Did you "retire to" what you thought you would?

Much to my amazement I discovered that I am perfectly happy and self confident without having to constantly pat myself on the back for accomplishing stuff. I am just relaxing and having fun, like I used to do during any free time I could carve out on the weekends.

I do need a little bit of structure in my life, but that is easy to build into my day.
+1. When I was young and making my way in the world, I was competitive in almost everything I did - work, sports, everything. It was helpful in my career, but probably obnoxious at times outside work in retrospect. I am still mildly competitive where it makes sense (team golf, sail racing), but for the most part I've let go of making everything a competition. When the competition is over, my mood is the same win or lose (really). I can play golf and truly enjoy myself whether I shoot 77 or 97 (OK, 77 is a little more fun :blush:).

That said I have occasional lapses, some played out on this forum sadly.

I am nicer and more conversational with strangers than I ever was when I was younger. A pleasant change for me, and hopefully those around me too.

And I also need some structure. No right or wrong, some folks are just happy making it up as they go, maybe one day I'll get there.

Last edited:
We thought we would downsize and travel. Instead we kept the family size house and got a dog. It has worked out well. There is more to do in our local area than we realized when we were working and discovering the wonders of retirees specials, rush tickets, Facebook deals and seat filler tickets has been pretty cool. Both of our adult kids plus some of their friends were here this weekend and had a cookout in the backyard so it has worked out keeping the house.

We plan out some kind of fun outing most days and then try to fit in house and yard chores and errands in our at home time. Today there is a music crawl in Napa we might go to and later on this week DH has a club outing, some friends are teaching us mah-jong, we have comedy show tickets, there's a couple of park concerts and we're going hiking at a state park and visiting a garden in Sonoma on the weekend. I like to plan events, DH likes to drive and we both like a steady stream of activities so it has been working out pretty well.

It's been pretty much what I thought it would be. I didn't have specific expectations of retirement - just that I thought it would be great to get out of bed when I wanted, and do whatever I wanted until I went back to bed. That is how it has worked out, and it's wonderful!

We downsized from two 1800 sq ft homes to a 1400 sq ft manufactured home in a +55 park. We started traveling with a vengeance, but as we aged we slowed down..
I am still active flying and railroading, and DW has discovered a passion for succulents.
She has converted the rear of our carport to a beautiful oasis of plants. There also a table and two teak rockers for us to sit and enjoy..
Attached is the sign we had made up for our front porch

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpg
    IMG_6414.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 78
Once I realized the guys at work really didn't need me anymore, and a bronze statue of me was not planned for the entry way to the corporate office, I was OK with retirement.

Every day is new and I generally don't have a written concrete plan of action items. I also came to the realization that if something doesn't need my immediate attention, I CAN DO IT LATER. (Later maybe tomorrow!)

Like several others here, I thought I would do a lot of things that for one reason or another haven't panned out. First I planned to take up golf, but after 6 months of lessons and trying hard, I discovered I was never going to be tolerably good at it (at least not without a lot of effort) so I dropped it. I also planned to do some consulting, but found I didn't really enjoy trying to drum up clients, so after a couple of small gigs I quit trying. But I have (and continue to do) a lot of volunteering, including board and committee work, and we do travel (although not as much as I expected due to DH's increasing disability).

Some days (like tomorrow) are heavily scheduled, and others I enjoy having nothing at all planned between walking the dog at 7:15am and pouring a glass of wine at 5pm as I start cooking dinner.

Retired almost 8 years. In those 8 years, things have been constantly in flux - mostly driven by other people in my life and their whims. So I think that I am on the 4th iteration of my retired lifestyle at the moment:

DW still working:
First 2 years: retired in the suburbs, living in a large home with garage, tools, etc...
Next 3 years: retired in a small condo in downtown San Francisco (the move to SF was driven by DW's job)

DW retires
First 3 years: retired in downtown SF at first, then back to the burbs; DW and I spending almost all of our time together (lots of hiking and travel).
Recently: retired in the suburbs, living in a large home, DW and I spending more time apart doing our own things.

With each iteration, my lifestyle and hobbies have evolved. I imagine that there will be many more iterations over my retired life.

Last edited:
I love this retirement gig! I retired 16 years ago but did "fall of the wagon" for ~ 5 years for a low stress job nearby with a 5-minute commute. When things went south there I quit.

It started out by moving from near Washington, D.C. to WV mostly to escape having to plan one's life around the traffic and that part has worked out great. In distance it was less than 100 miles but in culture and lifestyle it is a world away.

Before retirement I'd been active with radio control model airplanes for 20 years and had intended to continue with that but lost all interest in building and flying. Perhaps that was a stress reliever and without the stress from work I didn't need it anymore? Or perhaps I had simply plateaued with the hobby. I really don't know. Anyway, I bought a motorcycle when I was 57, thinking that if I didn't do it then I'd never have another chance, and it turned out I was right. After 25k miles and 5 years health issues made giving up the bike a necessity. Well, not "necessary" but I think it would have been pushing the envelope more than was wise to keep riding.

We don't travel much since we're both homebody introverts. DW loves having the free time to spend with family (I do too) and I've started back up the R/C airplanes, this time with small foam ones that I can fly in the back yard. I read and post here, read books, watch movies and documentaries just go for a ride to see where a road goes, go to the gym every other day, and so on.

The coolest thing is that as long as I maintain a pulse, my former employer continues to send money!:dance:

Best job I've ever had. I like my boss too.

Much better than I could have ever dreamed.

I retired 4.3 years ago, and my retirement is very close to what I expected. I spend most of my time pursuing hobbies and traveling. And some yard work and home remodeling. Also volunteer a little.

I really had no idea what retirement would be like .I retired ten years ago joined a gym to take group classes to make new friends . I also started an ebay business which was very successful but after eight years I closed that . Traveled quite a bit and spent time with my new grandson.SO & I have settled into a nice routine that includes together and apart time . All in all retirement is like life .There are good times and not so good times .

I had no real plans- retired 4 years ago a week after deciding that the politics were getting toxic, I didn't need to earn any more money and my arbitrary target of working 4 more years to age 65 was just that- arbitrary. So I quit. DH had retired years before (he was older) and was delighted with the idea; our first granddaughter had just been born and I had plenty of interests.

We realized immediately what a joy it was to be able to plan a long trip every year to Europe or Alaska plus visits to DS and his family 3 hours away, plus trips to the Carolinas to see family, etc. without having to count vacation days (even though I'd had a generous vacation allowance). I also jettisoned the idea of a PT "fun" job, realizing I'd be constrained to X vacation days again. I found projects to do around the house and yard, and increased volunteer commitments. When DH went through his final illness, I didn't have to try to hold down a job and when I was needed to stay with the granddaughter when her baby sister was born 2 weeks after DH died, I was free to help out and experience a very concrete reminder that life goes on and I still have a purpose.

I still have no plan, other than 3 major trips booked between now and the end of 2019 and two major trips, one concrete and the other vague, in 2020, plus work on a Lay Preaching License. Life is good.

I had no real plans either, I knew I wanted to travel but didn’t have a traveling companion until I met my wife, before that I took a trip maybe once a year but the last 3 years have been a traveling frenzy, doing around 4 trips a year

We spend our days at home very leisurely, usually hanging around the house until mid morning then shopping a bit until early afternoon, come home and do it all again the next day, what a grind.

Even though my retirement began 10 years ago, what had a bigger impact on my life as a retiree today was the change from working full-time to part-time back in 2001, 7 years before I actually fully retired. It was back then when I regained most of my personal life.

I had planned to do 2 things with my additional available time I was not able to do before (or had not done in a long time). One was starting my involvement with the school Scrabble program, something I could do only during weekdays during the school day. The other was returning to square dancing, something I hadn't done since the late 1980s. While that was an evening activity, I never had the time or energy to do that when my standard workday got longer and the long, tiring commute simply wore me out.

I still do those two things, 17 years later, and have expanded my involvement with both, especially after I fully retired in late 2008, nearly 10 years ago.

It was an adjustment not going to fabricate that. I can say after 26 month's being retired it has been the best thing I could of ever done. Not a dull moment I have some structure for about 4 month's 50/50 the rest is plan do on the go and do what ever. I love each and everyday of retirement. LOL

Good Luck!

I overlooked a key goal that I established just after retiring. Weather permitting, I try to get 20-40 minutes in the hammock every day, unless traveling. NC summers can be hot, so I installed a fan that cools me nicely. I'm good with temps from the 40's to the mid 90's. :cool:

While I'm not a member of the *IRP, I do have to call into question your commitment to retirement if you don't own a hammock. Just sayin':D

*Internet Retirement Police

We love the flexibility. We started on a 6 week trip 3 weeks ago with 4 dogs and had a great time. Decided today we are tired and leaving for home on Thursday. We can finish the trip another time.

While my retirement has not gone as planned, I am absolutely loving it. Major plans were: sell house/move to another town, travel to Europe, trip to NYC.

The Zelinski tree organizer was a huge motivator for me; I spent several weeks on it as ideas kept coming. Somehow, I misplaced it and never made another one. Days are busy enough without it. I may come up with another one some day because it was a fun exercise.

DH and I are getting more serious about selling & relocating. I seriously want that to happen....and the trips to Europe & NYC.

I committed to not cleaning one closet the first year of retirement. check.
I committed to one first class airline trip to Asia. check
I committed to a season long RV Civil War trip. check
I committed to a long hiking trip with friends. check
I committed to a workout plan for each day. check
I committed to lose some weight. In process.

The plan...

Travel extensively, teach community college, acquire and manage 5 rental houses, regain my jazz guitar chops, do woodworking projects, and lose 40 lbs.

Actual...

I lost my Executive Platinum status at AA so traveling sucks. We still travel, just not as much as I was thinking.

I got copies of my college transcripts and filled out all the necessary paperwork to apply for an adjunct faculty position at the local community college. It's still sitting in a file in my desk. I never sent it in for fear I might actually be hired and once again be enslaved to an Outlook calendar.

We did acquire 2 rental properties. I've since sold one. The other is manageable for now with good tenants. But if/when they leave, I'll probably sell. Too much like work.

My jazz guitar chops are coming along but nowhere close to my college days. My mind knows what to do, but my fingers won't cooperate. Must practice more...

I've done several woodworking and home improvement projects every year and continue to upgrade my equipment and skills. So that's roughly on plan.

And yes, I lost 40 lbs... 45 at one point, but I'm up a bit at this writing.

After 5 years, I just sort-of let the days unfold naturally without forcing anything, but still with some loosely-knit priorities so I retain a sense of purpose and accomplishment. DW is much more of a people person and is struggling a bit with the loss of her social network at work. ER is still a work-in-process for her. So I've adjusted my MO a bit. I even bought a nice pair of shoes for social events and I'm practicing small-talk.

Totally different. When w*rking, the things I did to get away became much less interesting once I retired. My "top five things I'll do in retirement" is entirely untouched, and I have no desire to do any of them.

I found that w*rk shaped my thinking in a way I did not recognize until it was no longer there.

I really agree with the above.

This is something I have seen happen to quite afew folks that have retired.

We have all kinds of plans - but I wonder once I do retire if we'll do most of them?

Can't wait to find out :)

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go

Totally different. When w*rking, the things I did to get away became much less interesting once I retired. My "top five things I'll do in retirement" is entirely untouched, and I have no desire to do any of them.

I found that w*rk shaped my thinking in a way I did not recognize until it was no longer there.

+1

Almost four years into retirement now (hard to believe).

To build on MichaelB's comment, your interests might well change as you realize that some of them were in place solely as a counterbalance to the stresses of work. Once the work is gone, they lose their allure.

I also made a long list of things to do after retirement and never revisited it.

About a year ago, I posted about three other things that surprised me in retirement, and they still hold true:

1. You might spend less than you think. Before retirement I focused in large part on the financial side of things. I ran lots of different scenarios using online calculators. But I haven't done that since. Once I realized that my spending would be a lot lower than I originally estimated, barring unplanned major financial hits, I became much more relaxed about money. I don't even follow a budget or withdrawal formula (e.g., 4% rule). The wild card is health care, of course. (2018 update: Due to an unexpected medical procedure and my high deductible policy, I spent a lot more on health care in 2017 than estimated.)

2. A little work provides welcome contrast. Initially, I thought I would not be interested in part-time work at all, but that changed. We're adaptable creatures, and leisure quickly becomes the new normal, making it easy to take it for granted. I've found that some enjoyable, low-stress work enhances my appreciation of leisure and post-retirement freedom of choice. And the extra income, although it's not much, gives me a little more play money.

3. Good health is part of your wealth.
Once you think you've finally fully grasped the owner's manual to your body, your body starts to change or present you with health challenges. You can eat less, but you still gain weight. You can exercise as much as before, but with diminishing returns. So you have to continually adjust. Perhaps most important is to get a full night's sleep. I realized after I retired that I had been sleep deprived at work; now I make sure to get eight hours (or at least seven) of sleep.

I'm five years in and it didn't play out quite like I thought. No regrets though.

The hobbies that I once loved and thought I'd rekindle in retirement, I found that I'd totally lost interest. I guess you really "can't go home again" sometimes.

The first year was all velocity and no vector. Hiking the AT, resuming flight instruction, visiting aging relatives, much travel, etc.

It has now settled into a routine of sorts. Walking 2 hours every day, gym visits 5 days per week and helping care for my 93-year-old FIL. I, like many, hate the weekends with Monday being my favorite day.

I found out that I despise doctors and how they interfere with my free time.

For a year an a half, it has been pretty much to plan: more travel, a lot of time spent processing photos taken on big and small trips, listen to music, read, spend some time on the deck, play with the dog, walk every day. I had thought I would start up a side gig doing photo editing and creating photo books for others, but really, even though there may be a slow day here and there, I have not had to time for it.

I ERd in 2005 and never looked back. I expected I would need to search for things to occupy my time but never did. I am happy with a bit of volunteer activity, a few 20+ mile bike rides every week, some travel, and a lot of reading. The to do list got dusty. I think this is a matter of nature, DW needs more structure than me but reports that she can create it with at least one scheduled activity per day. Other people I know need lots of planned activities.

Back
Top Bottom