creapy fellas, which i declined. but they all hung around to watch me do it by myself. not sure if it was the tight pants and high heels, or just watching a young woman change the tire, but they all seemed to enjoy themselves!!! :eek:

I'd pay to see that video !

A young woman in tight pants and high heels changing a tire. What's not to like !

Spineless is spineless - tends to be more prevalent among females. I don't want to work for one of them (spineless) Been there - done that. My leadership style is not the soft, touchy feely, sensitive style. I had a group of men working for me that I threatened to throttle (yep - in the USN) if I found out they missed a child's dance recital, etc. Their families are more important than our recruiting mission at the time. We also used to bring each other small souvenirs from our personal travels - strictly voluntary - but it became a "family" thing.

Having female subordinates is more complicated. I apparently am supposed to treat them differently - or empathize with them because they are the weaker gender! I still have no idea what to say to the girly girls - they always get their feelings hurt! (and I am not a butchy looking chick by any stretch) My father made me change a tire and the oil before any thought of getting behind the wheel of a car as a young teen.

And Nords, anything (this too) can be used as a hammer! LOL

Masterblaster said:
I'd pay to see that video !

A young woman in tight pants and high heels changing a tire. What's not to like !

thank goodness it was before the days of cell phone video - it'd be up on youtube for sure! :D

Back
Top Bottom