Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Sure, but they may not want to feel like Mother Nature is keeping them under house arrest until the brutal cold/hot season is over. Some people like being outdoors, and it can feel like a prison sentence when the weather doesn't allow it for months at a time. And there are a lot of people out here who are going stir crazy and exhibiting signs of cabin fever until it cools off...
Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy - - I keep telling you that you need to put in a pool in the back yard!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy - - I keep telling you that you need to put in a pool in the back yard!
Swimming in 90 degree water isn't all that refreshing...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #63

Quote:
Two words: "attractive nuisance."
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That too. It's bad enough that I get warm water when I want to take a cold shower...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
So, how was your trip (asks I, pulling the thread off topic)?
I have two big complaints: it was too short and we weren't in the MH. Otherwise it was absolutely wonderful.

I'd love to be able to spend a couple of months in your neck of the woods each summer - although I'd probably suffer the consequences of overindulgence in fresh off the bush/vine/tree blueberries/blackberries/cherries. Also, I'm beginning to suspect someone is spreading the word it always rains in the PacNW to discourage excessive in-migration. We didn't see a drop in the 8 days we were there.

Here is a photo I took that I'm now using for my screen saver. I keep looking at it hoping it will make me feel a few degrees cooler...

Old 07-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Two words: "attractive nuisance."
Two more words: "secure fencing."

Quote:
It's bad enough that I get warm water when I want to take a cold shower...
I remember going to the city pool in College Station in the summertime and really enjoying it (other than all the other peoples' kids who were absolute monsters, so I would go during the "lap swimming only" hours).

Imagine a covered area right by your pool, with outdoor ceiling fans and pool furniture. There you are, in the shade, soaking wet under the fans with a cold drink from the nearby wet bar. Ah, what a great life!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Here is a photo I took that I'm now using for my screen saver. I keep looking at it hoping it will make me feel a few degrees cooler...
Beautiful photo!! Glad you had a good time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
... Also, I'm beginning to suspect someone is spreading the word it always rains in the PacNW to discourage excessive in-migration. We didn't see a drop in the 8 days we were there....
It doesn't always rain - sometimes we have blazing hot temps, locusts, herds of wild pillaging vermin, floods, avalanches and plague borne by prairie dogs. We like to mix it up here in the PNW and will go a long way to avoid boredom including throwing spam festivals. Are you sure you don't want to go somewhere safer on holiday?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... in addition to other things. REW, why aren't you filling up your class A and headed to Canada?
I would dearly love to do so but reality has taken priority over wishes. My FIL suffered a stroke a few months ago and is in a nearby nursing home. We don't feel comfortable leaving him for any extended length of time.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I suggested that. She's of the opinion it loses too many style points in execution.
So, throwing a trinket in the trunk (or the back of an RV) gets more style points then packaging it up and shipping it home?

As they say YMMV.

-- Rita
Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RV = camping? NOT!

I think RV's are great and may yet own one. But don't associate them with "camping." It's not really the same thing........

Anyway, for you guys with those big Class A RV's, how do you get them strapped to the pontoons of the float plane and how do you portage them between lakes? I can hardly get a 40# kevlar boat across a 400 rod portage these days, let alone a five ton RV!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flyins.jpg (9.1 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg pg03.jpg (25.1 KB, 199 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
So, throwing a trinket in the trunk (or the back of an RV) gets more style points then packaging it up and shipping it home?
But of course! Immediate gratification rules.

If you stick it in the basement of the MH you can take it out and play with it utilize it any time you like. If you ship it home it will could be a week or more before you can enjoy it.

Also, many of the objects of her desire were in the fresh fruit and vegetable family - perishable as opposed to shippable...

Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I think RV's are great and may yet own one. But don't associate them with "camping." It's not really the same thing...
No it sure isn't - that's why I enjoy RVing, not "camping" like I did when I went through military survival school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Anyway, for you guys with those big Class A RV's, how do you get them strapped to the pontoons of the float plane and how do you portage them between lakes?
I work hard at driving around lakes or on bridges. But if that fails, pontoons kits are available:

Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...arrange for a regular summer housing rental somewhere cooler.
Same here for an Arizonan like myself. More fortunate than you, I only need to drive 2.5 hrs at a leisurely speed (I drive like a geezer) to get to my 2nd home where I feel like the king of a hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yes, the "rolling condo" option was appealing to us. You can return to the same locale or change it visit by visit.
In the end, it's just another leisure option. Works for us, not for everyone.
As I study RVs, I can see the advantages and drawbacks of each type of equipment. I am still leaning towards a 20-ft or under TT, towed by my SUV, as a compromise. It's low-cost enough to get me started. Of course, if money is no object, I can see myself pretty smug sitting up high in a class A with a toad behind me. The market is recovering enough that I even tempt myself with looking at ads for used class C RVs. Some look like excellent deals. Decision, decision...

Quote:
I know, I know, different strokes for different folks - - - but for me, home sweet home is where I want to be.
For me, two are still not enough. I now want one that I can take with me for my travel, even if it is just a small travel trailer to cocoon at night. I have ruled out pop-up campers. Mine must have hardwall, so we can feel safe and protected from critters (remember T-Al and his elk or buffalo or whatever?). And there have been two recent incidences with mountain lions, for crying out loud.

Quote:
I like warm water. It's just like a big hot tub that you can do strokes in. Still, we have not been in ours this year, despite the daily cleaning chore.

Quote:
I would dearly love to do so but reality has taken priority over wishes. My FIL suffered a stroke a few months ago and is in a nearby nursing home. We don't feel comfortable leaving him for any extended length of time.
Yes, I forgot. My wife also has to take turns with her siblings to be near her 90-yr old father. I have a lot of time to study and to dream. But I can see myself NW-bound in an RV of some type, and am working on imparting that vision to my wife. And then, there's Yosemite, the Yellowstone, the drive down St Lawrence river that I talked about...

Quote:
No it sure isn't - that's why I enjoy RVing, not "camping" like I did when I went through military survival school...
I have never been in service, but I know. My friends who have been in the Army say USAF guys are sissies.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My friends who have been in the Army say USAF guys are sissies.
Ahem! I prefer the term "civilized warriors"...

I'd challenge you to "enjoy" three weeks of USAF Aircrew Survival School. I have few regrets in life and one of them is making this statement on day one: "Heck, I grew up hunting, fishing and camping in the woods. How tough can this be?"

Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I work hard at driving around lakes or on bridges. But if that fails, pontoons kits are available:

OMG!

This pic cost me $100! After seeing it, I immediately wrote a check to the Friends of the BWCAW, a group that lobbies to keep our few non-motorized wilderness areas that way!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNOVA View Post
I am sure this has already been discussed, but I am trying to make a decision. I am looking at purchasing a used RV, maybe a class B, around $20K. My DW and I would like to do some traveling around the U.S. One thing we have talked about is driving RT 50 across the country. I am trying to figure out which makes more financial cents. If we get an RV, how much do they charge per night to stay in a camp ground, an average? Would it be just as good to stay at a Days Inn or Motel 6 for one night stays and at a B&B for the longer stays? I am sure someone has done both and has an opinion. Give me some feed back to help with my decision. Thanks
Full time RVer here - just to give you my perspective.

It all comes down to how $$ that initial investment is. If you can find a cheap motorhome or trailer than doesn't require much expensive maintenance, then yes, the REST of the costs associated with RV travel tend to be MUCH cheaper than motel/eating-out-most meals. IMO it is also much more comfortable, relaxing, and flexible than dealing with using hotels etc, and MUCH more private which I see as a major plus. Having the time to do it is also important - long extended trips is where RVs really shine.

In general, campground fees are often $25 or less per night. You really only pay more per night if you are in a major tourist area or large city. People in RVs also tend to eat out less since they have their own kitchen, and save significant $$$ that way as well. With an RV you can also stay in some awesome quiet natural areas because many states have great state and national parks which do a great job of accommodating RVs. That's why we RV, we do extensive nature photography and RVing makes it super easy.

We became fulltime RVers because we had such a blast with 1.5 years of traveling in our Casita (a small trailer) that we decided to ditch the house and buy a motorhome for fulltime living and travel. It's been over 4 years now and we are still going strong. We never really know where we are going to go next, and we often don't make that decision until 1 or 2 days before leaving an area. It also makes it really easy to visit family, because we have our own place!

Our initial investment in the Casita - around $13K which is pretty expensive for a trailer but one of the best there is - we got back all but the sales tax when we sold it. What a deal! With all the state park camping which can be quite inexpensive, our travel costs were quite low. Made out like bandits!

Our current motorhome - a whole 'nother story. We paid a lot of money for something that would let us RV in comfort and style, since it was a new "dream home" for us. It really is a "rolling condo". And I doubt we will ever come out ahead of our investment in this rig, but that was never our goal, although not having a house to maintain/pay taxes on has dropped our annual expenses significantly. We had fallen in love with the RVing lifestyle and could afford to buy the rig, and that was all there was to it.

Personally, I think you can come out ahead fairly quickly if you are able to find a very inexpensive RV. But for us, saving money was never the point. It was all about the travel lifestyle which we still enjoy tremendously and wouldn't trade for any other mode of travel.

Audrey

P.S. Although there are definitely social orgs based around RVing, we have never really been into the social aspect - just not that important to us. Nevertheless it's real easy to chat with your RVer neighbors and have fun conversations about where people have been and funning stories about RVs. Sure beats the heck out of most conversations between strangers.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

It all comes down to how $$ that initial investment is. If you can find a cheap motorhome or trailer than doesn't require much expensive maintenance, then yes, the REST of the costs associated with RV travel tend to be MUCH cheaper than motel/eating-out-most meals. IMO it is also much more comfortable, relaxing, and flexible than dealing with using hotels etc, and MUCH more private which I see as a major plus. Having the time to do it is also important - long extended trips is where RVs really shine.

In general, campground fees are often $25 or less per night. You really only pay more per night if you are in a major tourist area or large city. People in RVs also tend to eat out less since they have their own kitchen, and save significant $$$ that way as well. With an RV you can also stay in some awesome quiet natural areas because many states have great state and national parks which do a great job of accommodating RVs. That's why we RV, we do extensive nature photography and RVing makes it super easy.

We became fulltime RVers because we had such a blast with 1.5 years of traveling in our Casita (a small trailer) that we decided to ditch the house and buy a motorhome for fulltime living and travel. It's been over 4 years now and we are still going strong. We never really know where we are going to go next, and we often don't make that decision until 1 or 2 days before leaving an area. It also makes it really easy to visit family, because we have our own place!

Our initial investment in the Casita - around $13K which is pretty expensive for a trailer but one of the best there is - we got back all but the sales tax when we sold it. What a deal! With all the state park camping which can be quite inexpensive, our travel costs were quite low. Made out like bandits!

Our current motorhome - a whole 'nother story. We paid a lot of money for something that would let us RV in comfort and style, since it was a new "dream home" for us. It really is a "rolling condo". And I doubt we will ever come out ahead of our investment in this rig, but that was never our goal, although not having a house to maintain/pay taxes on has dropped our annual expenses significantly. We had fallen in love with the RVing lifestyle and could afford to buy the rig, and that was all there was to it.

Personally, I think you can come out ahead fairly quickly if you are able to find a very inexpensive RV. But for us, saving money was never the point. It was all about the travel lifestyle which we still enjoy tremendously and wouldn't trade for any other mode of travel.

Audrey

P.S. Although there are definitely social orgs based around RVing, we have never really been into the social aspect - just not that important to us. Nevertheless it's real easy to chat with your RVer neighbors and have fun conversations about where people have been and funning stories about RVs. Sure beats the heck out of most conversations between strangers.
Good points from a "full-timer". We have owned a pickup camper, a travel trailer and a Class C motor home at different times. We usually did short term camping to local destinations. After ER, we plan to explore the desert Southwest in the winter and spend late summer on the Northwest Pacific coast. A Class A motor home with a "toad" (towed runabout vehicle) will likely be our choice. The RV can provide something that car/motel travel can't: a large degree of comfort enroute. We enjoy being able to stop during the travel day and fix a healthy meal, lay down for a nap, and use a bathroom that is always kept clean.

For folks who don't travel this extensively, a large RV would probably not be worthwhile.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

audreyh1 has the right idea about Rving if you want to Rv its a waste of money to buy an expensive camper use it for a couple of weeks per year then watch it deteriorate beside the house for the rest of the year,why not blow a couple of thousand and rent a rig for your vacation,.

Cant seem to turn off the bold font
Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Audrehy1 knows what she is talking about.

On my latest trip - since late April I've been in Carlsbad, NM; Moab, Ut; Buena Vista, Co.; Grand Teton parked in the park - Glacier, Mt and now back int Colorado. It is so much nicer, easier, and healthier to be in a RV.

As far as the cost hotel vs RV it is a forumula of initial RV cost vs hotel and the length of time you are traveling. I did a post of the analysis - search for it.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On the Today Show with Al Roker it was stated that you could SAVE as much as 61% by RVing. This was today or yesterday's show (I forget as my computer totally crashed, and all time has been suspended). That is quite different from what I heard from real life RVers. Anyone believe this? Anyone?