Finally Free

Starry Night said:
Was recently sent a bumper sticker from a catering business in Asheville, NC that so aptly states:   DON'T POSTPONE JOY!
Love that bumper sticker. Can I steal it?

Congrats to Retire Soon. No more postponing, eh?

Retire Soon said:
We had our customary memory book signing on the last day also.  It was fun watching the kids writing things in each others'  books. What was really amusing is that they actully lined up to get my wife's autograph as well. I guess the 5th graders thought it was exciting to get the signature of the teacher's wife.

Retire Soon

I wonder if the office will have a memory book signing party for me? :LOL: I will be lucky if someone  brings doughnuts for our morning coffee.  :-\

DOG51 said:
I wonder if the office will have a memory book signing party for me? :LOL: I will be lucky if someone  brings doughnuts for our morning coffee.  :-\

My first ER, I left early and managed to duck most of the glad-handing and "party." My fellow worker bees inmates[/s did manange to produce a small cake which was quickly cut right before I cut out for the last time. My DW on the other hand, went the whole 9 yards with full blown company purchased party, 2 hour receiving line and many gifts from co-workers (all are now boxed up awaiting final disposition---the gifts not the co-workers).

When I leave this place I plan no party beyond a brief cake and soft drink social in the lunch room. I know I won't be allowed to escape that and in a way I think it will be nice to get the "closure" on my whole career with it. Closure is a good thing and some need it more than others. I don't have any real "issues" with my current job like I did my last one so a closure party or two will be nice. DW will be doing the same at her place of work.

The countdown continues....12 months 25 days and 5 hours...not that I am counting.... :D

SteveR said:
I know I won't be allowed to escape that and in a way I think it will be nice to get the "closure" on my whole career with it.  Closure is a good thing and some need it more than others.  I don't have any real "issues" with my current job like I did my last one so a closure party or two will be nice.  DW will be doing the same at her place of work. 
The countdown continues....12 months 25 days and 5 hours...not that I am counting.... :D
Sure you can. Tell everyone your last day is on Friday.

Then leave 9:30 AM Thursday morning.

Even the most paranoid cynics won't start trying to track you until after Thu lunch.

Closure can be over-rated. It can also be done at home or at a local restaurant with real friends, not just the people you had to work next to.

Nords said:
Sure you can.  Tell everyone your last day is on Friday.

Then leave 9:30 AM Thursday morning. 

Even the most paranoid cynics won't start trying to track you until after Thu lunch.

Closure can be over-rated.  It can also be done at home or at a local restaurant with real friends, not just the people you had to work next to.

I think it comes down to individual wants and desires rather than a "need" at least in my case. DW wants the party with her fellow worker bees. It is her desire to do so and I encourage it. For me, I don't care either way. I have a few folks here I care about but most everyone else is just a co-worker and some have been more a pain than others. Since there is no official "retirement" from here as such, I can fade out as I please. I have a year to think it over so I may change my mind a few times by then.

Retire Soon,
Congrats and welcome to the rest of your life. These first few days are ones to savor. Looking back, I remember the first few weeks of ER as akin to the feeling of falling in love the first time. Enjoy!

Congrats and wishing you good health and happiness !!!

Yup, I second ESRBob's point. My first week back in April was bliss ....... and that "first week" feeling has lingered these last three mths.

Freedom is priceless.

Now, ...... back to doing what I do best nowadays ...... goofing off in my backyard after a good workout (yeah, try weeding and mulching in the tropics) with my fine smorgasbord of fruit juices and finger foods and trusty laptop and kids in the pool and ..... time for a nap.  8)

Here's to the real life .......

I've throughly enjoyed the first few weeks of my retirement. A wonderful thing happened on Thursday. We finally sold our house after having it listed for 3 months.  I was beginning to get discouraged, as none of the homes in our neighborhood are selling in this San Diego suburb.  We ended up with a very short escrow which will close on July 28th. Our realtor says that a shorter escrow is a good thing because there is less time for something to go wrong. A moving van will pick up our household goods the day before escrow closes. We should be in our new home by August 2nd. We're anxious and looking forward to a little less congestion in Oregon and to no longer having to worry about house payments.

I first read ESRBob's book, "Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early" in November."  I just finished reading it again. I especially found comfort in Chapter 4, "Take 4% Forever."  I want to personally thank Bob Clyatt for all of his wisdom and experience.

Happy moving, Retire soon.

I'm glad you sold your house and hope the move to Oregon is a good move for you. Sounds like your retirement is off to a good start.

Bob's book is a good one, isn't it.

Retire Soon said:
We're anxious and looking forward to a little less congestion in Oregon and to no longer having to worry about house payments.

First task: trade in those plates!   ;) ;)

Did I miss your mention of your new community?

Brat,

Funny you mentioned license plates. Our moving company lady told us that there was a time not long ago when Californians who went to Oregon and Washington to look for real estate, would have to rent a car once arriving there in order to maintain some level of secrecy. DW also says we should get new plates  ASAP.  By the way, we're moving to Bend in Central Oregon.

Retire Soon

The care licence plate thing is not such a big deal now that you are in significant company.  It will make it much easier to avoid questions like, "What did you get for your house?". 

It used to be that former Californians paid more than what the locals would pay for homes and there was fear that Californians would pave over the state.  Now that there are significant land use restrictions sprawl isn't such a big fear and everyone is paying too much for housing.

Welcome to the State of Cascadia (a state of mind that includes N. CA, OR, WA and BC).  Things are really different here!

May I add my congratulations also, selling a house is such a nerve wracking business, not all real estate agents are competent. I have had both good and bad.

Keep us informed of how the move goes and what you learn about your new hometown :D

Lot's of luck
Kitty

Retire Soon said:
I've throughly enjoyed the first few weeks of my retirement. A wonderful thing happened on Thursday. We finally sold our house after having it listed for 3 months. I was beginning to get discouraged, as none of the homes in our neigborhood are selling in this San Diego suburb. We ended up with a very short escrow which will close on July 28th. Our realtor says that a shorter escrow is a good thing because there is less time for something to go wrong. A moving van will pick up our household goods the day before escrow closes. We should be in our new home by August 2nd. We're anxious and looking forward to a little less congestion in Oregon and to no longer having to worry about house payments.

I first read ESRBob's book, "Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early" in November." I just finished reading it again. I expecially found comfort in Chapter 4, "Take 4% Forever." I want to personally thank Bob Clyatt for all of his wisdom and experience.

Congratulations on selling the house, Retire Soon!

I spoke with friends just yesterday who are already in their new house in Virginia and have had their SD house on the market for three months. I found out during our conversation they finally got an offer (the first!) and it looks very solid with a short escrow.

Article in paper on Friday said San Diego home prices decreased in June 06 vs June 05.... first year-over-year decrease in ten years. You got out just in time!

Yes, Californiadreamer, I think we did get  out just in time.  My real estate agent says that the media is finally starting to realize that the market has slowed down. In our zip code, prices have dropped 2.9% from June 2005 to June 2006. Our escrow will close in 12 days, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

What a relief!  We've  now been in our Oregon home for 2 weeks.  We bought this house 2 years ago and own it free and clear from proceeds of the refinance of the home that we just sold in San Diego. This is the first time we've been mortgage free since we first became homeowners.

So far, my wife and I are much happier after leaving the hectic pace in Southern California.  We drove to the Cascades yesterday and were  pleasantly  surprised that there was such little traffic. We could drive several miles without ever  seeing another car.  The rivers and lakes are magnificent.

East San Diego County schools started on Monday and I'm  now better able to appreciate not having to be in the classroom again with 34 students.  I feel like I'm much more in control of my life since I'm no longer a  wage slave.  Freedom is so much more precious than money.

We feel both fortunate and grateful that we were able to sell our home close to the listing price.  Our house was the only one to sell in our neighborhood in the past two months. We've noticed on realtor.com that  three of the eight houses for sale in our development have recently lowered their asking price.  Homeowners are finally beginning to realize that the market is not what it was a year ago.

Early retirement is great.  It's nice not to have to have to pack my lunch at night  and  go to bed dreading the inevitable moment that my alarm clock will finally trigger the end of my slumber.  However,  I have to admit that I do feel a bit awkward when people ask me what I do for a living and  I respond with, "I'm retired."

Retire Soon,

Sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm a little envious yet inspired. Keep us posted on the good life in the Pacific NW.

Retire Soon said:
What a relief! We've now been in our Oregon home for 2 weeks. We bought this house 2 years ago and own it free and clear from proceeds of the refinance of the home that we just sold in San Diego. This is the first time we've been mortgage free since we first became homeowners.

So far, my wife and I are much happier after leaving the hectic pace in Southern California. We drove to the Cascades yesterday and were pleasantly surprised that there was such little traffic. We could drive several miles without ever seeing another car. The rivers and lakes are magnificent.

East San Diego County schools started on Monday and I'm now better able to appreciate not having to be in the classroom again with 34 students. I feel like I'm much more in control of my life since I'm no longer a wage slave. Freedom is so much more precious than money.

We feel both fortunate and grateful that we were able to sell our home close to the listing price. Our house was the only one to sell in our neighborhood in the past two months. We've noticed on realtor.com that three of the eight houses for sale in our development have recently lowered their asking price. Homeowners are finally beginning to realize that the market is not what it was a year ago.

Early retirement is great. It's nice not to have to have to pack my lunch at night and go to bed dreading the inevitable moment that my alarm clock will finally trigger the end of my slumber. However, I have to admit that I do feel a bit awkward when people ask me what I do for a living and I respond with, "I'm retired."

I get to go back to NJ for 16 weeks next week to finish my last teaching year in Newark NJ!

We are already down in NC sold our place in May, looks like it was the last to sell in the neighborhood!!

We have a small 40K mortgage, so I will probably spend a small time doing some part time work for the next 50 years of my life. I have a High school track coaching job lined up for next spring already.

Congrats on your move. By the way I talked to my Dept Chair yesterday and he told me I have 175 on my roll in 5 classes. Wondaful, he does not know i am leaving December yet. Papers went in a few days ago.

newguy888 said:
We are already down in NC sold our place in May, looks like it was the last to sell in the neighborhood!!

Your house may have been the most recent to sell, but it won't be the last. Housing markets react slowly to changes in market conditions compared to, say, equity markets. But they do react. Market forces will eventually bring it all to equilibrium. They always do!

youbet said:
Your house may have been the most recent to sell, but it won't be the last. Housing markets react slowly to changes in market conditions compared to, say, equity markets. But they do react. Market forces will eventually bring it all to equilibrium. They always do!

Indeed.

newguy888,

Congratulations on successfully reaching your goals. Selling your NJ home and moving to NC was a big accomplishment. You only have a few months left with your teaching career in NJ, then you'll be gone. You can probably see a lot of light at the end of the tunnel. Your remaining time will go fast and you'll probably really enjoy it, because you're almost at the finish line. Your classes are really packed like California. I always had 34 students for one class.

Back
Top Bottom