Computer cables

Independent

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the "Money" forum, but ---

I recently bought a new computer. The computer has HDMI output that I want to connect to a monitor and a TV that have DVI input.

So the computer store has a 6 ft HDMI to DVI cable for $40.00.
OTOH, Tartan Cable online has a 2 ft HDMI to DVI cable for $2.80. That's exactly the sales tax on the in store cable.
HDMI to DVI Cables at Tartan Cable (Tartan's 6 ft, heavier gauge cable is $10.00.)

I assume that cables are a big markup items for stores because they are after-thoughts. But this is amazing.

Does anyone have any experience with Tartan Cable?

I assume that cables are a big markup items for stores because they are after-thoughts. But this is amazing.
That is a good assumption. I was really dismayed at the ludicrous prices of Monster cables a few years ago at Radio Shack. I just stopped buying there --- I hate getting ripped off. The favorite source of good cables at reasonable prices of most discussants at avsforum.com is monoprice.com. I've bought many cables there. I haven't bought HDMI-DVI cables, but I see that Monoprice has a variety of them, starting at $2.38. I'm not familiar with Tartan.

I have found good prices for cables at Monoprice.com

I use 6, six foot HDMI cables, price about $3.00 and one 15 foot price about $10 (I think, it was the cheapest I could find on Amazon) I have used these for about two years, no problem. I also use a 5 port auto switch I bought on Amazon for about $25. All work fine.

Thanks !

It took an hour and a half to get 6 replies, with 4 votes for monoprice.com

They've got a 3ft cable for 2.38 + 2.73 for shipping. Can't beat that.

When I first started my computer consulting business about 1980 I used to make custom computer cables. This is before the PC and all of the standards and shrink wrap products.

I think that I charged about $80/cable with probably less than $10 costs. I would sit by my pool on the weekend and assemble them each in less than an hour.

It was easier work and more profitable than the programming/consulting work at the time.

Online is a much better deal. While you are at it get a longer cable they are nice.

Another vote for Monoprice. But I did have problems with a 15-ft DVI-HDMI cable. The signal degraded and I couldn't get any kind of picture. I replaced it with another 15-ft cable and had the same problem. I guess I was getting a weak-ish signal from my video card. Not a Monoprice problem. 10-ft Monoprice cable works fine.

Back
Top Bottom