do you have something that "drives you" now that you dont work?

This is an interesting question. I would have said no, since ERing I have been lazing around and poking my nose into a lot of different areas, on a very casual basis. After thinking about the OP question though, and completing some naval contemplation, I would have to say Yes. I have been driven by the realization of time freedom to explore casual interests, learning opportunities, and even exploring some odd ball financial opportunities. All of these, have been approached with a relaxed feeling of "if I can't get the particular thing done this week, then next week or even next month is fine as well. Recent accomplishments included taking the class for a CHL, something I've wanted to do for several years, I just wouldn't devote the time to do it. I'm actively engaged in sourcing a decent but affordable MIG welder, and attempting to locate reasonable training in the basics of welding - again something I've thought about off and on for 30 years or so, just never would take the resources and time to pursue it. You get the idea. I suppose I'm driven by the the realization of finally having the freedom of time and resources to pursue those nagging little things that I have often thought of through the years, but the pressures of job, family time, finances, and patience to follow through, just were in such short supply, that I put them off till later.
Later is Now!

What have you found for a reason to keep going, what drives you now?

- Volunteer adult literacy tutoring;
- Working out;
- Enjoying the outdoors (summer: hiking and kayaking; winter: snowshoeing, X-C skiing);
- Serving as "Service Officer" for the local American Legion post. This involves helping people with paperwork such as applications for for VA medical care; managing/distributing a garage full of donated medical equipment that we lend out to local residents; chairing the Scholarship Committee);
- Traveling from time to time;
- Yard work.

I'm actively engaged in sourcing a decent but affordable MIG welder, and attempting to locate reasonable training in the basics of welding - again something I've thought about off and on for 30 years or so, just never would take the resources and time to pursue it.

For the training you might check with your local community college (if there's one around). Our CC offers all levels of welding training, from very basic through advanced and specialized.

My Grandad, who was a welder at a shipyard during WWII and continued welding well into his 70's, went to the CC and took some welding classes just to see if there was anything new that he could pick up on......in his late 60's. His college instructor had been taught to weld by an instructor that my Grandad had taught to weld shortly after his stint at the shipyard.

Great story Goonie
Fortunately since I have time now, it is needed to find these classes. I indeed tried the local CC and the local high schools, a few of which even have shop, but no joy. It seems that either the school systems are so far out of touch with the community, that they refuse to offer after hours classes for non-high school age kids, or they just don't offer those shop type of classes. So far I have found 1 CC and 1 high school that does offer it, but they are over 35 miles away, and the classes are spread over several months, all late at night. And they are not in the best part of the areas, sort of why I completed the CHL first. Seems that there are some disadvantages to living in the tech corridor of far North Dallas. A serious lack of trade school type of training. I even talked to the few local welding shops and they claim to be either self taught or trained by military or shop training, many years ago. But as the OP's original question, it is a drive of mine to find it, so now that I have the time to pursue, I will continue the hunt.
Thanks for the suggestion.

The epiphany a couple years ago in my own life was that ER isn’t what I really want, even though I thought it was what I wanted for many years as I worked tirelessly toward that goal. In my case, I realized as soon as I had it that what I really wanted was the freedom to pursue my passions as work, regardless of how much or how little income they generate; the freedom to be “selfishly employed,” as I like to say. Obviously FI doesn’t always involve ER, even though in my simple mind I failed to separate the two for many years.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

DW and I have started turning recycling into a hobby. It's short term, and will go on autopilot soon, but we're trying to get down to one bag of landfill trash/week. The recycling part is easy, just take some bins and chuck stuff in the appropriate one. We're also starting a worm composter to take care of all our non-meat food wastes. We live in an area where the ground is just dead sand, and since we love to garden and landscape we've decided to "terraform" the wasteland so we can actually grow things. The worm castings will help a lot. And we have dogs to take care of the meat waste, and eat half of ours too :)

It's sort of fun, and we feel good about it. It certainly doesn't "drive" us though. I don't think anything drives us. We're just keeping busy with whatever strikes our fancy, and having a lot of fun. Maybe someday we'll get bored, but I really don't see it happening anytime soon.

Harley

Jeff, I totally understand . I retired and found I needed something to occupy my time . I had no interest in anything that would require an alarm clock or a scheldue . I was not ready for volunteering and I had taken a few classes . That's when I discovered that I really enjoy seling on ebay . As a child I always had a little business going selling my comics or whatever so maybe this was a buried passion . I can spend as much or as little time as I want on it . I don't need the extra money so it's in a seperate account and will be spent on my daughter & grandson .

Jeff, I totally understand . I retired and found I needed something to occupy my time . I had no interest in anything that would require an alarm clock or a scheldue . I was not ready for volunteering and I had taken a few classes . That's when I discovered that I really enjoy seling on ebay . As a child I always had a little business going selling my comics or whatever so maybe this was a buried passion . I can spend as much or as little time as I want on it . I don't need the extra money so it's in a seperate account and will be spent on my daughter & grandson .

M - That's exactly the type of "selfish emlpoyment" I'm talking about ... the kind of thing you probably wouldn't/shouldn't quit a "real job" to pursue earlier in life, but you can enjoy once you have FI. And who knows, sometimes - once you allow yourself the freedom of not caring about the money - the money will come to you easier than you might think. If nothing else, this type of activity makes you worry a little less about your investments, since you start to have a least a modest income stream on the side.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

Gave blood today (I do it every 8 weeks).

- Ron

As a person who received blood on numerous occasions (and who couldn't ever give any), thanks.

It saved my life at least twice and there's nothing else quite like that new blood feeling! One time, I was in such poor shape before getting blood that I could barely breathe and lift my head at the same time. Two pints later (and a day and a half) and I was jet-skiing again.

Mike D. - happy to still be here.

Last edited:
As a person who recieved blood on numerous occasions (and who couldn't ever give any), thanks.

It saved my life at least twice and there's nothing else quite like that new blood feeling! One time, I was in such poor shape before getting blood that I could barely breathe and lift my head at the same time. Two pints later (and a day and a half) and I was jet-skiing again.

Mike D. - happy to still be here.

Mike -

Glad to hear it, though watch the jet skiing, as it kills more folks (including innocent bystandards) than any other type of watersport. Just hate to see that "new blood" go to waste.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

In my case, I realized as soon as I had it that what I really wanted was the freedom to pursue my passions as work, regardless of how much or how little income they generate; the freedom to be “selfishly employed,” as I like to say.
By any chance, Jeff, have you learned how to surf yet?

I took a Master Gardener program through the Cooperative Extension program locally. I now am the project leader of an organic vegetable garden where we teach the public about vegetable gardening. That can take anywhere from 6 to 19 hours a week.

Besides learning how to vegetable garden, I get free organic vegetables, fruits and grapes for doing the work. It's a good trade off.

As a person who received blood on numerous occasions (and who couldn't ever give any), thanks.

Thanks for your words! Good to hear from somebody who's on the "receiving end".

- Ron

I don't see how anyone with a house and a yard would lack for something to do.

Agreed. Still living in a house we had built 31 years ago, I do almost all maintenance, repairs, minor upgrades myself. I figure it saves me several kilobucks a year and there is always something or the other on the list I could be doing. It's just enough to make me appreciate afternoon naps and other leisure time.......

The ultimate goal for every (senior) is to shoot their age, preferably on an 18 hole regulation course. My Dad did it first at 76 and at least once in his 80's and he's still playing 2-3 times/week at age 86...go Dad!

That's great! I hope I'm alive and playing at 86. Not playing today, need a rest. Played 5 straight days last week. ER sure is tough. :D

Im thinking I'm going to be needing something to drive me now that Ive given up my paid job.
Thinking maybe get more involved in working out (but first need docs approval as I just had foot surgery 6wks ago)
maybe volunteer?

What have you found for a reason to keep going, what drives you now?

Well, my wife, whom I married 38 years ago was raised in a country environment which she always wanted to get back to. So, almost 10 years ago after $$$ rat race careers in big cities yada yada, we ER'd and moved to 7 acres in SW Oregon and started a little goat farm (they are so cute). So what drives me now? Well, the rooster starts at about 5:30 am shortly thereafter the ducks and the geese join in and the baby goats want their mamas and....THAT'S WHAT DRIVES ME OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING! Plus a swift kick furnished by my lovely wife....:D

Well, there's always the DW "driving" things (just kidding, dear)...

We've always tried to be involved in local organizations that actually do something where we live - as opposed to the "name" organizations that look good on the social resume but don't get things done - but while I was w%rk!ng, it was difficult/impossible to find enough time. Now that we do have time, we've become very involved in the HOA on the lake where we live. Badgering governmental agencies, helping residents work through the bureaucratic maze, trying to restore the lake to its former healthy condition, etc.

Volunteering can be almost as frustrating as w%rk!ng, and you can put in as many hours as you've got available. A lot of folks who have great skills shy away from jumping in, but there's always more than enough to do. The psychic rewards can be sizable, and it keeps me out of the house!
Help me out...DW = _____ Wife

Thanks, Dave

I'm not ER'd yet, so perhaps you don't want to hear from me...but I have thought about what I'll do. I plan to "rehire", so I will work at a low-stress job ("ok boss, which way do I push the broom now?") for 2-3 days a week just to keep some social relationships, keep some structure to my life, and give me a little extra spending cash. (I'm exaggerating about the type of job...but I certainly won't work in the corporate world...rather something fun that pays about minimum wage).

In addition, I see retirement as peppered with some travel (3-4 weeks/year), trips to see family (1-2 weeks/year), hobbies (I do woodworking, attend car shows, and personal finance things are interesting to me), social clubs (likely form a euchre club, join a bowling league), some volunteer work, and spending some relaxing time with my wife.

In addition, there are a few things I've wanted to do all my life, but never had the time or money...so that will change. Call these part of travel if you like, but I see them as more experiental. For example, learning scuba diving, driving a Ferrarri, riding an elephant, driving a Zamboni machine, being at a major stock market while it's active (not necessarily on the floor, but at least watching through a window), touring certain types of manufacturing plants (would love to see how they make potato chips and get a free sample at the end), visit some famous roadside tourist things (have you ever seen the large rubber stamp in Cleveland? :duh:), taking a high-performance driving course, seeing a football game in every stadium in the US (already have been to 6, so only about 18 more to go), go to the Tonight Show taping, etc. (think I'll start a new thread on this)

Many of those will have to be done early...I don't want to be trapesing (sp?) through Australia looking at Ayers Rock when I'm 92. But that's doable...as my ER plan is about 53 (currently 46).

Dave

As you can see, it's pretty spread out.

Help me out...DW = _____ Wife

Thanks, Dave

Lessee, depending on the circumstances you could add any adjective, but it's normally "Dear", "Darling", Dearest", or anything else I can get away with...:cool:

Back in the day, it was "dependent wife", but that dog don't hunt anymore.

Back
Top Bottom