Do we need Facebook in ER?

I have very few friends, and those I have..... I doubt they are in Facebook. Well, maybe some of you are....:angel:. Any way my stock of inane things to say isn´t that large. This Forum takes it all:D!!

I have very few friends, and those I have..... I doubt they are in Facebook. Well, maybe some of you are....:angel:. Any way my stock of inane things to say isn´t that large. This Forum takes it all:D!!
Hi Vincente, I like your attitude.;)

I feel sure that there are some other forum members who have what appears to be a limitless supply of inane things to say that could perhaps loan you some :D
Heck, I doubt that REWahoo or I could give any of ours away...

Well I am late to the party as usual. I have been busy with real life!

Anyway, I joined FB upon invitation and have struggled with it for about 6 months. I already knew that my kids use text messaging rather than email because email is so slow, last generation, lame.

But then they don't do a lot on FB either. They keep in touch with their close friends in other ways.

I reject all friend requests that I don't recognize. And all commercial requests. I am there in full view. But I am retired so maybe it is not worth their while.

I have found FB to be useful to reconnect with a cousin who is confined to a wheelchair and lives outside my normal sphere of travel (and also that of her two brothers) so we have reconnected in a meaningful way. There are a couple of other meaningful connections that have developed. Enough so, I check it twice a week to see what is up (unless travelling).

There are number of postings that I have had to shut done, including all games. But I have also connected with a bunch of new friends in the expat community in PV. So on balance, I would say it is a worthwhile forum but not the billion dollar panacea that Goldman thinks it is.

I check into three forums on a regular basis (daily when I can) and FB is not one of them. But for once a week or so, it does add value.

My grandson who is 10 has befriended me and, according to some new facilities, IDed me as his Grandpa. I suspect that means I can be eliminated from viewing some of his posts, but he won't do that for another 3 years! And by then I might have moved on to something else anyway.

Does anyone else view the market activity as reminiscent of 2000? All things are great in the markets, except that they are disconnected with reality!

So how long till this forum moves to Facebook? :hide:

So how long till this forum moves to Facebook? :hide:

No no a thousand times, no! This forum has so much more in the way of privacy controls... this is a good thing, I think people are more open when they are semi-anonymous. At least about money. (Americans are more likely to talk about sex than money... ho ho ho...).... :ROFLMAO:

Well I am late to the party as usual. I have been busy with real life!
And this forum isn't real life? My butt hurts from sitting in this chair, my fingers are getting arthritic from all the typing and my back and neck hurt from my bad posture, my eyesight is failing from reading all this stuff! It is real life! :)

I wouldn't want it to be the only part of my real life though.

I moved to facebook several years ago. My visitation comes and goes. Have met some lovely folks there. Occasionally trim my lists. It's whatever you want it to be.

I also occupy twitter and friendfeed.

I joined the FB party out of a perceived necessary - I went on The Amazing Race and discovered that that's what all the teams do - they get set up on facebook to milk their fame there. :whistle: FYI my milk was very skim, my fame was fleeting, and my Facebook activity is now for family and freinds, not for the 62 fans I garnered.

I feel stuck in the middle:
* My 27 yo son does not respond to email anymore; if I message him FB I get a response very quickly. He is FB obsessed and posts at least 5 times a day about mindless stuff.
* I poked at my 73 yo fathers' FB page (which has 5 friends, 1 photo, and 9 wall posts in 2 years) to say "hey where are you!" and he got angry and stated "we OLD people don't DO facebook. Send me an email". He misses out on all his wonderful greatgrandson pictures, family ancestry findings, reunion stories, exciting and trivial moments of our lives. He misses the excitement when my son posts to the world that "he got his teaching assignment", or that the toddler is now saying "green means go".

It's hard to bridge these worlds.

The sole forum on which I post is ER. I read Bogleheads but do not post there. My sister tried to get me to join FB, but I resisted. She spends half her life on FB and Classmates and also her college alumni social website and gives my personal e-mail address out with abandon to people that we know in common (however slightly) so I don't feel the need to have a presence anywhere "to reconnect". My son never answers the e-mails I send him unless I get really mad and start threatening to hop a plane and show up on his doorstep. Somehow he knows when I have reached the limits of my patience, and he will respond with a terse message or even call. He claims I am the only one he knows who still uses e-mail so he never looks at it much.

I cannot live without Facebook. All seven of my kids and most of their spouses and many of my 21 grandchildren on on Facebook. How would I know what's going on without FB?

I have some extended family and friends who post several messages per day. I just "hide" them, and tah-duh, I don't have to see their inane messages.

I've heard this idea before, that FB is going to make email obsolete. It sounds rather too pat. I won't be lining up to buy FB shares when the IPO comes out in 2012.

I feel sure that there are some other forum members who have what appears to be a limitless supply of inane things to say that could perhaps loan you some :D

Did someone call my name? :greetings10: This is the only forum I belong to, so you all get the best of the best of my innanity (is that even a word? :LOL:)

Not a FB user, no desire to enter the domain.

I wouldn't want anything like FB to distract me from my cribbage games with Mr B. :D One of these days I might even win best of 3 games. Yeah right. :nonono:

I don't have Facebook but I did see the movie, "The Social Network." Thought it was really really good.

What is this Facebook thing? How could I go and see what it is?

Grand kids set me up on FB while I was visiting them during the holidays. They were so proud when they showed me...my picture (actual), thank goodness they used a fictitious birthdate. :-/ No security...open to everyone...hmm. I read the security stuff and think I have it pretty tight now. I do enjoy seeing what they are up to and the pictures they put up (sports, plays, dance team, and silly goof-off pictures with their friends. What I don't like is all of the things that show up of who is now friends with whom, who likes whose status, etc. I don't post on g-kid's wall...just send them a FB message...and they get right back to me. ;)

I did change my status picture (put a cute picture of my dog in its place) and I "hid" my picture, but I can't seem to remove it. Sigh.

I have found a friend or two I had lost contact with. Problem with FB posts with friends is that several of their friends (only acquaintances to me) have seen my posts and have sent request to be friends. I don't know these people well enough to have much to say to them beyond hello.

I accepted one too many today (he posted on my friend's page that he was glad to have found me and was sending me a request to be friends). He immediately wrote all over my page and sent me a long list of his friends he thought I would like to extend an invite to. Now I have to find out how to block him from posting on my wall...and I don't want any messages from him either! I should have just ignored him to begin with. 8-( Live and learn.

Nova, you can ignore requests from him and that can "hide" him pretty well from future requests. Harder with the wall, but if you just delete his posts, he'll get the picture. If asked, you can say you just don't like clutter.

To delete your picture, just click on it and you should have an option to delete. Unless it is one your gkids posted, then you can just untag yourself.

I set up an account not long ago so I could read something a friend wanted me to take a look at. Then I saw where a few relatives were on there so I said, OK....might as well keep it. Then I got a request or two from people I had never heard of wanting to be friends. WTH? Why would anyone befriend someone they know nothing about?

I see where it can be a decent way to keep up with family, but I doubt I will get into very much. I saw where my niece has something like 600 friends on here account.:confused: Shes 25. I doubt I have met 600 people in my life time that I could possible call a friend.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom