Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you color your hair ?
Yes 40 28.78%
No 96 69.06%
Sometimes 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still have every strand of hair as I did in my 20s.

And 99% of them still have the same color.

Same with my wife.

The one in the family who has spent the most on hair coloring is my 25-yr old daughter, although she seemed to stop once she had to include housing expenses into her budget, first for an apartment and now for her town house.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, I don't color my hair. I have just a grey hair here and there now, and not many here's and there's so far at all.

When I worked for megacorp, there were a lot of older guys who colored their hair. It was funny, they looked so goofy. A common effect was sort of a lighter brown, that had a reddish tinge to it when the light was right. I had to force myself not to look at some of these guy's hair during meetings, lest I started to chuckle.

One guy in his 60's that was all grey, always kidded me about my hair color. He really thought I colored it, because it wasn't getting grey like many others were getting around my age or older. I suggested to him that if he really didn't believe me, that I needed to show him my hair "other places" to prove it was the same. He quickly said that wasn't needed...

Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I don't color my hair. My beard and sideburns have a touch of gray, but the rest of my hair is still pretty dark. DW does color her hair.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #44

I do not currently color my hair.

I've actually colored my hair a good bit of my life. It is very dark brown and I thought it was boring. When I was younger I highlighted it. Then about 18 years or so ago I went to a various shades of red/auburn. Even went blond for a couple of years.

Then a few years ago, I started coloring it myself. Dark brown just to color gray.

When I ESR'd I decided to let it grow out and see how it looks natural. Above my right eye and on that side it is a nice silvery white. However, most of the rest of it is a dark gray.

Personally I think it makes me look old (I'm 56) and I don't like the dark gray part. However, everyone tells me how much they like it which is sort of disconcerting....

I am keeping it like this for awhile but may start coloring again in a while.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Purple...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #46
gone traveling

James Bond: Weren't you a blonde when I came in?
Tiffany Case: Could be.
James Bond: I tend to notice little things like that - whether a girl is a blonde or a brunette.
Tiffany Case: Which do you prefer?
James Bond: Well, as long as the collar and cuffs match ...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter was into colors like purple and orange in high school. She did the dye jobs in the shower - our walls looked like a rainbow.

Reminds me of the joke about the old sailor who sees a kid with multi-color hair in spikes.............
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #48

I've never colored mine, but my sister and mother have done it for years. I can't be bothered with the maintenance, even though I am getting some gray one here and there.
DH's buddies have accused him of dying his hair, just because he is the only one without tons of gray. Of course, he doesn't color it, he just doesn't have gray hair because he gets to live with me!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I have a male relative who had no gray hair for the longest time, while his wife, who was his age, was prematurely gray--she did not look older than him except for hair color. They had a great sense of humor about her being told by clerks, ticket agents, etc., that her "son" had paid for her or that her "son" could carry her suitcase.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have a male relative who had no gray hair for the longest time, while his wife, who was his age, was prematurely gray--she did not look older than him except for hair color. They had a great sense of humor about her being told by clerks, ticket agents, etc., that her "son" had paid for her or that her "son" could carry her suitcase.
A very confident woman.

Ha
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #51

I think unfortunately too many folks have drunk the koolaid and believe the marketing hype that dying your hair will make you look 10 years younger. Believe me, you aren't fooling anyone.

Women especially seem to believe that getting that dye job will make a difference. However, there are a ton of things with your appearance that add years to you.

- When was the last time you updated your haircut? That old granny pixie cut clearly defines your age?
- Makeup. When was the last time you went in and got made up and bought update colours?
- Clothing. If you shop at J Jill and Eddie Bauer it clearly defines exactly your age group. Have you ever used a personal shopper to help you identify some trends that suit your body type and will bring you up to date?
- Attitude. If you act old that is how people will judge you. Not saying you should act like a teenager and slam back the shots and puke in the gutter, but you need to get current on what music is out there. What shows are being watched.
- Wrinkles - so if you are dying your hair are you into the botox? Wrinkles are probably more age defining than hair colour.
- What about the whiskers that start sprouting everywhere as we age? Are we all taking care of those?
- Manicures - getting them to add a flower to your mani or pedi doesn't make you look young just looks like you are trying to hard.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #52

My hair was coal black for years until some silver started coming in. Now it's 7/8ths silver--and a pretty color, too--but all my girlfriends are after me to dye my hair again....and I don't wanna. Too stinky, too much trouble, too...just too. I feel I've reached an age that I can go au natural. OK, that's my excuse anyway.
On the other hand, people stop me alot to tell me how "beautiful" they think my hair is. I just don't get the whole thing, so I'm keeping it untouched for now.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I think unfortunately too many folks have drunk the koolaid and believe the marketing hype that dying your hair will make you look 10 years younger. Believe me, you aren't fooling anyone.

Women especially seem to believe that getting that dye job will make a difference. However, there are a ton of things with your appearance that add years to you.

- When was the last time you updated your haircut? That old granny pixie cut clearly defines your age?
- Makeup. When was the last time you went in and got made up and bought update colours?
- Clothing. If you shop at J Jill and Eddie Bauer it clearly defines exactly your age group. Have you ever used a personal shopper to help you identify some trends that suit your body type and will bring you up to date?
- Attitude. If you act old that is how people will judge you. Not saying you should act like a teenager and slam back the shots and puke in the gutter, but you need to get current on what music is out there. What shows are being watched.
- Wrinkles - so if you are dying your hair are you into the botox? Wrinkles are probably more age defining than hair colour.
- What about the whiskers that start sprouting everywhere as we age? Are we all taking care of those?
- Manicures - getting them to add a flower to your mani or pedi doesn't make you look young just looks like you are trying to hard.

Just my 2 cents worth.
So.... is this no longer true in your earlier post on this thread?

Quote:
...Personally I couldn't care less what others do.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

All this talk about hair makes me wonder if most of us have our hair a certain way because we like it...or our SO likes it.

When I was a kid, my hair was usually long. Most of my adult life, I've had a short cut...very manageable without a lot of fuss. Last summer DH said he liked me with long hair. Whodah thunk it?

So now it's longer than it has been in over 30 years. When I first starting growing it out, it drove me bananas. I've gotten to the point now where it's starting to look better and I like the way it feels on my back. It's kind of a PITA, however he looks at my face/hair more than I do....so...let it grow....
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So.... is this no longer true in your earlier post on this thread?
Truly, I don't care what others do. It really is each to their own. We have to do what works for ourselves.

All I'm saying is we should be aware that it's more than dying your hair that makes you look younger.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
All this talk about hair makes me wonder if most of us have our hair a certain way because we like it...or our SO likes it.

When I was a kid, my hair was usually long. Most of my adult life, I've had a short cut...very manageable without a lot of fuss. Last summer DH said he liked me with long hair. Whodah thunk it?
Have to agree with you on that one. My DH hates it when I have my hair shorter. Actually it is easier as I hate the way my hair looks when it is shorter as well. He loves when I put my hair up. I always think I look like a bloke with short hair. Some people are fortunate enough to have thick hair that sits in a lovely style when it is short, unfortunately my hair is fine and likes to cling to my skull so looks seriously sad when it is short.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with you . Depending on the color . It can age you . I also agree that an outdated hairstyle ages you faster . Last week I saw a woman ( late 60's early 70's ) in hot pants and she had her hair parted in the middle waist length . It was a locked in the 60's look .I think you are right in that it is the allover appearance that is the most important and for some hair color is a small part of it . I do not think that any of the board members are trying to desperately look younger by coloring their hair . They just want to look nicer than they do with gray hair . Also for me the color gives my hair some body . Otherwise it is pretty limp. I have never had botox but if I wasn't so cheap I would consider a small lift .
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I am in a place where people walk all the time, so I see lot of women that I do not know. Here are my nominations for most cost effective age-wiping strategies. To be attractive to men in middle age, a woman really wants to suggest vitality and energy toward life.

Stand up straight. Try to keep trim and fit. Get a good hair cut, whether colored or not. Smile, or at least don't have that "I am frightened of/pissed at/the world look". Wear stylish jeans or other clothes. Avoid athletic shoes unless you are jogging or working out.

Women and men have every right to look any way they want. These are just my observations of what tends to look good to men, given that one cannot truly turn back the clock.

Ha
Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well.... about 2 years ago I had decided to retire and had a nice haircut. It kept looking good and it occurred to me to let it grow. It just kept looking good and so I managed to not have my hair cut for over 18 months - saving a ton of $$ in the process. Plus it's such a refreshing aging hippie look...

I am about 99.5% dark brown hair, just a little gray, so I don't dye it. My hair is mid-back length now and it's pretty weird to look in the mirror and look like I'm in my 40s and I'm almost 63. Not a bad thing, just weird.

People were talking about long hair that got lighter as it went up - mine is lighter at the bottom, from being out in the sun longer and darker near the roots. Go figure.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Fluorescent yellow at the moment, though fairly faded, it is actually time to bleach and dye again. Been dyeing it interesting shades for 19 years now, iirc.