Netflix stopped working

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just cancelled Netflix after being a member since 2012.

About 2 months ago they stopped letting you use a HDMI cable to your tv from your computer, which was how I liked to watch shows.

I switched over to casting to our TV (a LCD tv but without built in smarts) to a chromecast dongle plugged into it, but now that has stopped working (still casts the laptop screen but videos on netflix will no longer play...other sites still work, amazon, etc.).

Bye Netflix, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I use a 42" Samsung TV for my computer monitor and I just played Netflix through my Chrome browser? Maybe I'm not understanding?

I can't find anything online about Netflix blocking any of this - are you sure you're not just experiencing some other technical difficulties? Cable incompatibility? Firmware updates? I always just watch it using the SmartTV apps, but theoretically it should still do what you are trying, I think...

Netflix is changing their sign in. If you are sharing login with another IP address, you might be the one who loses service. They are moving to matching up IP address with a password.

If you are not sharing Netflix, then this would not seem to be your issue.

Netflix is changing their sign in. If you are sharing login with another IP address, you might be the one who loses service. They are moving to matching up IP address with a password.

If you are not sharing Netflix, then this would not seem to be your issue.

It’s not that simple. You don’t get a unique internet facing IP address. Those are dynamically allocated and can change at anytime.

I’m sure that Netflix’s sharing login algorithm will be a bit more sophisticated.

Going back to OPs point, this has annoyed me with other streaming service. I’ll download or stream content from an iPad wanting to output over HDMI to a TV. I mainly do this when traveling and most streaming apps block it.

I think they do this for content protection. Once it goes out over HDMI, it wouldn’t be hard to make a perfect copy. But as an end user who just wants to watch, it’s annoying.

Maybe I don't understand, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
Wouldn't just buying a $25 Roku stick or Fire stick have solved the problem?
I have an old 50" plasma TV with no smarts in my bonus room and plug a Roku Express into the HDMI port and I've done the same using a Firestick on my 37" Sanyo also with no smarts and both stream perfectly

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express

This really has me curious. I need to get out my laptop and try it. I’ve also used an HDMI cable when we travel to play from my computer but haven’t done it lately. I’ll have to remember to test it out tomorrow.

I still put the Netflix mailed disk in the player. The only way to get access to the full movie collection

Maybe I don't understand, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
Wouldn't just buying a $25 Roku stick or Fire stick have solved the problem?
I have an old 50" plasma TV with no smarts in my bonus room and plug a Roku Express into the HDMI port and I've done the same using a Firestick on my 37" Sanyo also with no smarts and both stream perfectly

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express

+1

We use a Fire stick plugged into our plasma tv (even though I think it has some smarts) and Netflix works fine.

The new Fire stick works better than our old blue ray player for streaming via apps (the blue ray player could not update).

I've done HDMI in the past, and casting to a Chromecast as I speak. No problems.

Note, with the laptop, there was no Cast option directly in the Netflix window (there is on the 'app' on my tablet/phone), but on my laptop with my Chromium browser (on Linux, BTW), there is a 'cast' option under the browser pull down

I suspect the problem is on your end.

-ERD50

Netflix authorizes devices. I imagine the laptop is first authorized device, then something occurs in the Smart TV other than what you'd expect. Maybe HDCP?

For starters, https://helpfixthat.com/netflix-wont-play-on-hdmi/

"Could be several things" is the best answer.

We're currently in Mexico and have watched a couple movies on Netflix sent to the TV from my laptop with an HDMI cable and had no issues.

How can it be a problem with my cables if I can HDMI out from Amazon streaming and also Discovery+?

For those who still are able to do this, I suspect your computer has not installed the newest windows updates.

I am pretty convinced they have done this for content protection, as tulak mentioned.

Well, it worked! They have protected me from spending any money on their content.

How can it be a problem with my cables if I can HDMI out from Amazon streaming and also Discovery+?

For those who still are able to do this, I suspect your computer has not installed the newest windows updates.

I am pretty convinced they have done this for content protection, as tulak mentioned.

Well, it worked! They have protected me from spending any money on their content.

Are you currently in the USA ?

Are you currently in the USA ?

Yes. We are also not sharing the account info with anyone either, so shouldn't be that issue.

If the other media players had stopped working I would think it was a hardware issue, but since I can stream the same way I always have from those sites, I suspect strongly that Netflix has implemented more security type features now available in windows browsers that Amazon and others have not (yet).

I am sure a smart TV would fix this, and they are pretty cheap, but it seems stupid to landfill this 40 inch perfectly fine lcd tv just because some other people were stealing memberships.

I guess I am just getting old (turning 53 this year). Grumble grumble, get off my lawn, why is my 7 year old TV not good enough anymore...

Seriously you don't need to get rid of your TV, just buy a cheap Roku or Firestick and plug it into your TV's HDMI port. Far less hassle in my opinion and takes less than 5 minutes to setup and you're up and riunning.
Also there is so many FREE channels you can acces with the Roku device, youre not restricted to Netflix. Pluto TV alone has at least a hundred channels you can stream for free. You just download all the apps to your Roku device.
Check this video out to see how easy but you can get away with the cheaper Roku Express model, they work just fine.

Ok thanks, I ordered the Roku express, will try that out.

For an older TV with HDMI inputs, a streaming device makes sense. We're in the process of cutting the cord, and while our two Samsung TVs are capable of adding apps for some streaming services, at 8+ years-old each, there are limits are to what can be added. There are even some streaming services won't work on a Samsung TV that old. But it's hard to toss these TVs, which still have very nice picture quality even at 1080p.

Just playing around with Roku and Pluto TV, the picture quality appears to be better than what we are currently getting with our AT&T U-verse TV service. Heck, we've been getting digital breakup on several channels in recent weeks with U-verse.

Back
Top Bottom