Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Don't count Utah out as retirement location
Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

St George seems like a nice place. We were ther briefly last year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Check out Cedar City also - It has a university and a Shakespere festival every year.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

I forgot to mention Cedar City... we checked it out too. They have 4 seasons. Summers are not unbearable. Elevation over 4,000 feet. Lots of good quality plays, and not just in the summer time.. I think the festival there won an Emmy for best regional theater a few years ago. The university it small, but has a little charm. Real estate much more reasonable than St. George or Salt Lake City. It's also quite close to the national parks. We didn't buy property there, but were tempted to. If you like 4 seasons and a small town feel, it might be worth looking into. We looked at a 4 bedroom, 3 bath home with some upgrades and a view, that was listed for $290,000. It's a bit "isolated" in that you are 3 hours from Las Vegas and about the same from Salt Lake... But that's why some people move there...to get away from it all. P.S. Good fishing 15 miles up the canyon!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just came back from a short business trip to Utah last week. I spent the week at and around Hill AFB. I liked the area, beautiful scenery and I believe I could live & be happy there.....of course a bit more research will be needed. I had lunch with 3 Mormons my last day there, and they didn't try to eat me! A great place to eat near Hill AFB is Famous Dave's BBQ.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Last Oct., visited Las Vegas and then spent 2 days in Utah - visited Bryce Canyon and Zion and they are spectacular.
Also, drove around St. George and had a tour of the first Mormon Church that was built there. My wife and I were not too impressed with St. George.
It's a community that is growing up along the interstate. What is there to do in this town? Not much. There are maybe a half dozen golf courses, but did not check them out. It's a long way to Vegas and Salt Lake City.
Utah is beautiful, but too many Mormons - about 70% I believe. I mentioned polygamy to the woman that gave us the tour. She responded by saying any polygamists have been ex-communicated from the LDS. She also said that the Mormons abide by the law, which says polygamy is illegal. I translate that to mean, if it wasn't against the law, the LDS would still condone the practice.
Once again, I have to restate that Utah is beautiful, but I couldn't live there.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
Utah is beautiful, but too many Mormons - about 70% I believe. I mentioned polygamy to the woman that gave us the tour. She responded by saying any polygamists have been ex-communicated from the LDS. She also said that the Mormons abide by the law, which says polygamy is illegal. I translate that to mean, if it wasn't against the law, the LDS would still condone the practice.
Once again, I have to restate that Utah is beautiful, but I couldn't live there.
Don't confuse the areas outside of Salt Lake City with the Salt Lake City area. They are very different. Park City is even more progressive and more "normal" than SLC. The rural parts of the state tend to be very LDS. Plural marriges do exist in the state and it is not all that unusual to see a "married group" in the grocery store. It is rare in the larger cities but not so rare in the rural areas.

While it may be against the law and the "official" LDS church position is it is illegal and is not practiced...it is tolerated if not sanctioned as long as it is kept low key. Make no mistake, the LDS church has a lot of power in the state and in the country. It has over $10B in assets and has massive holdings in everything from hotels to cattle ranches (the largest in Florida). They say jump and the rest of the state says "how high". The church just bought out an entire retail mall block in the city. What they want...they get. The few non-LDS state senators and other government workers have little impact on the direction the state takes. It is truly Vatican West.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Don't confuse the areas outside of Salt Lake City with the Salt Lake City area. They are very different. Park City is even more progressive and more "normal" than SLC. The rural parts of the state tend to be very LDS. Plural marriges do exist in the state and it is not all that unusual to see a "married group" in the grocery store. It is rare in the larger cities but not so rare in the rural areas.

I'm not confused, as have never been in the Salt Lake area before.
Have only been to southern Utah.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

There is a world of difference between visiting and living in any locale.

I love the Keni Peninsula. Would I live there? Not on your life.

There are a variety of reasons why there can be a difference in the experience of a visitor and a resident. What is important is to know what differences are important to you.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #29

I have bicycled across Utah twice as part of tours. It's scenery is rivalled only
by Colorado overall. It is also the cleanest state. There is also almost no
roadside litter. Most western states are pretty clean away from the cities,
but Utah really stands out here (just one of the little things you notice while
cycling).