Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The US Gallon, I always translate liters to USG when posting on US forums (milk comes in 2l bottles, which is why I said 0.53 US gallons above).

We drove from Houston to Canada (Vancouver) where we spent 3 months in various locations and it was much bigger difference than 3% in mpg otherwise I wouldn't have noticed - the car (a Golf) shows the mpg in USG which resets every time I fill up. At first I thought it was the type of driving so was sure to pay attention on the way back, after a month in the Canadian Rockies we drove to Glacier NP, where we filled up again and then spent another 2 weeks driving in Glacier and then Yellowstone NP before heading back down to Texas.
Heh, heh, going even further afield from the original topic...

Based on this article: Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Fuel Basics

The "energy content" of ethanol is 30% lower than most gasoline. If a blend of 10% ethanol is used, that would suggest about 3% lower energy than pure gasoline. However, there may well be other factors which contribute to lower fuel mileage than just the energy content. I could only speculate on what those differences might be, but why not speculate?

1. The actual energy produced in a typical ICE "should" be proportional to the "energy" or "heat content" of the fuel. However, who is to say that the proportionality is the same for both fuels - especially in a mix. It all depends upon how the ICE "reacts" to the mixture. Reaction of the typical ICE to the introduction of ethanol is my pick for the biggest factor in why the "theoretical" 3% difference is not achieved by many folks (me included.)

2. What does 10% ethanol mean? I looked in several articles and could not find the answer. Does anyone here know if 10% is by weight or volume and whether the loss of volume by mixing the two liquids together is factored into the final mixture equation? There could be quite a difference in actual % of the two heat-content fuel mixtures if the method of determining % is not known. I think the answer to these questions are "knowable" but I could not find them so far.

3. Water content of ethanol used in 10% mixture: Typical ethanol contains at least some water (if it doesn't when it is produced, it most likely will by the time it gets to the consumer due to absorption from the air.) Typical production of ethanol starts with a 95% ethanol/5% water azeotrope. Removal of water by absorption or co-solvents with further distillation can reduce water content to as low as one is willing to pay for. My gut tells me, most producers are not too concerned about a 1 or 2 % water content getting to the "mixer's" door step. I could be wrong. I was once.

4. Denaturant of the ethanol. Apparently (according to the article) a denaturant must be used in the alcohol destined for ethanol/gasoline blends. The denaturant is not specified, but could well have a very low heat content value OR might otherwise contribute to the ICE not turning the full heat content into usable heat in the ICE - see 1. above.

I know this is all WAY more than most want to know about the subject (and obviously) I am no expert. But the fact that mixing 10% ethanol into gasoline does not typically lead to the loss of ONLY 3% mileage does not surprise me. YMMV

Returning you now to the regularly scheduled topic

Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #62
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Recall being in Prague and searching, unsuccessfully, for white vinegar.
You can easily get white vinegar for french fries in Canada, as it's common to have salt & vinegar on your french fries. Often there are packets of white vinegar like packets of ketchup at the burger joints.

In the US, my experience has been if you ask for vinegar they bring malt vinegar, and one time at a restaurant they brought a cup (yes a real cup) of vinegar for me

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #63
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Agreed, but a small price to pay for decent Non-Profit health care (That is Really Affordable, NOT in name only) don't you think?
Yes, it is a good system.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote