Cost of RV vs hotels and B&Bs

Recent 42 day trip experiences

We bought a 28ft Travel trailer in 2007 and have spent about 80 days camping in it so far. I did not ESR till 2008 so our ability to travel has only just begun. We have two kids so our trips are planned around school. The rest of the time it is parked at the Lake house and used as a Red-neck extra bedroom (I do live in Tennessee) and that has actually worked out well for visitors. That said an RV even when used this way is probably not a true savings but can maybe be break even.

We did just get back from a 42 day trip out West pulling the trailer and it was a great trip. 8300 miles (Not all miles were pulling the trailer since we made day trips to many attractions) , 22 national parks and monuments, many State Parks and towns we wanted to see. The freedom to stay longer and wherever we wanted was really great and the kids loved it. I did share in the cooking and cleaning as did the whole family. It ws a great family trip and a good teaching opportunity for the kids.

Total cost of that trip including fuel, campsites, food, entertainment, and park fees with the annual card purchase was about $3500 and I do not think we could have done that for the same price in a car and motels for four. Good Sam rated sites all above 7.5 in each area averaged about $30 per night for full hookups. Campgrounds out West are very plentiful and there are also many opportunities to boon-dock.

With kids it is a great way to travel and for longer trips it makes them easier and more enjoyable for the way we like to travel. The key is what do you like to do and that will help make the decision. RVing is definitely not camping as Rich said it is really a Condo on wheels. It makes the travel days very nice since you just find a rest area and pull over. With a generator and your on board water you have power, bathroom, and the ability to prepare a good healthy lunch from the frig or freezer. We had many enjoyable stops this way.

Renting may be a good way to test the waters or better go with someone thats has an RV or borrow it if possible. The info the can provide you will make the experience much more enjoyable.

If cheap travel is the goal here and this is a one time trip than sleep cheaps and a cooler may be a good option. If you think you may do this again... I would consider a light weight travel trailer (not a motorhome). I have one that weighs 2400 lbs and is 20 feet long. While I have to tow it, it doesn't really impact fuel milage much and affords me immense freedom. One of my pet peeves is having to wait for a 3 PM check-in when I need to sleep NOW!
Good advice.

Seems to me a trailer and motorhome serve different purposes, despite overlap. The former is great for occasional trips, days to a week or 10 days typically (at least that's how we used ours, as did most of our trailer friends).

OTOH, if you hope to hunker down for longer than that, the MH has more creature comforts, storage, and space, at greater cost.

Yuu can use either one for any trip (esp if you are solo), but it seems to me that's where the sweet spots are.

If you aren't trading in any vehicles, then the $20,000 RV purchase has to be overcome in addition to any savings you might get by boondocking, etc. The break-even might never be reached.

I am sure this has already been discussed, but I am trying to make a decision. I am looking at purchasing a used RV, maybe a class B, around $20K. My DW and I would like to do some traveling around the U.S. One thing we have talked about is driving RT 50 across the country. I am trying to figure out which makes more financial cents. If we get an RV, how much do they charge per night to stay in a camp ground, an average? Would it be just as good to stay at a Days Inn or Motel 6 for one night stays and at a B&B for the longer stays? I am sure someone has done both and has an opinion. Give me some feed back to help with my decision. Thanks

I used to think negatively of RV'ing. But now, as I have ER'ed, I am intrigued by the different styles of travel this presents. Note the plural sense styles.

Temperature in Phoenix will hit 114 today. I am finishing up some work, then heading up to my high country retreat to continue contemplating this RV question, in addition to other things. REW, why aren't you filling up your class A and headed to Canada?

We just returned from a trip to the PacNW and couldn't take the MH due to time constraints. DW remarked on more than one occasion, "If we were in the MH I could buy that!" No way to get all those 'road bargains' in your checked or carry-on bags. :)

Find a post office -- ship it home. Go buy more stuff!

-- Rita

Temperature in Phoenix will hit 114 today. I am finishing up some work, then heading up to my high country retreat to continue contemplating this RV question, in addition to other things. REW, why aren't you filling up your class A and headed to Canada?
If we decide to remain in Texas, we may take up this lifestyle when I retire. That or arrange for a regular summer housing rental somewhere cooler.

I like living here most of the time (oh yeah, REW -- the chiggers, the fire ants, the scorpions...), but there's no way I can stay here for life unless I can flee the summers for many weeks at a time.

I used to think negatively of RV'ing. But now, as I have ER'ed, I am intrigued by the different styles of travel this presents. Note the plural sense styles.

Temperature in Phoenix will hit 114 today. I am finishing up some work, then heading up to my high country retreat to continue contemplating this RV question...
Yes, the "rolling condo" option was appealing to us. You can return to the same locale or change it visit by visit.

One of the administrators here asked about my vacation, and I told her where we went without mentioning the motor home. She said that for her the perfect retirement would be a home here in Tampa, plus a second home in the Smokies, but she wasn't eager to maintain two homes, might feel obliged to use it all the time if she owned it but wanted to branch out, etc. etc. I then told her what we were doing and underwent several minutes of, "Really? Hmmm..."

In the end, it's just another leisure option. Works for us, not for everyone.

The non-migratory point of view

Those who are able to enjoy each of four moderate but distinct seasons every year could find that to be a huge advantage in retirement. Think of how much money can be saved as a consequence, as well as the variety of leisure time activities/experiences associated with each season.

I still contend that retirees can pay to have someone mow in the blistering heat of summer, and shovel snow on grey, cold wintery days.

For those who can enjoy four moderate seasons and choose to live in a part of the country with a moderate climate, there is no need for two homes, extensive travel, or a big RV to maintain. At home one can enjoy swimming and boating to keep cool in the summer, and cuddling up in a blanket by a warm fireplace or taking up cooking and baking to keep warm in the winter.

I know, I know, different strokes for different folks - - - but for me, home sweet home is where I want to be.

Will I feel differently about this later on in life? Who knows, and if I do then you can say, "Told you so!" :D

Last edited:
I still contend that retirees can pay to have someone mow in the blistering heat of summer, and shovel snow on grey, cold wintery days.
Sure, but they may not want to feel like Mother Nature is keeping them under house arrest until the brutal cold/hot season is over. Some people like being outdoors, and it can feel like a prison sentence when the weather doesn't allow it for months at a time. And there are a lot of people out here who are going stir crazy and exhibiting signs of cabin fever until it cools off...

Sure, but they may not want to feel like Mother Nature is keeping them under house arrest until the brutal cold/hot season is over. Some people like being outdoors, and it can feel like a prison sentence when the weather doesn't allow it for months at a time. And there are a lot of people out here who are going stir crazy and exhibiting signs of cabin fever until it cools off...

Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy - - I keep telling you that you need to put in a pool in the back yard! :)

So, how was your trip (asks I, pulling the thread off topic)?
I have two big complaints: it was too short and we weren't in the MH. Otherwise it was absolutely wonderful.

I'd love to be able to spend a couple of months in your neck of the woods each summer - although I'd probably suffer the consequences of overindulgence in fresh off the bush/vine/tree blueberries/blackberries/cherries. Also, I'm beginning to suspect someone is spreading the word it always rains in the PacNW to discourage excessive in-migration. We didn't see a drop in the 8 days we were there.

Here is a photo I took that I'm now using for my screen saver. I keep looking at it hoping it will make me feel a few degrees cooler...

img_839474_0_edf781d7bc82b38dd667f0d5cf089507.jpg

Two words: "attractive nuisance." :)

Two more words: "secure fencing."

It's bad enough that I get warm water when I want to take a cold shower...

I remember going to the city pool in College Station in the summertime and really enjoying it (other than all the other peoples' kids who were absolute monsters, so I would go during the "lap swimming only" hours).

Imagine a covered area right by your pool, with outdoor ceiling fans and pool furniture. There you are, in the shade, soaking wet under the fans with a cold drink from the nearby wet bar. Ah, what a great life!

... Also, I'm beginning to suspect someone is spreading the word it always rains in the PacNW to discourage excessive in-migration. We didn't see a drop in the 8 days we were there....

It doesn't always rain - sometimes we have blazing hot temps, locusts, herds of wild pillaging vermin, floods, avalanches and plague borne by prairie dogs. We like to mix it up here in the PNW and will go a long way to avoid boredom including throwing spam festivals. Are you sure you don't want to go somewhere safer on holiday?

... in addition to other things. REW, why aren't you filling up your class A and headed to Canada?
I would dearly love to do so but reality has taken priority over wishes. My FIL suffered a stroke a few months ago and is in a nearby nursing home. We don't feel comfortable leaving him for any extended length of time.

I suggested that. She's of the opinion it loses too many style points in execution. :)

So, throwing a trinket in the trunk (or the back of an RV) gets more style points then packaging it up and shipping it home?

As they say YMMV.

-- Rita

RV = camping? NOT!

I think RV's are great and may yet own one. But don't associate them with "camping." It's not really the same thing........

Anyway, for you guys with those big Class A RV's, how do you get them strapped to the pontoons of the float plane and how do you portage them between lakes? I can hardly get a 40# kevlar boat across a 400 rod portage these days, let alone a five ton RV! :LOL:

Attachments

• flyins.jpg
    flyins.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 202
  • pg03.jpg
    pg03.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 200
So, throwing a trinket in the trunk (or the back of an RV) gets more style points then packaging it up and shipping it home?
But of course! Immediate gratification rules.

If you stick it in the basement of the MH you can [-]take it out and play with it[/-] utilize it any time you like. If you ship it home it will could be a week or more before you can enjoy it.

Also, many of the objects of her desire were in the fresh fruit and vegetable family - perishable as opposed to shippable...

I think RV's are great and may yet own one. But don't associate them with "camping." It's not really the same thing...
No it sure isn't - that's why I enjoy RVing, not "camping" like I did when I went through military survival school...:cool:

Anyway, for you guys with those big Class A RV's, how do you get them strapped to the pontoons of the float plane and how do you portage them between lakes?

I work hard at driving around lakes or on bridges. But if that fails, pontoons kits are available:

img_839498_0_8300cb6bb14b88b8e5e25f231afdf243.jpg

...arrange for a regular summer housing rental somewhere cooler.

Same here for an Arizonan like myself. More fortunate than you, I only need to drive 2.5 hrs at a leisurely speed (I drive like a geezer) to get to my 2nd home :smitten: where I feel like the king of a hill.

Yes, the "rolling condo" option was appealing to us. You can return to the same locale or change it visit by visit.
In the end, it's just another leisure option. Works for us, not for everyone.

As I study RVs, I can see the advantages and drawbacks of each type of equipment. I am still leaning towards a 20-ft or under TT, towed by my SUV, as a compromise. It's low-cost enough to get me started. Of course, if money is no object, I can see myself pretty smug sitting up high in a class A with a toad behind me. The market is recovering enough that I even tempt myself with looking at ads for used class C RVs. Some look like excellent deals. Decision, decision...

I know, I know, different strokes for different folks - - - but for me, home sweet home is where I want to be.

For me, two are still not enough. I now want one that I can take with me for my travel, even if it is just a small travel trailer to cocoon at night. I have ruled out pop-up campers. Mine must have hardwall, so we can feel safe and protected from critters (remember T-Al and his elk or buffalo or whatever?). And there have been two recent incidences with mountain lions, for crying out loud.

Swimming in 90 degree water isn't all that refreshing...

I like warm water. It's just like a big hot tub that you can do strokes in. Still, we have not been in ours this year, despite the daily cleaning chore.

I would dearly love to do so but reality has taken priority over wishes. My FIL suffered a stroke a few months ago and is in a nearby nursing home. We don't feel comfortable leaving him for any extended length of time.

Yes, I forgot. My wife also has to take turns with her siblings to be near her 90-yr old father. I have a lot of time to study and to dream. But I can see myself NW-bound in an RV of some type, and am working on imparting that vision to my wife. And then, there's Yosemite, the Yellowstone, the drive down St Lawrence river that I talked about...

No it sure isn't - that's why I enjoy RVing, not "camping" like I did when I went through military survival school...:cool:

I have never been in service, but I know. My friends who have been in the Army say USAF guys are sissies. :)

My friends who have been in the Army say USAF guys are sissies. :)
Ahem! :cool: I prefer the term "civilized warriors"...

I'd challenge you to "enjoy" three weeks of USAF Aircrew Survival School. I have few regrets in life and one of them is making this statement on day one: "Heck, I grew up hunting, fishing and camping in the woods. How tough can this be?" :nonono:

I work hard at driving around lakes or on bridges. But if that fails, pontoons kits are available:

img_839570_0_8300cb6bb14b88b8e5e25f231afdf243.jpg

OMG! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

This pic cost me $100! After seeing it, I immediately wrote a check to the Friends of the BWCAW, a group that lobbies to keep our few non-motorized wilderness areas that way!

Back
Top Bottom