Does being FI help us or hurt us?

I only experience positive things from FI. As far as I am concerned, it is a financial status and should not affect who I am though it does open up opportunities to what I can do and I guess, this affects my lifestyle too. But I am basically quite thrifty, so any shortcuts I take by paying extra (because I can afford it) are usually well thought through as to whether they are necessary and whether they warrant the comfort they bring.

I've seen other FIs who have became arrogant, boastful, and aloof to others. A few of them acted like they can solve everything with money and raise their children that way. E.g, rather than spending time with their child, they will give the child another toy (e.g, latest tablet) never to see the child again until next toy becomes available.

I have to check myself time to time to not fall into a similar trap.

I find FI (or almost FI) very empowering. As a result, the annoyances seem much less bothersome and my personal response to them is less annoyance, not more.

Where I worked we called it "earning your KMA* hat". A lot of annoyances went away.

*KMA=Kiss My %ss.

Also, I get happier since I feel as if people around me have less power over me. They never had any to begin with, but still.

You might be one of the 297 people in America who can say that.

Are you married? Been in the military? Have a boss? Drive a car? File a tax return? Go through customs?

Various people have power, or can assert power over me, and I don't believe that will change until I am no longer living.

Ha

I've told the story before about reaching FI but continuing to w*rk because I had arrived at a place which was very satisfying. When that changed abruptly, I gave my notice and was gone before HR even had a chance to take my picture for the retiree newsletter. Who was it who said "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better." YMMV

Koolau, I would love to hear some details about your departure if you care to share. What was the straw that broke the camel's back? Did you walk out that day or give a few weeks of notice? Just curious.

I agree that it gives one choices and that is a good thing. I also think it 'can' make one lose perspective a bit. It is difficult to relate to someone who doesn't have the financial means to just buy their way out, or walk away. Most people do not have that luxury and it is good to keep perspective about that aspect.

Other than that, I don't see a downside though.

Very true. If often catch myself when I hear someone complaining that they don't have X amount of $$ to pay for something. Yet at the same time, I keep my opinion to myself because they actually could have that $$, but they spent it on $15 lunches, expensive vacations (because they deserved it), new cars, boats, etc... I just shrug and try to fake a bit of empathy.

Koolau, I would love to hear some details about your departure if you care to share. What was the straw that broke the camel's back? Did you walk out that day or give a few weeks of notice? Just curious.

Okay, the short version of the long story: I had always had a mental picture of the "perfect j*b". Essentially, I would be an expert in a narrow field of competency. It took me a long time to get there. I did it by identifying the field, early in my c@reer, becoming educated in that area and then demonstrating my competency by pulling off a couple of spectacular "saves" for Megacorp (no brag - just fact). Typically, Megacorps have a short memory (not to mention short attention span) and it was decided I should go back to being a "generalist".

Once I got the "news", I walked into my boss's office, the day after labor day, and informed him my last day in the office would be Friday. He was stunned for a moment. (My actual retirement date was weeks later since I had vacation saved.)

Before I left, my division director stopped at my desk and was also incredulous that I was leaving. I basically said "My new assignment is something I don't want to do. I don't have to do it because I'm retiring." Again, there was a stunned silence. The gratifying aftermath was hearing from a friend that the my director had relayed the story at some gathering, months later. The director then stated "When my time comes, I'd like to do it the way Ko'olau did it."

At one of my old employers, the retirement policy was "age plus years of service = 85 points" So when a person reached that 85 points, and was still working, it was referred to as their KMA Day. Basically, if the BS of work got to be too much, they told the company to "KMA, I am out of here"

As many others have already posted, FI = options. The option to continue working if you enjoy it, the option to leave if you don't, even the option to tell your boss "kiss my ass" if you really want them to know how you feel.

I'm a few months away from being fully vested, but I've already mentally checked out of the place I'm at, and starting to exhibit certain behaviors I associated with being (almost) FI. I've started telling people "no" a lot more to projects, conference calls, business trips, etc, I'm not interested in. I'm speaking my mind a lot more, and not holding back my opinions as much as I normally do. I'm far less tolerant of BS and politics in the workplace now, and call people out for it.

So, yes, my tolerance for BS, both in and out of the workplace, is decreasing.

I'm also the kind of person to buy my way out of things, or buy better service, regardless of FI. If I can afford it, I will buy first class or business class airline tickets instead of coach. Hell, I'd charter a private jet if I could afford it (I HATE commercial airline travel).

Once, I had a fridge break in the house and the repair people told me it would take a few days to get new parts. I bought a new one instead.

To me, money buys options, and for me, those options include not having to tolerate BS as much, not sticking around at a job I don't like, and fixing day-to-day problems much easier even though it means paying more to eliminate them.

On the flip side, I can't imagine not being FI. The mere thought of having to work/answer to someone else about where I am and what i'm doing is flat out intolerable!
I love the freedom having $ brings. I am happier now than any time in my life...except for a few times in college :). Being your own boss in all aspects is a good gig.

Being free to decide how I spend my time is of great value to me. Like many people here, I find myself constantly occupied and rarely bored, asking myself "How did I get all of this done when I was working?" :confused:

Of course, the answer is I didn't get it all done. :D

You might be one of the 297 people in America who can say that.

Are you married? Been in the military? Have a boss? Drive a car? File a tax return? Go through customs?

Various people have power, or can assert power over me, and I don't believe that will change until I am no longer living.

Ha

Fair enough. I was mostly talking though about the work environment where you trade income and in turn give someone a great deal of say on how you spend most of your time. I tend to forget that that agreement is voluntary, and being FI helps reminding me of that fact.

Also, just to be pedantic: I don't live in the US, am not married, never been in the military, am self-employed, (almost) never drive, and have an accountant that files my taxes. You do have me on the customs bit, I like to travel :)

On the flip side, I can't imagine not being FI. The mere thought of having to work/answer to someone else about where I am and what i'm doing is flat out intolerable!
I love the freedom having $ brings. I am happier now than any time in my life...except for a few times in college :). Being your own boss in all aspects is a good gig.

Agreed. Once I FIRE, my goal is to never work for anybody else again. Ever. No more jobs, no more bosses, no more compromises with my time.

Also, just to be pedantic: I don't live in the US, am not married, never been in the military, am self-employed, (almost) never drive, and have an accountant that files my taxes. You do have me on the customs bit, I like to travel :)
Well, you are indeed freer than 99% of people. Congratulations from a (relative) serf, who will now try to pry his foot out of his mouth.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom