Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked at the same place for 25 years and had thought I'd like a quiet out to things. My friends talked me into the big pizza/beer party thing. I was really glad. I'd requested none of the corporate speeches and corporate rah-rah. Just some food and beer at a neighborhood establishement. It turned out to be really nice and I will remember it for a long while. It made the years seem less futile than I often thought. Even though it wasn't the intimate scene, there were a large number of people who had a few parting words, one on one, about how I can helped make their work life easier or better. Twenty five years is no short time and it seemed to add some value to what seemed at times like pure pain and misery.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I should also state that ALL of my old co-workers friends had already retired out many years prior to my leaving....the last one had bailed out in about '95. Everyone in the old crew ALWAYS watched out for each other.....Not so with the newer bunch, they were all (with only 1 exception) only looking out for old #1, and didn't give a rip about anyone else!

So to not have a gala celebration was no big deal. And the one guy that was the exception, understood completely, as he had done the same when he retired from his former employer before coming to us.

However, I did go around to the other departments a few days AFTER my official retirement date, and talked with the 3 or 4 guys who were old friends and had about the same years of service as me. Had a good time, and accepted their heart-felt 'congrats'. And I still drop by once in a while to chew the fat with those 3 or 4 guys.

Plus when I ER'd, I switched from in the regular employee's Union Local, over to the Union's Retiree Chapter. So I get around to visit with the my old Local's officers, to swap info on employee/employer/retiree issues. Then I try to keep the other retirees updated on the tissues that affect us...like any changes in insurance coverage, or other benefits, the such as that.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

When I ER I just want to walk away. There are only a couple of people who I respect at all here. Most are just a bunch of lazy, back-stabbing knuckleheads who just try to create gossip and friction between co-workers for their own enjoyment. Example: someone made an innocent remark about soul food, someone complained and then all of a sudden my boss is telling ME to look into a possible racial problem among the staff. I always seem to get to do his dirty work. Geez. I think it has to do with their maturity levels. I have cordial relationships with all of them but wouldn't choose to "hang out" with any of them.
Chaos Abounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

When I announce my departure next year, I'm guessing they'll throw a huge bash...the day after I leave.
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's a tradition where I work that everyone (about 75 people) is invited to a pizza/beer party at a local restaurant when anyone leaves (retire, promotion, even leave on good terms). There is typically a humorous but good-spirited roast as well, each event lasts for 2-4 hours.

However, a small number of people have declined but they've agreed to a cake in the conference room with everyone late in the afternoon on their last day. Usually lasts about a half-hour, guest of honor usually says a few words but not always.

Either way, the guest of honor usually gets a gift worth about $100.

Even though I am the site Manager, I will go with the latter when I leave, even though I know it will disappoint some people I have worked with for almost 20 years.

What would you opt for (if you were you) - be honest?
I didn't want it and I had not it,because I am shy and quiet person
olla86 is offline   Reply With Quote