Join Early Retirement Today

Re: comments from coworkers in my last two weeks
Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Am I the only woman who feels it is just sad, sad, sad that other women hate the idea of working for a woman? Gee...and we wonder why we don't get further ahead in business...DUH! Let's just screw ourselves, shall we? Obviously, we don't have to wait for the men to do it to us as we can do this one all by our little 'ole woman-hating selves.
All I can say is that I hope women who hate working for other women bosses find themselves working for one of those really insecure, backstabbing men sometime. Maybe that is what it will take for you to open your eyes.
(And I am getting off this subject because this is really irritating me alot to hear women put other women as bosses down, so I'm thru. I've had my say.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Good grief! Who are you and what have you done with Nords ?!?!
One SECNAV, in a talk to Pearl Harbor's submariners, called us the last bastion of white males and implied that our institution was going the way of the dinosaurs. Since we were overlooking at least half the eligible genders & races, it was an apt comparison. The submarine force claims to make an effort to recruit minorities but you can't tell by looking at the wardroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Just a curiosity question on this statement... because I see similar statements about other things... but then will ask... what was the percent of the 'applying class' were women... I don't know if this info is even available as I believe they are nominated by their representative (or senator??)...
I don't know, but that's a great question and I'll ask the head of the admissions committee. Of course when we were midshipmen we called each other by different names (that we earned by our behavior on liberty) but 25 years later she's running the show...

I don't know much about the applicants. I think the stats focus on the admitted mids, and maybe the nominated ones, but not necessarily on all the applicants. Here's a typical class profile: http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/classprofile.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Way back in '76 I was in NJROTC... we had one of the largest groups around.. like 300.. we had about 260 men and 40 women.. for a 13% level... I would not expect more than 13% would be at the next level...
But, since college is over 50% women.. it does seem like 20% is low...
Sure, like I said women are generally smarter than men and don't feel obligated to go to service academies!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
One SECNAV, in a talk to Pearl Harbor's submariners, called us the last bastion of white males and implied that our institution was going the way of the dinosaurs.
Off topic, but are you old enough to have been interviewed by Adm Rickover, and if so do you have any anectdotes?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower
Am I the only woman who feels it is just sad, sad, sad that other women hate the idea of working for a woman? Gee...and we wonder why we don't get further ahead in business...
You aren't alone. This comment and other comments on this thread have bothered me, particularly since I have recently made the switch from engineering to management. I'm just not sure what to say in the face of these kinds of comments because I personally have had both good and bad bosses and they have been both male and female.

Being a woman in engineering I am used to being in the minority, starting in college and continuing in the work force. But here it is more than 20 years later and I am sitting in the managers' staff meeting.... there are 15 people present and I am the only woman at the table. In all my years of engineering I've never been the *only* woman on such a large team before . . . . and it does feel a bit odd.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney
Being a woman in engineering I am used to being in the minority, starting in college and continuing in the work force. But here it is more than 20 years later and I am sitting in the managers' staff meeting.... there are 15 people present and I am the only woman at the table. In all my years of engineering I've never been the *only* woman on such a large team before . . . . and it does feel a bit odd.
My wife is an x-ray engineer and I hear the same thing from her. There is another female x-ray engineer here in Phoenix but a lot of people just assume that they are the same person.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #46

Okay, okay, okay, ladies, sorry I made such sweeping generalities based on my own (albeit limited) experience. Sorry to have offended so many!

Here's the thing: I've had two female bosses and both were psychotic madwomen. I've had absolutely wonderful male bosses, including the one I have now and the last one at the sailing company. So, in an effort to learn from my past, I say, honestly, that I would not seek out a job working for a woman.

Having been a woman-manager in most of my prior jobs, I think it is fair to say that I deal with people in a "non-warm-and-fuzzy way". The guys I had working for me seemed to appreciate it, and the women didn't. I am in all honesty one of those women that other women wouldn't want to work for, but mostly because I don't have much empathy or interest in work-mates lives. I have had a few memorable job experiences that required more empathy (like Habitat for Humanity), and I really wasn't very good at it.

So, again, sorry to you fine lady-bosses out there, I wish I could be a better one myself. I have done my part to help other women get business experience and mentored where I could, but it was more in helping with presentation, writing letters of commendation and giving credit and exposure to good people and good ideas. But hats off to those of you who are doing the hard work of making it possible for the rest of us to just do the job!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire
Off topic, but are you old enough to have been interviewed by Adm Rickover, and if so do you have any anectdotes?
Yes and yes!

I'll put the rest of the story in a separate thread.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...9566#msg259566

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley
Oh - and the worst thing!!! --- I also have to buy everyone presents for every holiday ...easter, birthdays, anniversaries, etc! Maybe I'm just cheap (I think buying a small christmas present and then taking them out to lunch for their bday is acceptable by the way) but I AM trying to be FI and LBYMs but since I'm the boss, I'm obligated to reciprocate with presents for everything else!!!!!!!! The managers for example, give their staff or co-workers presents for the holidays and so of course, since I am the 'big boss', I feel obligated (because they ask me what I plan to give!) to do the same thing....unfortunately, they only have to do it for their direct reports or peers, but they expect me to do it for everyone! They also spend at least $25 - $50 so I feel cheap when I don't match the expense.
Hi, bearkeley! My sympathies are with you. The gift-giving seems excessive in your company. There are so many holidays and personal events to celebrate! I am wondering if as big boss and being in HR, you couldn't devise a way to combining celebrations into fewer events/occasions and seeking agreement on no gifts, less gifts, or no newly-purchased gifts?

At one company where I used to work, there was just one birthday event for the month. People would bring in cake or treats to celebrate everyone's birthday that fell during the month.

For holidays, maybe have a potluck and instead of giving gifts to each other, donate what would be spent to a company-sponsored charity? Or have a "Kris Kringle" drawing type of gift-giving? Or a "white-elephant" event where people give funny gifts but not one purchased--something they want to get rid of?

Then, for baby or bridal showers, why not just have one group gift where envelopes are passed around so people are free to contribute or not? Then sign a card that says "from everybody"?

I understand though that it is hard to turn organizational culture and informal expectations. But gift-giving is a pain when it is not voluntary; it's more a tax or a trade. Maybe you are in an organization/industry that pays highly, which is different from the places that I've worked at, from where my suggestions come.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a guy and run a 15 person department, 2 women and 13 men. Been in this job since 1992. It is without doubt the best job I've ever had and the people are wonderful. People retire here, but they rarely quit.

Anyway, when I first took the job it was apparent that there had been some gift giving requirements in the past. I ended it then. No birthday gifts, no Christmas gifts, no boss's days, no secretary's days. None of it, period. Life became a whole lot simpler. We are a big "family", but home is home and work is work.

We put a dollar per payday into a flowers and bereavment kitty. We announce birthdays over the intercom to tease each other. We have a pot luck "Big Lunch" about four times a year to give thanks for our health and continued emloyment.

My wife works in another part of the "greater" organization and it is a gift-giving, gossip mongering, contrived holiday celebrating nightmare. I'd mention that it's 90% female but, again, that would be insensitive.... so I won't.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #50

Yes - I am many times the only woman in a room full of men - that could be in my capacity as an engineer or as a military officer - was even more pronounced whenI was traveling overseas for the miltary representing our military.....I've gotten used to it - what I've tried to do is make sure that all the blocks are filled, i.e. I have professional certification in my field, I've had many different jobs with different types of engineering experience, I've got the educational background, yada, yada - this helps whenI get asked "Are you a nurse they hired to be a clinical engineer?" - uh, no, and then I go over the credentials and experience - doesn't happen too often now, but hey, I can't help what other people think or their initial impressions based on their past experiences - I can only set a different example for them to add to their experience 'bucket.'

Back on topic - pretty funny the comments you had upon the announcement of your retirement - isn't it interesting that most people are only thinking of themselves and project that on everyone around them :-) Good on ya - congratulations - I hope to be where you are very soon - Deserat
Old 05-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Uh - haven't gotten to read this whole thread. Actually only got thru page 1, but need to go back to the women needing to learn how to swing a hammer and change oil commnet.....

Now wait a second - exactly how many men can actually do those things?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia
Uh - haven't gotten to read this whole thread. Actually only got thru page 1, but need to go back to the women needing to learn how to swing a hammer and change oil commnet.....
Now wait a second - exactly how many men can actually do those things?
Any gearhead can change the oil with a wrench, but it takes a real man to change the oil with a hammer!

I'm afraid, however, that now I'll have to do the next oil change with an EasyOut...

Old 05-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Hehe

That gave me a little chuckle
Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #54

I read the original post and the last several. Seems like there is little to connect them. I'll disconnect too. I have 2 weeks left, my coworkers cooments tend to be 'I exercised my options and sold the stock when the gain was 50%, how did you know they would be worth 400%?"

What I didn't tell them is that I followed a similar stategy (DCA out), but when I cashed in I didn't buy a trip/boat/house/cabin/car/other-consumable but I bought boring dividend stocks and ETF's.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #55

Kumquat, you are right... somehow this thread got hijacked to focus on working for women bosses ... while this is interesting in an academic sense ... who cares.

My coworkers comments, since I have announced my retirement coming up in July:
- YOUR KIDDING
- how can you do that ? ( sub titled: I have 38 years in and can't afford to do it)
- what are you going to do all day? from the workaholic
- you don't look old enough to retire new found lack of stress from imminent FIRE
- how can you do that? from the guy with the vacation home, the newest toys that come out every month ...etc.
- will you come back to work as a contractor? NO
- why don't you take a leave of absence and reconsider this NO :P
- how can you do that? from the guy who said, I don't have to do a 401K.. I have plently of time...
- will you keep in touch ? Sure ...
- you'll be sorry .. SS is going to go bust ... Don't think so .. and quite frankly not counting on it
- have you considered the cost of health insurance? YES
- how can you do that ? from the guy who thinks life begins and ends with the Megacorp....

I'm loving this ... almost as much as FIREing (but not quite). Life is good
Old 05-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #56

megacorp-firee,

I like your comments but a lot of them don't apply to me. Like the Molsons commercial (that you may or may not have seen) I AM CANADIAN.

I don't have to worry about HC insurance.
I get a bit of Cdn SS (CPP), maybe 5K/yr
I look younger than my years ( just me, not part of being Cdn).
Reconsider what, you got a buyout coming?

Follow me, drink the koolaid, I'm never wrong! In a serious vein, I appreciate your comments and I hope your ER is as good as I think mine will be. If you decide to come north for a vacation, PM me.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
megacorp-firee,

I like your comments but a lot of them don't apply to me. Like the Molsons commercial (that you may or may not have seen) I AM CANADIAN.

I don't have to worry about HC insurance.
I get a bit of Cdn SS (CPP), maybe 5K/yr
I look younger than my years ( just me, not part of being Cdn).
Reconsider what, you got a buyout coming?

Follow me, drink the koolaid, I'm never wrong! In a serious vein, I appreciate your comments and I hope your ER is as good as I think mine will be. If you decide to come north for a vacation, PM me.
no worries Kumquat... I am done agonizing ... koolaid glass is dry... turned my papers in.
I'm right behind you ... 41 days and a wake up...
It will have to be a summer vacation ... hate those cold winters ...where ya at in Canada?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee
...where ya at in Canada?
About 200 miles due north of Glasgow Montana
Old 05-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
About 200 miles due north of Glasgow Montana
Wow ... would that be around Moose Jaw? ...but I am impress that Glasgow has an international airport...
Old 05-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #60

Check again (or I should), I'm rural Saskatoon, about 100 miles mostly north pf MJ