Finally did it.....

Backdraft57

Recycles dryer sheets
Registered here after reading and lurking for a year and pulled the plug and gave notice to retire first of June 2016. I'm a bit freaked out. What will life be like after 38 years in the fire service?
Reading many of your posts have given me hope there is life beyond working at something you love. I have also learned MUCH about portfolio risk and reward.
Funny how you can read posts and start feeling like you know the people.
I'm on an emotional roller coaster with one day feeling "what have I done I can't leave this" to "my God I can't take another minute".
If not for some of your posts I would think I alone was going mad.
This is a great community you have here and it's nice to step out of the shadow and join in.
Peace to you all and thanks for sharing all your wisdom to the unseen and unknown lurkers that are here every day reading and learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Welcome backdraft and thanks for your service! Congratulations on making that decision and starting your countdown calendar.

If you haven't seen them yet, there are two excellent resources here that might help you prepare for the "big day":

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/some-important-questions-to-answer-before-asking-can-i-retire-69999.html

and

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Glad you have come out from the shadows - we'll look forward to your contributions!

Thanks MB. I found the acronym site a while back after wondering why some were calling out "Robert Cranium" DH to so many! LOL

Backdraft57 - Congratulations! I gave notice the last week of November with an exit date of April 30, 2016. I felt the same way after I did it. Should have I stayed one more year? was work that bad?.........Now that it is one month later - I can't wait for April to get here. My family constantly start sentences "as soon as Dad is home full time.........." We can't wait to start our new adventure.

I'm on an emotional roller coaster with one day feeling "what have I done I can't leave this" to "my God I can't take another minute".

This is perfectly normal and a common experience. Not everyone has misgivings about pulling the plug but over the years here I gather that most have at least some. After all, it is a huge life change.

Trust me and others on this though: It is for the better and in about a year or so (if not sooner) you'll be wondering what you were concerned about.

Welcome Backdraft! (Loved that movie).

Yes we're it not for some of the posts here I might have thought I was quite nuts!

Enjoy your new freedom!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations!

There were 18 days between giving notice and my last day. I had about 3 "what have I done" days the week after making it official. A few days later I had the "I can't take another minute". That last week was sweet though...remember how it felt back in high school and summer vacation was on its way? The days were filled with anticipation. That was one roller coaster I really enjoyed. :)

As Jerry Jeff Walker says, Ya gotta have somethin' to do.

My brother tells me that you need at least 6 hobbies.

Work on that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom