Downsizing and Moving in Retirement (Florida)

I think I previously mention the Sarasota to Venice area. Specifically Calusa Lakes. Gated community, strong well run HOA with dues under $1000 per year, lots of neighborhood activities, golf course but don’t have to join, 5 min drive to great beaches, close to Sarasota culture. Being close to the water tends to keep the temps cooler than inland. JMHO

The houses are all 20+ years old though. To me, they have a distinct "oldpeople live here" look. https://www.michaelsaunders.com/calusa-lakes-real-estate/?page-number=1

I think I previously mention the Sarasota to Venice area. Specifically Calusa Lakes. Gated community, strong well run HOA with dues under $1000 per year, lots of neighborhood activities, golf course but don’t have to join, 5 min drive to great beaches, close to Sarasota culture. Being close to the water tends to keep the temps cooler than inland. JMHO

Just something about the way they are decorated. Of course that could be ripped out and changed.

Also, they are only one story, with fake gables to make them look "taller."

Early to mid 1990's is hardly new construction.

If those homes look Old, what do you consider new? These are Contemporary Mediterranean styling, or there abouts, they have so much character and look great.

While we are living m/l fulltime in our Central Mexico home, we own a home in Gulfport FL. Living in a small walkable liberal town gives us a strong sense of community. Only 1 block from water (Boca Ciega Bay) yet in X zone that does not require flood insurance (but we buy the $450 annual plan).

About Gulfport Florida | Gulfport Florida

Wow, do they have a great booster section. I particularly love this at the end:

Come here tired and get revived.

Come here scorned and be accepted.
Come here misunderstood and find others like you.
Come here rushed and get laid-back.
Come here alone and make friends.
Come here happy and stay here happy.

Not sure I would be comfortable living quite that close to the water, ut I'm sure they have houses farther back :cool:

I see it is directly across the state from where we usually vacation. May need to pay a visit.

While we are living m/l fulltime in our Central Mexico home, we own a home in Gulfport FL. Living in a small walkable liberal town gives us a strong sense of community. Only 1 block from water (Boca Ciega Bay) yet in X zone that does not require flood insurance (but we buy the $450 annual plan).

Last edited:

That looks charming .

Homes seem very small and old in Gulfport.

We prefer to say, charming :D

Many have been renovated. Ours began its life as a 1946 2BR 1BA at 850 sq. ft. A minor update in the 1970s (enclosed the breezeway between kitchen and garage).

Major update by our sellers in 2009. Added a lux MBR suite with heat under MBA tile floor. All new hardwoods in rest of house, new kitchen, added laundry room. Now at 1744 sq. ft. Have seen many re-do's bigger and better as Gulfport has been 'discovered' in the years since we bought (2013). Our home has doubled in value with no improvements by us.

There are some new large homes going up on some of the last remaining lots. I prefer older homes, generally. Owned a former miner's cabin in a funky hill town in AZ for 10 years; it was built in 1911.

SWR,

Is distance to the airport of any concern to you (for yourselves or for your visitors which you might end up picking up/dropping off)?

As I have always traveled a lot and continue to do so in retirement, it is a factor in my choice of location. And it sure is nice to be 20 minutes from the airport as well as 20 minutes from the beach.

Picking up/dropping off guests is easy. And my condo neighbors are always offering to pick me up /drop me off. If they're not available (or I choose not to bother them due to inconvenient timing...super early/late or a holiday), Uber is a mere $20 fare.

My friend's father has a place in Venice, FL ...and she is always telling me about the long drive to/from the airport (I'm guessing Tampa?).

omni

SWR,

Is distance to the airport of any concern to you (for yourselves or for your visitors which you might end up picking up/dropping off)?

Not really. We are 45 minutes from JAX and about 2 hours from MCO. If I need to go I rent a car and drop it off. BTW when I was w*%k@#g I flew every other week and it was not an issue.

No more than 20mins from a nice beach and community amenities are way more important, that and not being in a flood zone.

We have lived in old and new homes. I actually prefer older. Our house was a 900 sq ft ranch built in 1950 and in the 70’s they built off the back of the house a dining room and master bedroom. We moved the adjoining wall to steal space from the dining room to add a master bathroom behind the bedroom. We love the mature fruit trees in our backyard and we can walk to many places including downtown where all the festivals are held.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom