Downsizing and Moving in Retirement (Florida)

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are seriously contemplating going from our 3,500sqft home to around 2,500sqft.

We have no time frame but are looking at 55+ Age restricted developments because we like all the amenities and want a responsible HOA.

We live in Florida and do not want to leave. The problem we are finding is that as we live walking distance to the beach, not that we go there that often, maybe once a month in summer. Most of the 55+ communities (55Places.com) are all well inland in what we consider to be the middle of nowhere, and if not the homes are older. We want a post 2006 home with concrete construction. we would like to be at the most 15 miles from the beach.

I know some folks her do not like HOAs but we do, so please refrain from commenting negatively about them.

I would love to hear opinions from folks that actually live in one of there communities.

We moved from 2 1800 sq ft homes to a new 1400 sq ft in a +55 park. I moved from 2.9 million people to 29 thousand in an adjacent county.

Florida is a different animal, however. Newer construction has had to move further and further inland.

We are seriously contemplating going from our 3,500sqft home to around 2,500sqft.

We have no time frame but are looking at 55+ Age restricted developments because we like all the amenities and want a responsible HOA.

We live in Florida and do not want to leave. The problem we are finding is that as we live walking distance to the beach, not that we go there that often, maybe once a month in summer. Most of the 55+ communities (55Places.com) are all well inland in what we consider to be the middle of nowhere, and if not the homes are older. We want a post 2006 home with concrete construction. we would like to be at the most 15 miles from the beach.

I know some folks her do not like HOAs but we do, so please refrain from commenting negatively about them.

I would love to hear opinions from folks that actually live in one of there communities.
I've seen your posts on CD surrounding this topic. I believe you also stated that you wish for warmer weather during the winter.
As you know, once you go south whether on the East or West Coast within close ocean distances, it can get very expensive and tends to be more crowded than your current area.
There are many reasonably priced gated HOA communities where I live in the New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area, but it is 1 hour to the beaches. Choices are less once you go to 55+ communities.
However, there is no snowbird infusion in the winter and lots to do in Tampa.

DW and I are agonizing about a FL purchase. BIL and SIL live inland from Ft. Myers, but they come back to Ohio in summer to escape the heat. We have several rentals with high equity and would love to do a 1031 exchange. We love the Destin area, as well as the St. Augustine area but are afraid of the cooler temp possibilities in winter. I can't stand the heat or humidity. I hope to learn from other's comments, too, on this subject. Our neighbor has a place in the Villages, and keeps telling us to go there.

DW and I are agonizing about a FL purchase. BIL and SIL live inland from Ft. Myers, but they come back to Ohio in summer to escape the heat. We have several rentals with high equity and would love to do a 1031 exchange. We love the Destin area, as well as the St. Augustine area but are afraid of the cooler temp possibilities in winter. I can't stand the heat or humidity. I hope to learn from other's comments, too, on this subject. Our neighbor has a place in the Villages, and keeps telling us to go there.
I believe that Shokwave could probably provide the inside scoop on temps in the St. Augustine area. As a general point, the temps in Northern FLA are reasonably cooler than South FLA especially in the winter. Some places can get snow from time to time. I believe you will get the summer heat/humidity mostly everywhere in FLA, although some more breezes nearer the shore.
Depending if you want a 55+ community, your choices change quite a bit.

As for the Villages, you should also check out if your "leanings" fit in.

Earlier in our search (before FIRE) we seriously considered coastal Florida, both east & gulf coasts. As you know, there’s a world of difference btwn “on the beach” and “within 15 miles of the beach” so, not sure which way you’re leaning. We would have considered only places on the water (beach or IC) but, that’s just us. Two locations that we thought were promising were: Sarasota (downtown condo or Longboat Key), and Jupiter (planned waterfront communities). From talking to friends, I think you can also find that in Destin but, can’t speak from personal experience. IIRC, you’re near Jacksonville, FL which (in my book) is a pretty nice location. But, maybe there aren’t planned 55+ communities there. Best of luck.

As I mentioned in another thread, we were considering 55+ communities in the Ocala area, which seems to be a decent location in terms of distance to a beach. However, when we compared expenses in an HOA community to our current location, it would probably increase our monthly costs around $700 per month ($400 HOA + $300 property tax). We were not able to find enough savings in the move to make up the difference. But since you're already living in FL, I'm guessing you wouldn't see a big increase in costs.

We currently are walking distance from the beach, < 2miles actually. But as mentioned we would be happy to move 15m inland to get out of an "A" flood zone to a more sedate "X" flood zone.

We do not want to be any further north than Daytona or Crystal river. we want a 55+ for the amenities mainly and do not mind the HOA and Tax costs. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Yes we currently live in St. Augustine there a not decent 55+ communities here although the weather is very tolerable. It can get chilly for a couple of weeks in the winter, and like a lot of Florida it can get stuffy in the Summer. The concerns are over rated though. We are used to the heat and humidity in the summer, and really you do get used to it. It does get worse the further south you go.

The West coast is VERY VERY crowded in the winter, and the traffic is border line unbearable to ridiculous. To me that is a lot worse than the humidity.

I personally would not buy inland but I have a friend who bought in a gated community in Wellington Florida complete with artificial lakes. It's not age restricted, but certainly very upscale. He likes it. Have you considered buying a condo on the intra-coastal?

We are not in or moving to Florida, but we are downsizing. Closing on current 4280 sqft home is July 9th, and closing on new 2675 sqft home is June 19th. We look forward to living on only one floor, the ground floor!

We visited the Del Webb 55 community at Ponte Vedra Beach a few years ago, renting one of their homes for a few nights to get a feel for the community. It was very nice, only a 10 minute drive to the beach and was in a new area (Nocatee). We ended up in a gated community in Bradenton which we really enjoy. It is hot in the summer, but very nice in fall and winter.

We currently are walking distance from the beach, < 2miles actually. But as mentioned we would be happy to move 15m inland to get out of an "A" flood zone to a more sedate "X" flood zone.
2 miles is a pretty good walk when all you want to do is head over to the beach to cool off in the afternoon. And play all day in the surf? Not much fun to walk 2 miles home, shower and try to hold together while you can get some dinner on the table.

Ha

2 miles is a pretty good walk when all you want to do is head over to the beach to cool off in the afternoon. And play all day in the surf? Not much fun to walk 2 miles home, shower and try to hold together while you can get some dinner on the table.

Ha

We do not go there that often. We live in a Country Club (Marsh Creek) with a private golf course, we do not play golf but like the way they keep the place. We are not members of the golf club. We really would like a community with a lot more amenities for social members.

We visited the Del Webb 55 community at Ponte Vedra Beach a few years ago, renting one of their homes for a few nights to get a feel for the community. It was very nice, only a 10 minute drive to the beach and was in a new area (Nocatee). We ended up in a gated community in Bradenton which we really enjoy. It is hot in the summer, but very nice in fall and winter.

Where about in Bradenton If you do not mine me asking?

We actually upsized in retirement. we went from a 1340 sq ft tri-level to a 1980 sq ft ranch. It's the largest house we've ever lived in actually :dance:

Tired of downsizing , we did not leave a big home just over 2000 sf. Moved to our country home barnaminium in the woods 1000sf . Just the two of us . We did the Texas thing we have a 1000sf home but a 3500sf garage workshop . Guess where all of the items from our last home are ?? In my Barn workshop !

Where about in Bradenton If you do not mine me asking?

We are in River Strand, an 1800-door golf, tennis and pickleball community. There are 7 pools and two fitness centers. Lots of similar communities around here, most are east of the I-75, which means about a 35-minute drive to the beaches. Single family homes run $300K to $900K, and various attached condo, coach-homes, etc in the $200K+ range.

.... We have no time frame but are looking at 55+ Age restricted developments because we like all the amenities and want a responsible HOA. ...

So you really don't care so much about it being 55+, just developments with amenities that are within walking distance of the beach. I would suspect that there would be plenty of those available depending on what amenities you need/desire.

For me I like the HOA deal. I don’t want my neighbor painting their house pea green and magenta. Although I stay away from the committees and board on our HOA all the same. What I don’t want is age restricted. For me little kids squealing in delight, watching youth and hearing a gurgle or rumble of a muscle car makes me smile! My community of streets is established and stable. I think I have a fear of becoming crotchety! I enjoy both old and young. I get the greatest kick out of my grandkids going to visit the neighbors who are in their 80’s and love to see them. I would love to share a cookie with a little kid when my grands are older. To each their own.

Yes we currently live in St. Augustine there a not decent 55+ communities here although the weather is very tolerable. It can get chilly for a couple of weeks in the winter, and like a lot of Florida it can get stuffy in the Summer. The concerns are over rated though. We are used to the heat and humidity in the summer, and really you do get used to it. It does get worse the further south you go.

Friends lived in Jacksonville for 3 years. They actually looked forward to the cooler temps of the winter months-(similar to early spring/fall type weather up north).

FL heat in the summer? Well, living in the Midwest in August is no picnic, either...

We do like the St. Auggie area. We would like to get out of a flood zone too. Although we have been high enough not to get affected by the last few Hurricanes. We would like a real single story verses a 1.5. We also like well managed HOAs.

It seems a lot more cost effective to buy used than new, even in the newer communities.

As mentioned previously downsizing for us means getting rid of the suite above the Garage, and the pool. The Irony being a lot of my neighbors are adding the room above the Garage (See Pic, it is an older one and ignore the FS Sign, it is NOT currently for sale)......

Attachments

• 314 Fiddler's Point Drive-110.jpg
    314 Fiddler's Point Drive-110.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 61
I lived in southeastern Florida (Palm Beach County) for age 16-23. My parents had a small house about 3 miles inland (5 miles to drive to the beach). We were able to have the windows open all day (no a/c) for about half the year, and I spent lots of time outdoors, especially in the morning.

Back then, anything west of I-95 was considered so hot and humid as to be not fit for human habitation. It has been quite a shock to hear friends and neighbors talking excitedly about moving to this or that new development in south Florida, and find out it is practically in the middle between the coasts...they must need to be inside with the a/c 24 hours a day.

Back then, anything west of I-95 was considered so hot and humid as to be not fit for human habitation.
Lived just off of 441 for 3 years. Coming from the Midwest, I was shocked by how miserable September was. I had to squeegee my car windows every morning due to the dew: at near 80 degrees.

I did adapt and enjoy though. A/C is a wonderful thing. I did not like the snowbird traffic and crowds. That ultimately got me out.

As for way inland, mom and dad bought a lot smack in the middle of the state, NE of Ocala. Very peaceful and away from everything. It is worth less today than in the 1980s. I think The Villages sucked the air out of the room which resulted in the depressed state of that land.

I lived in southeastern Florida (Palm Beach County) for age 16-23. My parents had a small house about 3 miles inland (5 miles to drive to the beach). We were able to have the windows open all day (no a/c) for about half the year, and I spent lots of time outdoors, especially in the morning.

Back then, anything west of I-95 was considered so hot and humid as to be not fit for human habitation. It has been quite a shock to hear friends and neighbors talking excitedly about moving to this or that new development in south Florida, and find out it is practically in the middle between the coasts...they must need to be inside with the a/c 24 hours a day.
There are many posts about the Florida heat. All depends on one's make-up.
DGF and I truly love the heat, so we continue to do all activities in the summer. 80 and sunny better than 90 and humid, but 90 and humid much better for us than 30 and snow in the winter where we use to live.
I am on vacation in Memphis right now and we went to the zoo yesterday in 94 degree heat. Many families were there.

There are many posts about the Florida heat. All depends on one's make-up.
DGF and I truly love the heat, so we continue to do all activities in the summer. 80 and sunny better than 90 and humid, but 90 and humid much better for us than 30 and snow in the winter where we use to live.
I am on vacation in Memphis right now and we went to the zoo yesterday in 94 degree heat. Many families were there.
I have learned to appreciate heat and humidity. Seriously. With A/C, no worries.

Back
Top Bottom