Do you color your hair ?

• Yes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 68.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
I think unfortunately too many folks have drunk the koolaid and believe the marketing hype that dying your hair will make you look 10 years younger. Believe me, you aren't fooling anyone.

Women especially seem to believe that getting that dye job will make a difference. However, there are a ton of things with your appearance that add years to you.

- When was the last time you updated your haircut? That old granny pixie cut clearly defines your age?
- Makeup. When was the last time you went in and got made up and bought update colours?
- Clothing. If you shop at J Jill and Eddie Bauer it clearly defines exactly your age group. Have you ever used a personal shopper to help you identify some trends that suit your body type and will bring you up to date?
- Attitude. If you act old that is how people will judge you. Not saying you should act like a teenager and slam back the shots and puke in the gutter, but you need to get current on what music is out there. What shows are being watched.
- Wrinkles - so if you are dying your hair are you into the botox? Wrinkles are probably more age defining than hair colour.
- What about the whiskers that start sprouting everywhere as we age? Are we all taking care of those?
- Manicures - getting them to add a flower to your mani or pedi doesn't make you look young just looks like you are trying to hard.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My hair was coal black for years until some silver started coming in. Now it's 7/8ths silver--and a pretty color, too--but all my girlfriends are after me to dye my hair again....and I don't wanna. Too stinky, too much trouble, too...just too. I feel I've reached an age that I can go au natural. OK, that's my excuse anyway.:whistle:
On the other hand, people stop me alot to tell me how "beautiful" they think my hair is. I just don't get the whole thing, so I'm keeping it untouched for now.

I think unfortunately too many folks have drunk the koolaid and believe the marketing hype that dying your hair will make you look 10 years younger. Believe me, you aren't fooling anyone.

Women especially seem to believe that getting that dye job will make a difference. However, there are a ton of things with your appearance that add years to you.

- When was the last time you updated your haircut? That old granny pixie cut clearly defines your age?
- Makeup. When was the last time you went in and got made up and bought update colours?
- Clothing. If you shop at J Jill and Eddie Bauer it clearly defines exactly your age group. Have you ever used a personal shopper to help you identify some trends that suit your body type and will bring you up to date?
- Attitude. If you act old that is how people will judge you. Not saying you should act like a teenager and slam back the shots and puke in the gutter, but you need to get current on what music is out there. What shows are being watched.
- Wrinkles - so if you are dying your hair are you into the botox? Wrinkles are probably more age defining than hair colour.
- What about the whiskers that start sprouting everywhere as we age? Are we all taking care of those?
- Manicures - getting them to add a flower to your mani or pedi doesn't make you look young just looks like you are trying to hard.

Just my 2 cents worth.

So.... is this no longer true in your earlier post on this thread?

...Personally I couldn't care less what others do.

All this talk about hair makes me wonder if most of us have our hair a certain way because we like it...or our SO likes it.

When I was a kid, my hair was usually long. Most of my adult life, I've had a short cut...very manageable without a lot of fuss. Last summer DH said he liked me with long hair. Whodah thunk it? :blink:

So now it's longer than it has been in over 30 years. When I first starting growing it out, it drove me bananas. I've gotten to the point now where it's starting to look better and I like the way it feels on my back. It's kind of a PITA, however he looks at my face/hair more than I do....so...let it grow....:)

So.... is this no longer true in your earlier post on this thread?

Truly, I don't care what others do. It really is each to their own. We have to do what works for ourselves.

All I'm saying is we should be aware that it's more than dying your hair that makes you look younger.

All this talk about hair makes me wonder if most of us have our hair a certain way because we like it...or our SO likes it.

When I was a kid, my hair was usually long. Most of my adult life, I've had a short cut...very manageable without a lot of fuss. Last summer DH said he liked me with long hair. Whodah thunk it? :blink:

Have to agree with you on that one. My DH hates it when I have my hair shorter. Actually it is easier as I hate the way my hair looks when it is shorter as well. He loves when I put my hair up. I always think I look like a bloke with short hair. Some people are fortunate enough to have thick hair that sits in a lovely style when it is short, unfortunately my hair is fine and likes to cling to my skull so looks seriously sad when it is short.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with you . Depending on the color . It can age you . I also agree that an outdated hairstyle ages you faster . Last week I saw a woman ( late 60's early 70's ) in hot pants and she had her hair parted in the middle waist length . It was a locked in the 60's look .I think you are right in that it is the allover appearance that is the most important and for some hair color is a small part of it . I do not think that any of the board members are trying to desperately look younger by coloring their hair . They just want to look nicer than they do with gray hair . Also for me the color gives my hair some body . Otherwise it is pretty limp. I have never had botox but if I wasn't so cheap I would consider a small lift .

I am in a place where people walk all the time, so I see lot of women that I do not know. Here are my nominations for most cost effective age-wiping strategies. To be attractive to men in middle age, a woman really wants to suggest vitality and energy toward life.

Stand up straight. Try to keep trim and fit. Get a good hair cut, whether colored or not. Smile, or at least don't have that "I am frightened of/pissed at/the world look". Wear stylish jeans or other clothes. Avoid athletic shoes unless you are jogging or working out.

Women and men have every right to look any way they want. These are just my observations of what tends to look good to men, given that one cannot truly turn back the clock.

Ha

Well.... about 2 years ago I had decided to retire and had a nice haircut. It kept looking good and it occurred to me to let it grow. It just kept looking good and so I managed to not have my hair cut for over 18 months - saving a ton of $$ in the process. Plus it's such a refreshing aging hippie look...:D

I am about 99.5% dark brown hair, just a little gray, so I don't dye it. My hair is mid-back length now and it's pretty weird to look in the mirror and look like I'm in my 40s and I'm almost 63. Not a bad thing, just weird.

People were talking about long hair that got lighter as it went up - mine is lighter at the bottom, from being out in the sun longer :LOL: and darker near the roots. Go figure.

Fluorescent yellow at the moment, though fairly faded, it is actually time to bleach and dye again. Been dyeing it interesting shades for 19 years now, iirc. :)

Transitioning to Gray Hair: How to Stop Dyeing and Go Natural - Going Gray Looking Great!

Some of these women look better gray than dyed in my opinion. I find the ones that look best have a great style.

I like to remember that age is nothing more than a number. Any attempts at improving my appearance I do it for myself, not to try and convince anyone that I might be younger than I am.

Ha, I think you have hit it on the head. Attitude goes a long way. I know the way I dress often ages me, because I am one of those lazy peeps always in jeans and hiking shoes. It makes me look dumpy and frumpy.

No, I never have colored it, not through a principled decision at all, but just because it never occurred to me. But having read previous discussion in this thread, now I'm thinking about it. It sounds like fun. I just asked my wife about it, and she said, no, because it will turn orange here in Hawaii, due to the sun. She referred to the color as "Ronald Reagan orange" or the "Howdy Doody look". So I appeal to your expertise -- can orange be easily and economically avoided?

For some time now, I have been getting the checking-out, where a stranger says something to make me turn around - then abruptly loses interest when he sees I'm quite a lot older than he'd judged, based on the rear view. Very creepy feeling.

Amethyst

I am in a place where people walk all the time, so I see lot of women that I do not know. Here are my nominations for most cost effective age-wiping strategies. To be attractive to men in middle age, a woman really wants to suggest vitality and energy toward life.

Stand up straight. Try to keep trim and fit. Get a good hair cut, whether colored or not. Smile, or at least don't have that "I am frightened of/pissed at/the world look". Wear stylish jeans or other clothes. Avoid athletic shoes unless you are jogging or working out.

Women and men have every right to look any way they want. These are just my observations of what tends to look good to men, given that one cannot truly turn back the clock.

Ha

For some time now, I have been getting the checking-out, where a stranger says something to make me turn around - then abruptly loses interest when he sees I'm quite a lot older than he'd judged, based on the rear view. Very creepy feeling.

Amethyst
Well, it means you look young, so it is a compliment. Anyway, this guy would never be me. I am just an observant and an appreciative man.

Ha

Sorry but I don't get the JJill reference . Except for certain items JJill has slightly hipper classics . Their travel clothes are great easy pieces and their linen items are nice . They really make some perfect year round items for Florida . What should we older women be wearing ? Please do not say Alfred Dunner as that is what my 95 year old Mom wears . :)

I wore Eddie Bauer clothes in my early thirties. Not sure if I should worry that I looked too old, too young, or just right in them?

I have the best personal shopper, and even better, I get to sleep with him every night!

Sorry but I don't get the JJill reference . Except for certain items JJill has slightly hipper classics . Their travel clothes are great easy pieces and their linen items are nice . They really make some perfect year round items for Florida . What should we older women be wearing ? Please do not say Alfred Dunner as that is what my 95 year old Mom wears . :)
Whatever is best for your body type and the event you are attending or the "audience" you will be near. Make sure it is a good fit.
With the exception of clothes designed for teenagers, wear what you feel best in.
I am fond of V neck short sleeve shirts and tank tops paired with a miniskirt, pretty sandals and beaded necklaces. I live in my sleeveless cotton sundresses in temps above 80F.
I have the figure and legs to wear both and could care less what people think of a 52 year young woman looking sassy and sexy.
Read it and weep! :LOL:

Transitioning to Gray Hair: How to Stop Dyeing and Go Natural - Going Gray Looking Great!

Some of these women look better gray than dyed in my opinion. I find the ones that look best have a great style.

Thank you for that. I agree totally.
Just how I feel about my own hair. Who am I kidding if I dye my almost all silver hair? It grows so fast and leaves a halo of white around my forehead in a couple weeks...just like some of the girlfriends who are pushing me to dye mine... I just don't have the nerve to tell them that they aren't fooling me with their "brown" hair (with the white roots).
I think, tho, if my face were a mass of wrinkles I might dye my hair dark in an attempt to look younger, but my mom started me on moisturizers at 12 so I'm not (yeah, I will learn eventually to upload a photo of myself...I will).
And I found a young salon owner who's probably in her early 30's who gave me a style that looks good on me just to CYA myself more.:D
My hair was to my waist 3 days ago, but I just got tired of wearing a ponytail and started to feel it looked aging so...snip, snip...

I highlight mine to keep it blonde - not to cover the gray. Although I've been starting to see a few more gray strands here and there as the years go on.

Thank you for that. I agree totally.
Just how I feel about my own hair. Who am I kidding if I dye my almost all silver hair? .

Silver hair is pretty ! If I thought my hair would be silver I would never dye it . Well as long as my older sister stopped dying hers .:)

I go about twice a year to buy clothes with a good friend who makes me actually try stuff on and find stuff that fits and is flattering. If it was up to me to buy clothes, I'd be in jeans and that Eddie Bauer shirt my DH bought for himself. Throw in a couple of band t-shirts and I'd be done.

JJill is what my mom wears, I think. And that Chicos stuff, too. She's pretty fashionable, but she looks her age group. I probably look younger than my age group, but that is because I am a sloppy dresser and keep up with younger folks and their music and hobbies. One of my hoop friends cracked me up with some pictures she posted of her prom on FB, circa 2006. Considering my last prom was in 1988...

But you'd be surprised at how much you can have in common with younger folks, especially as the peeps in my age category are consumed with their kids and too busy to hang out.

I doubt I'd color my hair--but I do have these awesome feathers! Have y'all heard about them? The hoop community has been all over them. They are clamped onto a few strands of your own hair and are long colored feathers that hang down like your own hair (attached right at the scalp). I've had these in for about 2 months now. You can just sort of see them flash when I move my hair--I've got purple, orange, blue/white stripe, and a little bit of white. I love them! Just enough hippie but not overboard! And you can wash and brush your hair same as always. Pretty cool!

I colored last in 2007 and don't plan to any time soon. I'm like my mom, a slow grayer though. My niece who is 21 years younger has more gray than I.

I doubt I'd color my hair--but I do have these awesome feathers! Have y'all heard about them? The hoop community has been all over them. They are clamped onto a few strands of your own hair and are long colored feathers that hang down like your own hair (attached right at the scalp). I've had these in for about 2 months now. You can just sort of see them flash when I move my hair--I've got purple, orange, blue/white stripe, and a little bit of white. I love them! Just enough hippie but not overboard! And you can wash and brush your hair same as always. Pretty cool!

Believe it or not, I think just one of these would look good in my hair but have no idea where to get them. I'd try it myself, and have seen them out and about occasionally here in Phoenix on gals in their 20's and early 30's.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, haven't seen those - now you have me curious! Do you have a link showing what they look like?

I've seen those, Sarah. I'll have them woven into my hair after I stop in at the tattoo parlor and get a sleeve inked :)

Back
Top Bottom