Feelings of failure upon approaching semi-retirement

When I've told new people that I am ERed they either look at me with a" oh, so your are unemployed" look or they want too many details about how I did it and then want to classify me in as " oh, just another 1% er".

Exactly

It's a commonplace observation that men attach their self-esteem to their work. I guess I fooled myself into thinking that didn't apply to me. I told myself, "My identity isn't wrapped up in my work. I'm a spiritual person. I have never valued achievement along conventional lines." Et cetera.

Over the past few days, though, I've been experiencing a low mood that I've finally identified as shame -- that feeling you get when you think there is something bad wrong with you, you are defective. "You are a loser" is how I usually experience it.

And this feeling of failure or shame is related to pulling away from my career, as I approach semi-retirement. There's a sense that, "That's it. That's the most you'll ever achieve in your career" (which, by the way, has been all right but nothing exceptional, nothing that I can feel all that proud of).

I'm about 5 months from downshifting to part-time, so I'm pulling away from some responsibilities, and they are looking for a replacement. It's close enough to feel real, I guess.

I will leave there eventually, though not right away. I'll continue to work part-time for a while. Part of the "self-esteem" issue, if you want to call it that, is that the alternative part-time jobs available would be a significant drop in status. It makes me feel silly to say that -- I've always told myself that status is a thing other people chase after and I don't care about. But it turns out, it does matter to me. I know that because I can feel a tinge of shame when I think about the drop in status. It is only partly "how it would look," it is more just an ingrained, internalized sense of knowing that I'd be taking a big drop in professional status or image or whatever.

That is adding to my sense that it's over ("it" being my career), I've done all I'm ever going to do, it's all downhill from here, that's all you'll achieve. I know a lot of people who've done a lot more than I did with their careers. So I'm feeling this sense of being a loser or failure, as I pull away from work. I'm discovering that I have a sense of shame about it. That is completely not what I expected.

It's all ego, I know. It's all stupid, I know. It's all something I ought to be more advanced about, I know. It took me a couple of days to even figure out what I was feeling, because I didn't expect it, it seemed so alien from how I think about myself and work, usually.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like that. I'm not really looking for pat advice about how our identity shouldn't be wrapped up in our work, etc. -- I know all that; that's part of why I am surprised to be feeling this way. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I just wanted to express how I was feeling and see if anyone else could relate.

First, let me thank you for starting what turned out to be a very interesting thread!

I have been "part time" (3 days/week) by my own choice for about 4 yars now, after a 25+ year career in management/accounting for a small company. For me the transisition to part time was very easy and has worked well to reduce management stress, etc.

Now that I am preparing to fully retire, I am feeling many of the things you describe in your original post. When I went part time I had no concerns, and have had no regrets. I am glad to see in your more recent post that many of those feelings have subsided.

The main main concern for me in fully retiring is how/whether it will be feasible to maintain some of the personal relationships with co-workers without the connections our careers provide. I have plenty of friends, family, and interests outside of my work, so I am blessed in that way. But realistically I expect that my work relationships will change and I'm not sure how I will like that.

but over all, I think having more free time and none of the shackles of the workplace will be a positive thing.

Best to you, and keep us posted as to how it goes.

The main main concern for me in fully retiring is how/whether it will be feasible to maintain some of the personal relationships with co-workers without the connections our careers provide.

My experience is that even the strongest of work friendships will fade somewhat .. my best friend from work is still a great friend, but we have much less to talk about over lunch.. when he retires, I'm sure we'll reconnect at the fishing hole or the golf course, but until then, we won't be as close as we used to be. Other friends from work have already disconnected with me and I with them because the common thread no longer exists.. YMMV, but be prepared just in case.

My experience is that even the strongest of work friendships will fade somewhat .. my best friend from work is still a great friend, but we have much less to talk about over lunch.. when he retires, I'm sure we'll reconnect at the fishing hole or the golf course, but until then, we won't be as close as we used to be. Other friends from work have already disconnected with me and I with them because the common thread no longer exists.. YMMV, but be prepared just in case.

Thanks for the thoughts Tailgate. This is pretty much what I expect. While don't look forward to that exactly, I also know that several of my peers and work friends will be retiring over the next few years, so the workplace relationships will be changing regardless. I may as well "get the ball rolling" by RE on my terms!

Actually this post made me think of something. Has anyone written their obituary and chronicled the life accomplishments that they would like to be known for? I've occasionally read about doing that as an introspection exercise. I've never done it myself but have periodically thought about doing it.

Thing is...looking forward...like the others have said...you will lose touch with your work friends in the coming year. Then when those work friends retire...they may want to resume a friendship since they are still adjusting and reaching out. Not everyone can adjust to retirement, you know. But by then, you have moved on with your life and have other real friends to share life with. Who wants to rehash something in common with work? Why do you think we escaped from work in the first place? Everyone's lives are moving along at different levels.

Along the same lines, for me...There's a few retirees that have a breakfast club together occasionally. I don't care to see them anymore since I don't enjoy living life in the past with a few people I did not enjoy being with while I was working.

About the obit...Yes...I have mine written up. Just a quick passing blurb about work but more about relationships and friends. That's what's really important.

Last edited:
Actually this post made me think of something. Has anyone written their obituary and chronicled the life accomplishments that they would like to be known for? I've occasionally read about doing that as an introspection exercise. I've never done it myself but have periodically thought about doing it.
Yes, our alumni association publishes guidelines on writing 400-word obituaries for the magazine and newspapers: http://www.usna.com/document.doc?id=43

The main reason for the guidelines is that the alum's death a terrible time for the family to attempt the obituary, so it frequently falls to a well-meaning friend or a classmate.

I can barely write a blog post in 400 words, let alone an obit, so it seemed like an interesting challenge. When I finished mine, my spouse asked me to write hers too. And now I have to review them every few years and update as necessary.

Damn-- I just reviewed mine and found a typo. Believe it or not, I spelled "retirement" wrong. But the rest of it is still snarky, irreverent, and cheerful.

That's been an amusing exercise, but on the serious side I suppose that I'll have to write my Dad's obituary in the next year or two. I guess the "good" news is that Alzheimer's gives you ample notice of your prep time.

That is adding to my sense that it's over ("it" being my career), I've done all I'm ever going to do, it's all downhill from here, that's all you'll achieve. I know a lot of people who've done a lot more than I did with their careers. So I'm feeling this sense of being a loser or failure, as I pull away from work. I'm discovering that I have a sense of shame about it. That is completely not what I expected.
I had that feeling at first when I ER'd at 41 (45 now). I realized though you can look at "retirement" as a spectrum. It doesn't have to mean you're done with everything and you spend your days relaxing and doing nothing. I'd guess many here do it that way, but I never related to that.

Instead, I have viewed it that I simply switched careers and now I'm an investor. I am always looking for new investment opportunities, and still thinking and researching possible new business or product ideas. Doing it at my own relaxed pace, but still doing it. If a great opportunity is destined to come my way, I think I'm actually in a better position now to recognize it, research it and seize it than if I were heads-down every day in an office job.

And if it doesn't come, no problem. But it could, and might in fact, you never know. Your 9-5 office career may be ending, but your career as an investor never has to be over.

I had that feeling at first when I ER'd at 41 (45 now). I realized though you can look at "retirement" as a spectrum. It doesn't have to mean you're done with everything and you spend your days relaxing and doing nothing. I'd guess many here do it that way, but I never related to that.

Instead, I have viewed it that I simply switched careers and now I'm an investor. I am always looking for new investment opportunities, and still thinking and researching possible new business or product ideas. Doing it at my own relaxed pace, but still doing it. If a great opportunity is destined to come my way, I think I'm actually in a better position now to recognize it, research it and seize it than if I were heads-down every day in an office job.

And if it doesn't come, no problem. But it could, and might in fact, you never know. Your 9-5 office career may be ending, but your career as an investor never has to be over.

Very well put, Kabekew!

I had the benefit of retiring a few times. The first was with Megacorp at 49. Everyone asked why they selected me. I said they didn't. In those days, everyone had to get the same offer. When I told management I was going they asked why. I said because you are paying me until Wednesday at morning coffee break when I don't work here. So if I can get equivalent pay for 3 days a week I am ahead of the game!

I went on to consult and get 2 CEO positions. By that time, retiring was easy! I decided to stay retired at 60. 11 years ago.

Now I just deal with other retirees on equal terms. People sometimes ask what I did but they are really just being polite/nosy. I let myself be judged by who I am not what I did.

Of course we will always be judged in life. But now I just pick the people I like.

So in summary, it will be a transition, but eventually you will start liking yourself for who you are and not what you did.

I felt guilty for about 9 nano seconds after driving off the company parking lot Dec 31st. it felt better and more liberating than the day DW and I drove away from NAS Lemoore, CA, US Navy Base after 4 years in the "Blue Canoe"! if you can financially make it work.....the opportunities outside are endless. About the only thing we are short on is time.......

Back
Top Bottom