Dad

My dad will be 84 next week. Here is his story.

Dad was born in 1930 and grew up amidst the political turmoil of China prior to the communist revolution. My Grandpa, a county governor, was assassinated for political reasons when dad was only 13. My grandma sent dad away to a boarding school, where he became a good catholic and befriended a catholic missionary. This friendship proved to be pivotal in dad’s life, for in 1948 as the communists were about to take power, the missionary hastily made arrangements to help my dad flee China. Dad had to act immediately with no time to think it over or say goodbyes, so he wrote grandma a letter telling her what he was doing. Dad would never see his mother again.

Dad struggled mightily here in America. The missionary had made arrangements for Dad to attend Catholic University, but as a History major he was failing his classes because he could not understand the English language well enough, so he changed his major to physics, eventually earning his masters and a PhD. His first Christmas here he had no money and no place to go when school recessed for the holidays, so a kind hearted custodian left the door unlocked to the dorm so dad could sneak back in to have a place to sleep over the break. He spent that break cold (they shut the heat off during break), alone, and starving, hiding in the closed dorms.

The Catholic church offered him only a partial scholarship, so dad still had to come up with money for part of the tuition, room and board. He spent several summers working the fields of some catholic farms as a farm hand. He sold shoes. He sold encyclopedias door to door. He worked as a waiter. With no one to turn to for help, Dad did anything he had to do to survive. When he ate his meals at the house he was boarding at, dad always made sure he ate at the same time as the women boarders, just so he could eat their leftovers. To escape the sweltering heat and humidity of the DC summers, dad would buy a ticket to the early matinee at the movie theater and sleep all day in the air conditioned theater, leaving at sunset to then study through the night.

Dad was a survivor, and he fought and clawed his way out of his difficult situation to provide my family with a decent middle class American life. I am always appreciative of how blessed I am and I have never forgotten all that my dad went through to give me the life that I have, so I have made sure to seize and make the most of the opportunities I have been given here in the U.S.

If dad never made it out of China he would probably not have survived under the communist regime. As the eldest son of a prominent politician, dad would have been a marked man. If he did survive, our family would have been oppressed and not afforded the opportunities to educate or better ourselves. My cousins in China today? Two of them are doing ok- a nurse and a government worker. The rest? Tobacco farm laborers and truck drivers.

The successful life that I have I owe to God, and I owe to my dad. Dad struggled so that I would have a chance to live the American dream, and I have never forgotten it.

Wow, what an amazing story, novaman. You can be very proud of your Dad.

My dad will be 84 next week. Here is his story.

Great "Dad" story. I went through a lesser version of this, eating out of garbage can while putting myself through college in early 80s. These things still happen in 2014. It's happening with new immigrants (legal or otherwise). Many of them have heartfelt story to tell.

Tribute to my Dad

My Dad was born on February 29, 1924, a leap year baby. He always enjoyed his birth day, I remember his enjoyment when pointing out on his "21st birthday" that he was the same age as his 21 year old grand daughter. He also enjoyed it when his small town newspaper would put his picture in the paper with a small write up every 4 years.

Dad was the oldest of 11 children born to poor but hardworking parents. I am sure growing up during the Great Depression was very hard on his family. I remember Dad telling the story about how he had to walk along the railroad tracks to pick up any pieces of coal he could find to help heat the house in the winter. Dad had to work before and after school helping Granddad who worked in a foundry. He helped tend a very large vegetable garden in summers to feed the family and during season he and granddad would go fishing or hunting nearly every day to put food on the table. Dad related the story to me that Granddad was not the easiest to be around and a bit of a task master. Dad said that when out hunting if you were going to take a shot you better hit what you were aiming at because Granddad was likely to kick you in the butt if you wasted a shot. Needless to say Dad was a very good shot. Try as I might I could never shoot quite as well as Dad.

Even with all the work Dad had to do being the oldest child, he still did well in school. His teachers had him skip two grades so he graduated from high school at age 16. He looks like a kid in his high school senior picture. He was especially good in math. I still remember how at the grocery store Dad could add in his head the cost of the items as the cashier was entering then into the cash register and announce the total including tax before the cashier.

Dad never had the opportunity to get a college education there was no money for that and once out of high school and working a job he was helping to support the family. Very soon after graduation was the start of WWII and Dad was drafted into the Army.

Dad never talked much about the horrors of war which I know he had to endure. He told me one time that when he was wounded by a sniper, his sergeant who was also his best buddy tried to crawl out to bring him to safety. Sadly, he was shot and killed for his efforts and I am pretty sure this haunted my Dad the rest of his life. But Dad did his bit and then some. He was awarded with the Purple Heart and two Bronze Star medals. Dad always wanted to visit the WWII memorial in Washington D.C. but was not in very good health. I was very happy that I was able to accompany him as a volunteer to see the memorial a few years ago on a WWII Honors Tour. He was very moved by all the thanks and recognition he received from other visitors while he was there.

Shortly after the end of the war Granddad passed away so Dad returned to the responsibility of supporting his younger brothers and sisters. His younger siblings, several of them not yet in school still consider their older brother as their surrogate Dad. I think that all the responsibility forced upon him helped form his very independent nature.

Dad and Mom married on New Year's Eve 1947 and almost made it to their 62 anniversary. He raised two kids and provided us with everything we needed to become responsible adults. Dad was generous to charities and had a great love for his very large family. Dad worked 48 years for the same employer (including years in the service which counted for seniority in those days), and retired at age 65. Dad had about 20 good years of retirement until Mom passed. I truly think that Dad lived life just the way he wanted, I never recall him saying he regretted anything he ever did in his life. Dad suffered from cancer in his later years and it finally took him this past February. I thank God I was at Dad's side when he passed.

I miss my Dad every day and just writing this tribute brings tears to my eyes. I would give anything to see him again as he once was before the cancer got to him and tell him how much I love him.

Last edited:
My dad is 77. He is my hero as well, although he didn't fight in any wars or struggle as many of your dads did. But he (with mom) raised two kids on a middle class income and taught us to be strong and kind. He taught us to work hard, LBOM, and balance that with enjoying life. And I see him in myself every day.

When we were growing up, every Sunday my mother would buy the New York Times, and my dad and I would sit on his big arm chair and do the crossword puzzle "together". When I was very little, of course I didn't know most of the answers, but we had books to look things up, and I would have to track them down (this is long before we had a computer!). When I was older, I was allowed to do as much as I could before he would finish it with me watching. He was always able to finish (without looking things up) - and the NY Times puzzles are HARD! :)

To this day, I do crossword puzzles in the paper every day.

He also didn't really treat us like "girls". He had a woodshop in the basement, and we would help him build furniture or fix things. We even built two kayaks from a kit once. We had monster ping pong battles (he was a college champ). I didn't beat him until I was a junior in high school - man, we were good! :)

He has a very dry sense of humor, that my sister inherited more than me. He taught us to play sports and be active. He still plays golf 3x a week. He taught us to give back - he volunteers quite a lot now that he is retired.

And now, later in life, he is taking care of my mom, who is experiencing quite a few health problems including Alzheimer's. He has even learned to cook!

He is my rock, and I hope that as he needs me more dealing with my mother's issues, I can be his rock in return. I am the person I am because of him.

More respectful accounts of dads who are great men, really nice to read, Tom52 and kaudrey.

These gentlemen deserve to be called "Sir".

More respectful accounts of dads who are great men, really nice to read, Tom52 and kaudrey.

These gentlemen deserve to be called "Sir".

+2

My Father's 97th birthday was yesterday. He passed this January. He once (with tears in his eyes) said he knew he wasn't the best father, but he did the best he could with what he knew. Looking at family history, he had no one to act as a role model, he did pretty well.

He and mom were married for 70 years before she passed. I really admired how he took care of mom during her last 10 years. She had dementia and was difficult to be around. He took care of her, meals, cleaning, all things he had to learn very late in life.

A wonderful song, great tribute!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'm reconciling all my accounts as year-end prep and it made me think of two things.

The first is how lucky we were to have parents that planned for our futures (upcoming inherited IRA RMD triggered that).

The second was a comment Dad made after dinner one night. All five of us were there, and the dog. Dad was content with his beer and smiling. Everyone except Dad had post-graduate degrees. The topic turned to money. Dad settled back, laughed, and said,

"You're the ones with all the education. But I make all the money".

:D

I'll bet you miss him a lot, especially around the holidays. I miss my mother so much even though she passed away over 7 years ago. It's hard to believe.

Thank goodness she is always with me, in my memories. If I want to see her, I just look in the mirror. Sometimes my voice sounds just like hers! Several times a week I recall some pearl of wisdom or other that she said to me at sometime in her life.

Remembering her around the holidays has become a wonderful thing for me, not a painful thing.

I see that last post survived! Good thing network censors didn't decide.

I never called Dad "my old man". Neither did the people I hung out with in reference to their fathers. If we wanted to be wiseguy kids, we would talk about our parents to each other by their first names, like "So how did Fred and Wilma take that??".

But as I am finalizing a big (to me) move, I'm discovering big objects aren't a problem ("oh, that full replica of the Statue of Liberty? Sure, just disassemble and throw the parts in the back of the truck.")

For me, it's the little stuff that can be interesting and time-consuming to go through and decide. I found a pile of things and pulled out a Christmas card, a nice traditional one, no jokester stuff.

It was signed together (they had distinctive writing), "Love, Mom" and "Your drinking partner, The Old Man (Dad)". Keeper!

I see on my calendar that a couple of notable days are right around the corner: the summer solstice and... Father's Day!

This thread was motivated by a few family members talking about our dad on his birthday but it's fun and what I've enjoyed the most are the great dad stories that others have offered about their fathers. But I have a little bit to add.

I mentioned a while ago that I'd received a plain envelope within a package (like one of those "interoffice mail" things) that contained my dad's ring, and I was trying to figure out what to do with it. I described it and fortunately everyone who read was too polite to make a wiseguy crack like, "Uhhhhh, dude - you DO know that's his wedding band, don't you:confused:".

Of course I did, but I didn't care. I scratched my head and ended up conferring with the troops and a high-level decision was made that it should find a new home on my right ring finger. So that's where it went and I went about my business.

What was interesting over the next few months were the reactions by people I ran across in daily life. I'd never worn a ring of any sort, the only thing I wore that could be considered "jewelry" was a wristwatch, up until then.

But the reaction from different sexes was funny to me. For example, a bunch of people were out celebrating a friend's birthday and the spirits were flowing happy and plentiful. One woman I barely had met walked over, sat down, pointed at my finger and said "so, what's going on here?". There you go - don't mince words, girl! I laughed and said, "That's Dad's ring", which was apparently an appropriate response and she smiled.

The guys are different. An old friend came through town a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted to get together for a beer and dinner. Of course! We met in the bar and sat down for the beer and started talking, deciding where to eat dinner later. Lots of things to catch up on. We decided to stay at the same place and move to a table.

Talked and talked some more, and finally while we were waiting for the food to be served, I said, "your eyes keep wandering around and checking out my hand. Wanna know?". He said, "well yeah, that is new". So I told him and he also liked it, but I said I got that reaction a lot from the guys: the wandering eyes bit. I guess they figured I was gay and they didn't know it or got married, forgot to tell them and worse couldn't follow instructions. Whatever.

But after a while I was thinking, "this appears to cause more of a stir than I'd intended". Maybe I should go find a really nice jewelry case and enshrine it along with other family memorabilia or some other solution.

Then, I was watching Casablanca one more time (Sam), and I noticed: Bogart is wearing a wedding band on his right ring finger! It's true, check it out. It's clear in his first appearance in the saloon.

I looked into it further, and learned that Bogie indeed wore his father's ring after he'd died, often in film roles. Well, there. That's enough for me. The only other things that ever appear on the fingers of that hand for me are metal finger picks sold to me in St. Louis by Buddy Emmons (my thumbpick is a garden-variety plastic thing).

Dad and the Big E. That's a team I'm proud to have on my right hand!

So... Happy Father's Day to all your dads and especially to the dads that are e-r.org members! Great day!

Last edited:
Does that mean you're now a Bogiehead?

I bet your Dad's ring looks nice on you. DH wears one of his father's rings (not a wedding band--I don't know what happened to that one) on his right hand too.

Does that mean you're now a Bogiehead?

I bet your Dad's ring looks nice on you. DH wears one of his father's rings (not a wedding band--I don't know what happened to that one) on his right hand too.

You can call me Betty. Nobody else.

Your guy's got it going on!

This will be the first Fathers day without Dad. When Mom died several years ago, I was worried he would give up. But he struggled for a while and then came out of his shell. He has always been my financial advisor in his own way, stressing savings first, then giving/donations, then living it up on whats left! We didn't have much growing up, but always had food on the table, a roof over our heads and a loving family. Dad was able to get a well paying job in his later career and lived the life with Mom--always said he was spending our inheritance.. Wish he was still here to do that. Loved them both to pieces, still do.

Back
Top Bottom